Bigdog

Bayside Build

I also wanted to share some picks of the island with the new barstools. They not brand new but new to me. I was able to get the set of 4 along with a bar height matching table from craigslist for 225.00 Ended up selling the table for 25.00 in a friends garage sale. 200.00 for the barstools was not bad in the end. They match well although if I was buying new I would have preferred a little darker frame otherwise they were exactley what I was after in terms o height, swivel and sling material with no cusions. If I can use them a couple years then I will be happy.

post-6128-1248030911_thumb.jpg

post-6128-1248030930_thumb.jpg

post-6128-1248030948_thumb.jpg

They do not look bad for the price and considering the seller says they were only about a year old and that he paid right at 1000.00 for the set.

Brad

I think the color is perfect for your island.

Bigdog,

Thanks for posting that picture of the fridge. I went ahead and removed that piece from my build. My granite installer told me I didn't need it, so I cut it out. Glad to see you found some bar stools and at a great price. They fit in nicely.

BigDog,

I like the color, looks good. In fact I think I have to consider that color. What color is it?

What do you think about putting 1/2 HB where the bar stools are? I noticed the 1/4" HB is fairly brittle and thought with a bar someone may put a foot through it or otherwise give it a good kick. You know how people try to back out their chairs to get away from the bar.

thanks in advance!

If you have sufficient studs and your friends are not drunk gorillas, you will be fine. Mine has stood up for over 10 years now and it is 1/4" HB.

BigDog,

I like the color, looks good. In fact I think I have to consider that color. What color is it?

What do you think about putting 1/2 HB where the bar stools are? I noticed the 1/4" HB is fairly brittle and thought with a bar someone may put a foot through it or otherwise give it a good kick. You know how people try to back out their chairs to get away from the bar.

thanks in advance!

Hey Johnon,

Color of what? Stucco? If so it is called Country Tan and is made by acrocrete. They mix the color in like paint so it is very repeatable. If you were looking for the color of something else let me know.

As for 1/2" hardie... as Dave said it thing it is overkill with properly spaced studs. Also with the proper overhang from the bar people should not be hitting it with there feet while turning in the stools or approaching/standing next to the bar.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Hey Johnon,

Color of what? Stucco? If so it is called Country Tan and is made by acrocrete. They mix the color in like paint so it is very repeatable. If you were looking for the color of something else let me know.

As for 1/2" hardie... as Dave said it thing it is overkill with properly spaced studs. Also with the proper overhang from the bar people should not be hitting it with there feet while turning in the stools or approaching/standing next to the bar.

Hope this helps.

Brad

I'd still go with 1/2 inch. It's much more rigid and the cost difference is negligible. And many of my friends ARE gorillas! :lol:

Mike

A couple weeks ago I order and installed a NG/LP gas detector and installed it in the island. I have been meaning to get a picture of it up here but have been travelling alot lately.

Here is a picture of it installed in an outlet under the grill.

post-6128-1249996790_thumb.jpg

I figure you can not be to safe when using gas and since I have both NG and LP in the island thought for $60.00 why take a chance. This one emits and very loud noise that would definateley be heard if there is ever a leak.

Hope this helps encourage others to install these when building there islands.

Brad

A couple weeks ago I order and installed a NG/LP gas detector and installed it in the island. I have been meaning to get a picture of it up here but have been travelling alot lately.

I figure you can not be to safe when using gas and since I have both NG and LP in the island thought for $60.00 why take a chance. This one emits and very loud noise that would definateley be heard if there is ever a leak.

Brad

That's not a bad price Brad. Can I ask where you bought it? Anything to look for in purchasing one of these units? I think I will be getting one for that price, thanks for posting!

Tom

What a great idea!

I love that it has an outlet built in so you don't lose the functionality of the existing outlet.

I would suggest that if anyone has more than one compartment with a flame source, that each compartment have it's own. For example, mine has 2, one for the grill and one for the Turbo WOK.

Having one in the propane compartment would be nice, but not required, since it is the ignition source you need to be worried about and most leaks occur in the plumbing away from the tank itself.

I saved a copy for my CD please do tell the rest of the story, this is too important not to share.

BTW, nice job in FNC! We can see you in the rear view mirror.

Brad

Can't quite make out the name on it. Brand name? Where purchased?

Thanks

That's not a bad price Brad. Can I ask where you bought it? Anything to look for in purchasing one of these units? I think I will be getting one for that price, thanks for posting!

Tom

Here are the details on the one I bought from the website. It was 45.00 plus shipping which came to about 60.00 total.

Here is a link to a place that has them for 45.00

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/produ...679/159679.aspx

They are also available on Amazon.com. I googled for natural gas detector. This model does both NG and LP.

Safety Siren FS-HS80501 Gas Alarm and Gas Monitor Features:

Detects dangerous levels of methane and propane gas.

Computerized calibration: helps eliminate false alarms from momentary exposures to lp gas, propane, methane or natural gas.

