Bigdog

Bayside Build

I have already grown tired of having leaves and oak tassles collect in the sink so I devised a solution. The oaks drop leaves twice a year hear and when they do it is a mess. I was able to take a square 3/4" peice of starboard and cut it round and slightly larger than the opening of the sink. Then took a router and routed out part of the bottom edge to make a lip in the starboard. This allows it to sit inside the sink a little and not slide around the countertop. Them rounded the top edge with the router to give it a finished look.

Here is a shot of it upside down so you can see the edge of it.

And here it is when sitting on the sink.

The best part is this is the same material used for cutting boards so when not covering the sink I can turn it over use it as a trivet or cutting board. Server 2 purposes.

Brad

I have already grown tired of having leaves and oak tassles collect in the sink so I devised a solution. I was able to take a square 3/4" peice of starboard and cut it round and slightly larger than the opening of the sink. Then took a router and routed out part of the bottom edge to make a lip in the starboard. This allows it to sit inside the sink a little and not slide around the countertop. Them rounded the top edge with the router to give it a finished look.

The best part is this is the same material used for cutting boards so when not covering the sink I can turn it over use it as a trivet or cutting board. Server 2 purposes.

Brad

Sweet, again a great idea...

thanks for the pictures

Steve

I have already grown tired of having leaves and oak tassles collect in the sink so I devised a solution. The oaks drop leaves twice a year hear and when they do it is a mess. I was able to take a square 3/4" peice of starboard and cut it round and slightly larger than the opening of the sink. Then took a router and routed out part of the bottom edge to make a lip in the starboard. This allows it to sit inside the sink a little and not slide around the countertop. Them rounded the top edge with the router to give it a finished look.

Brad

Excellent and innovative idea! I own a cabinet shop - and we do this often with Corian for many of the boat owners in our area that have outboard sinks, bait wells and storage bunkers. Many of them come with wood (usually teak) covers, but these require a lot of maintenance, and this is where the Corian shines - it's virtually maintenance free!

Mike

Bigdog,

That one picture shows a good shot of your Led lights. You bought them at Berkley Point I recall. I have the same lights that I put in a stainless steel stair rail inside my house.

I had to use a Malibu timer and I recall I had to reverse the ac/dc or something like that. Are yours attached to an outdoor low voltage timer?

Clever idea and great 2nd use.

Excellent and innovative idea! I own a cabinet shop - and we do this often with Corian for many of the boat owners in our area that have outboard sinks, bait wells and storage bunkers. Many of them come with wood (usually teak) covers, but these require a lot of maintenance, and this is where the Corian shines - it's virtually maintenance free!

Mike

Thanks Mike and Steve for the feedback. I bet being a cabinet maker you could have knocked that out pretty quickly. I had to think about it a while and how to cut a perfectly round peice out of the square stock I had. Yeah teak is nice but takes lots of care and feeding to keep it looking good. I will not have a boat with teak because of the maintenance of it. I bet the corian is nice on boats and the colors would be nice but that must get expensive to put on a boat. Must be nice big boats where money is not a problem for the owners. ;)

Brad

Bigdog,

That one picture shows a good shot of your Led lights. You bought them at Berkley Point I recall. I have the same lights that I put in a stainless steel stair rail inside my house.

I had to use a Malibu timer and I recall I had to reverse the ac/dc or something like that. Are yours attached to an outdoor low voltage timer?

Correct. I used the LEDs from Berkeley Point. The Berkeley Point website has a 12 volt transformer that works well with the lights. It is not a timer nor outdoor model for that matter but it is inside the island so it stays dry. I have it connected to an outdoor switch to control the lights. These transformer were about 7 or 8 bucks so much cheaper than the Malibu ones although as you stated the malibu ones will work and can also add the timer control.

Brad

Clever idea and great 2nd use.

Thanks DrDave!

Time for another update. I am getting closer now. I worked last night getting every thing put back in place on the front and mounted permanently. Started with the doors and mounted them with securing them tightly. Set the burners and grill. Put the trash can in and secured it then on to the fridge and trim ring for the fridge. Reinstalled the light face plate and bottle opener. Once I had everything in place and working again to a big step and pulled the white plastic from all the stainless components. It makes a huge differance in the overall appearance to have the plastic removed and all the stainless staring back at you.

Here are some updated pictures with everything mounted.

I am planning to apply the stucco on the sides and back in the morning and will provide updated pictures as well when that is complete.

I am also working with a stainless fabricator to make a custoemr trim tring for around the grill. This will do 2 things. One give it a finished look to match the trim for the other components and two fill the gap beneath the grill. The peice across the bottom of the grill will be made with vents in it to allow even more ventilation and cross ventilation from the front.

I have sent over pictures and a drawing of what I want and he is working up a price now. Hopefully it will not cost a fortune for that piece.

Brad

I am also working with a stainless fabricator to make a custoemr trim tring for around the grill. This will do 2 things. One give it a finished look to match the trim for the other components and two fill the gap beneath the grill. The peice across the bottom of the grill will be made with vents in it to allow even more ventilation and cross ventilation from the front.