Built-in self-diagnostics assures the unit is operating properly.

Power: 110-120VAC, direct plug in.

Power Usage: 6 watts.

Air Sampling: every 2 1/2 minutes.

Combustible Gas (CG) sensor alarm trip point: less than 25% of LEL (Lower Explosive Limit) of natural gas, propane and butane.

Approval: UL listed as a "Single Station Propane/Methane Detector" to 1484 requirements. Use this propane gas alarm or natural gas alarm for residential and unconditioned areas. Unconditioned areas include garages, boiler/furnace rooms, warehouses, barns, offices, etc.

Security Lock Tab: install outlet cover screw tab so unit cannot be pulled out of receptacle.

Advanced surface mount circuitry increases reliability.

Powerful 85dB Alarm

Five year limited warranty by manufacturer

Dimensions: 4.7 inches x 3.1 inches x 2.1 inches

Weight: 12 ounces

Made in USA.

Note: Add an electrical outlet if needed to install the Safety Siren combustible gas alarm correctly. Mount 4 to 20 inches above the floor for propane leak protection . Mount within 6 inches of the ceiling or on the ceiling at least 12 inches from a wall for natural gas leak protection .

Brad

What a great idea!

I love that it has an outlet built in so you don't lose the functionality of the existing outlet.

I would suggest that if anyone has more than one compartment with a flame source, that each compartment have it's own. For example, mine has 2, one for the grill and one for the Turbo WOK.

Having one in the propane compartment would be nice, but not required, since it is the ignition source you need to be worried about and most leaks occur in the plumbing away from the tank itself.

I saved a copy for my CD please do tell the rest of the story, this is too important not to share.

BTW, nice job in FNC! We can see you in the rear view mirror.

Thanks Dave. I thought the same thing one for each compartment with an ignition source if needed.

As for the outlet it is not build into the detector itself. It is a normal outlet with 2 plugs in it that the detector plugs into. The detector is made with a loop at the top to allow it to be secured to the wall outlet with the screw that holds on the face plate thus making it more difficult for someone to just unplug which in my mind is a great safety feature.

I tested it inside by plugging it in to get aclimated inside next to the stovfe then turning on the gas stove. It worked and set off the alarm and it was loud. You can not miss it.

I wanted something that will work and be loud so it will get my wifes attention if I am not home. She will grill sometimes without me home if I am travelling or will often light the grill for me when she wants me to cook. This will definately do the trick.

Also for what it is worth I have had it installed about 6 weeks and have not has a false alarm.

I am peddling fast to catch you guys in the league!!!

Brad

Can't quite make out the name on it. Brand name? Where purchased?

Thanks

Mediumrare see the other post with the info.

DrDave if you would like a better picture I would be happy to take it and email it to you for the cd. When I took it I did not realize it was a little blurry on the text part until I posted it here.

Brad

Thanks that would be great.

Mediumrare see the other post with the info.

DrDave if you would like a better picture I would be happy to take it and email it to you for the cd. When I took it I did not realize it was a little blurry on the text part until I posted it here.

Brad

Thanks, I saw your other post.

John

I bought one of these gas timers from FireMagic for $65. I am going to mount it below the grill inside. Everytime I have to use the grill I will HAVE to open the doors.

What it does is put the gas on a timer, 3 hours max, min is about 5 mins.

There are several advantages to having one of these

1) I will smell gas because I have to open the doors below the grill to turn on the timer.

2) I will never forget to turn off my grill off because it does it for me.

3) Gas can't leak into just the grill which can cause an explosion. Natural gas is lighter than air so the grill itself can capture gas. If th grill itself leaks then the island may not detect it because again natural gas is lighter than air.

4) Anyone that tries to use my grill when I am not around won't be able to figure it out.

I also put in a shutoff valve that kills all gas to the bbq island at the meter. Good for when I travel. I do the same to the water as well. And talk about overkill, I have an Earthquake switch attached to my gas meter. It kills the gas in an earthquake or even if the house rattles from say a car hitting it or something stupid.

The other unit while it is good, it does draw 6 watts 24 hours a day every day. That (and correct me if I am wrong) is about $16 a year in electricity or 1 good rib eye. Spiders and their webs could also plug the unit up so you will want to inspect regularly.

My plumber thought it was kind of looking at me funny when I said I was going to put in a gas sensor. I asked why and he said, "look, it aint going to leak". I responded "you don't know that". He said there are no moving parts and gas lines and fittings don't fail, only when someone or an an act of nature does something to them do they fail. He then proceeded to ask me when was the last time I heard a house in your neihborhood blowing up?

When I told him about the timer valve, he said that was a great idea. He also liked that I wouldn't be relying on a piece of electrical equipment coming from China. However, the timer is made in Taiwan.

post-6682-1250105944_thumb.jpg

I bought one of these gas timers from FireMagic for $65. I am going to mount it below the grill inside. Everytime I have to use the grill I will HAVE to open the doors.