I have sent over pictures and a drawing of what I want and he is working up a price now. Hopefully it will not cost a fortune for that piece.

Brad

Brad

Consider placing a strip of granite directly under the grill that is about 5" wide by the width or the opening. That is what I and a lot of others have done. The verticle sides are left alone.

Brad

Consider placing a strip of granite directly under the grill that is about 5" wide by the width or the opening. That is what I and a lot of others have done. The verticle sides are left alone.

Thanks for the idea Dave. I will definately be looking into this as I got the quote for the trim ring this week. 325.00. Thanks but no thanks. Do you have a picutre of your granite under your grill that you can post so I can see what you did?

Also I was able to finish the stucco on the other 4 sides of the island this past weekend. I really like the way it came out. Sorry but I did not have a chance to download the picutres before travelling this week for work. I will get them posted soon as I head home in the morning.

Brad

Thanks for the idea Dave. I will definately be looking into this as I got the quote for the trim ring this week. 325.00. Thanks but no thanks. Do you have a picutre of your granite under your grill that you can post so I can see what you did?

Brad

Here is a shot under my turbo WOK. Keep in mind, I once had tiles there so the stucco is a little messed up on the left.

Thanks for the picture Dave. It helped alot. I was envisioning something different so glad I asked for the picture. I was thinking of putting a piece in vertical like a backsplash to fill more of the gap but like your way better.

I was also able to get some picutres of the finished stucco along with the vents instaled this evening.

The Bar area from both sides.

The back wall behind the grill area. I did not install an upper vent in the corner where the bar is because the area under the bar is open down to the compartment so it will function as an upper vent. Same is true in the bar area and the front is open around the refridgerator allowing air to blow in from the front and out under the bar. Being on the water we always have a bit of a breeze blowing so it vents the heat from the fridge out of the island well. No combustable gas on that side either.

And finally the other side. The sun was setting so it really made the stucco color in the picutre very golden.

And a final shot from the front with the side completed.

I think now I can say all the major tasks are complete. I have a few minor things to finsih before I am totally done. The 3 things left to do are

1. Find bar stools. Finding them is the easy part it is paying for them that I am dreading.

2. Figure out what type of grill light I want to install/use.

3. Install a small shelf in the undersink compartment to utilize the space fully.

I will say we have really been enjoying the grill area and been cooking and eating outside 2-3 times per week. I would encourage anyone to take the challenge and design/build their own outdoor kitchen. It is an awesome experience and very rewarding.

I will also try to get a night shot posted with the stucco installed since without the grey hardie background the LEDs look more normal and do not have the blue tint to them.

Brad

Brad,

I have to say that it has been a pleasure watching you build a beautiful outdoor kitchen. I can also say that i've refrenced your post more times at work than i should ever admit for guidance. Job well done not only constructing this masterpiece but also documenting it for myself and all the other diyers with big dreams. Hope you conitnue to comment on the site because i consider you one of the subject matter experts on this site. Sounds like you and your family are definately enjoying the fruits of your labor and i only hope that within a few weeks i at least have a functional BBQ as having my weber stuck in the garage in a carboard box is wearing on my paitence.

Well done Brad! It looks as professional as any I have ever seen. Nice job of getting all the vents in. Lets go racing!!!

Are you ready for the 1100 miles of racing with the Indy and Coca Cola 600 on the same day?

Brad,

I am quite impressed! You've managed to create a beautiful kitchen with simple lines, and maxed all your potential storage/appliance spaces. The job is certainly top shelf! You are an inspiration to all who seek to design and build their own outdoor kitchen. It's been a real pleasure following your progress, and the culminating post today sums up the quality of what you envisioned with your initial post. Thanks for sharing the project with us - now, don't neglect to continue with photos of what transpires weekly around that beautiful environment you created! ;)

Mike

Brad,

I have to say that it has been a pleasure watching you build a beautiful outdoor kitchen. I can also say that i've refrenced your post more times at work than i should ever admit for guidance. Job well done not only constructing this masterpiece but also documenting it for myself and all the other diyers with big dreams. Hope you conitnue to comment on the site because i consider you one of the subject matter experts on this site. Sounds like you and your family are definately enjoying the fruits of your labor and i only hope that within a few weeks i at least have a functional BBQ as having my weber stuck in the garage in a carboard box is wearing on my paitence.

Thanks Badkirk for the kind words. I truely appreciate the feedback and am glad my efforts to document the build are paying off for others. Sharing knowledge is what it is all about. I do plan to continue hanging around the forum to help others out and answer questions if I can. I know I have gained knowledge from others here and am happy to share. What did we do before teh internet ;)

Brad

Well done Brad! It looks as professional as any I have ever seen. Nice job of getting all the vents in. Lets go racing!!!

Are you ready for the 1100 miles of racing with the Indy and Coca Cola 600 on the same day?

Lol. Thanks Dave. I am ready for racing. I had a decent showing in Saturday nights race so maybe my luck will continue.