What it does is put the gas on a timer, 3 hours max, min is about 5 mins.

There are several advantages to having one of these

1) I will smell gas because I have to open the doors below the grill to turn on the timer.

2) I will never forget to turn off my grill off because it does it for me.

3) Gas can't leak into just the grill which can cause an explosion. Natural gas is lighter than air so the grill itself can capture gas. If th grill itself leaks then the island may not detect it because again natural gas is lighter than air.

4) Anyone that tries to use my grill when I am not around won't be able to figure it out.

I also put in a shutoff valve that kills all gas to the bbq island at the meter. Good for when I travel. I do the same to the water as well. And talk about overkill, I have an Earthquake switch attached to my gas meter. It kills the gas in an earthquake or even if the house rattles from say a car hitting it or something stupid.

The other unit while it is good, it does draw 6 watts 24 hours a day every day. That (and correct me if I am wrong) is about $16 a year in electricity or 1 good rib eye. Spiders and their webs could also plug the unit up so you will want to inspect regularly.

My plumber thought it was kind of looking at me funny when I said I was going to put in a gas sensor. I asked why and he said, "look, it aint going to leak". I responded "you don't know that". He said there are no moving parts and gas lines and fittings don't fail, only when someone or an an act of nature does something to them do they fail. He then proceeded to ask me when was the last time I heard a house in your neihborhood blowing up?

When I told him about the timer valve, he said that was a great idea. He also liked that I wouldn't be relying on a piece of electrical equipment coming from China. However, the timer is made in Taiwan.

Hey Johnon,

While I do like the idea of the gas timer and wish I had of installed one for some of the reasons you listed such as forgeting to turn off the grill, I do not think it provides the same protection as a gas sensor. While I agree with your plumber that it is not likely to leak it can for a variety of reasons. One that comes to mind is a small critter such as a mouse/rat inhabiting an island and chewing through the rubber gas hose. Still not likely though but could happen as I have seem them chew through electical wire casing till the hit the hot wire and fry. But even if this never happens the far more likely scenario is this:

You open the door and smell for gas. You smell none so you turn on the gas timer close the door and light the grill and walk back in to prep while the grill heats up. Upon returning to the grill you realize that the grill is not hot and must of blown out from a gust of wind (yes this can happen) or something so you push the button to relight the grill only to have a flash before you of about 1600 degress.

Of course you may be saying well if I lit the grill and it was off I would open it and let it air out before trying to re light it but a spouse or friend could walk up and notice it not hot and attempt to light it when the explosion happens.

As for houses blowing up these days yeah not many however most modern gas appliances have an electronic spark that relights the flame automatically if the fire goes out so gas does not have a chance to build up with no flame.

I agree about the cost of using electricity but to me $16.00 a year is far better than a $30,000 plus dr. bill from an accident so I will gladly eat that in the name of safety. Also it is made in the good ol USA believe it or not :)

Good point about checking it periodically for spiders etc. however given the design it would take alot to block all the slots for the sensor.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying that a timer is a bad idea. I actually like it for a variety of reasons but it does not protect in every situation.

Brad

Hey Johnon,

While I do like the idea of the gas timer and wish I had of installed one for some of the reasons you listed such as forgeting to turn off the grill, I do not think it provides the same protection as a gas sensor. While I agree with your plumber that it is not likely to leak it can for a variety of reasons. One that comes to mind is a small critter such as a mouse/rat inhabiting an island and chewing through the rubber gas hose. Still not likely though but could happen as I have seem them chew through electical wire casing till the hit the hot wire and fry. But even if this never happens the far more likely scenario is this:

You open the door and smell for gas. You smell none so you turn on the gas timer close the door and light the grill and walk back in to prep while the grill heats up. Upon returning to the grill you realize that the grill is not hot and must of blown out from a gust of wind (yes this can happen) or something so you push the button to relight the grill only to have a flash before you of about 1600 degress.

Of course you may be saying well if I lit the grill and it was off I would open it and let it air out before trying to re light it but a spouse or friend could walk up and notice it not hot and attempt to light it when the explosion happens.

As for houses blowing up these days yeah not many however most modern gas appliances have an electronic spark that relights the flame automatically if the fire goes out so gas does not have a chance to build up with no flame.

I agree about the cost of using electricity but to me $16.00 a year is far better than a $30,000 plus dr. bill from an accident so I will gladly eat that in the name of safety. Also it is made in the good ol USA believe it or not :)

Good point about checking it periodically for spiders etc. however given the design it would take alot to block all the slots for the sensor.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying that a timer is a bad idea. I actually like it for a variety of reasons but it does not protect in every situation.

Brad

Brad,

You bring up valid points. I am going to get one too. Better safe than sorry. Have you tried the sensor out? as far as letting a little gas out and see if it goes off. We are talking bbq here folks.... Are these detectors one time use detectors or is it like a smoke alarm in that it resets itself ready for the next gas leak?