Bigdog

Bayside Build

Brad,

You bring up valid points. I am going to get one too. Better safe than sorry. Have you tried the sensor out? as far as letting a little gas out and see if it goes off. We are talking bbq here folks.... Are these detectors one time use detectors or is it like a smoke alarm in that it resets itself ready for the next gas leak?

Hey Johnon,

I did try out the sensor by doing as you said and let some gas out. It did work. Put out an ear piercing alarm that could not be missed in the case of a valid leak. They are like smoke detectors and are resetable thus allowing many years of use. They are not one time use only detectors.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Thanks guys for brining up a great safety item! I looked around and First Alert makes one that has a battery back up in case the power goes out - my island electric is all GFI protected. I will be getting some type of detector for my island for sure.

Brad,

Did you use the tri cluster LED in Stainless Steel Ball for your backsplash? and how did you install it in your granite backsplash because the threads are not long enough to put a nut on behind the granite. I recall your granit was 1 1/4 thick plus hardibacker. The thread portion doesn't look nearly long enough to go through all that material.

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/ligh...s0803-2000.html

And for your under bar counter lighting, did you use the Pod Fixture for the MicroStar? Again, if you did, was the thread long enough to put the nut on the other side of the hardibacker?

Lastly,

on the under bar counter lighting, how far did you end up mounting them from the face of the bar?

And for the backsplash how far did you mount them up from the counter top?

Sorry for all the questions but you have been an excellent resource.

thanks

john

Brad,

Did you use the tri cluster LED in Stainless Steel Ball for your backsplash? and how did you install it in your granite backsplash because the threads are not long enough to put a nut on behind the granite. I recall your granit was 1 1/4 thick plus hardibacker. The thread portion doesn't look nearly long enough to go through all that material.

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/ligh...s0803-2000.html

And for your under bar counter lighting, did you use the Pod Fixture for the MicroStar? Again, if you did, was the thread long enough to put the nut on the other side of the hardibacker?

Lastly,

on the under bar counter lighting, how far did you end up mounting them from the face of the bar?

And for the backsplash how far did you mount them up from the counter top?

Sorry for all the questions but you have been an excellent resource.

thanks

john

Hey John,

No problem answering questions. Glad to help.

1. Yes I used the stainless tri cluster LED Stainless Ball on the backsplash lights. They work very well. You are correct that I used 3 cm granite that came out to right at 1 1/4" thick. The threads on teh tri cluster lights are not long enough to go all the way through and put a nut on the back of them. What I did to mount them was drilled a 1/2" hole all the way through the granite with a 1/2" diamond tip granite bit. I practiced a couple times with a scrape piece of granite so as not to woller our the hole making it larger than 1/2". The tri cluster light threads fit perfectly snug in a 1/2" hole and were long enough to support it in place with no nut on the back side. With the tight fit and weight of the light they stay perfectly in place. My thought when I did it was if the hole was to lose still I could silicon them in. In my case they were so snug there was no need for silicon. I liked this as it meant they would be eay to replace if I ever had to. BTW tropical storm Claudete went right over us last night and they did not move from the island.

2. Yes I used the pod fixture for the microstar. In that case yes the threads were long enough to go through the steel stud and get the nut on it. I left the bottom of the bar overhang open to act as a vent since no one would see it unless on the ground so all it had to go through was the stud.

3. The undar bar lights on mine are mounted 1" center from the vertical wall that makes up the back of the island. This allows the light to shine partially on the wall and broadcasts it down to light the ground below slightly.

4. For the tri cluster lights on the backsplash they are 4 1/2" centered from the top of the counter top. The backsplash granite is 5 1/2" high total and I did not want to drill the hole to close to the edge of the backsplash and risk breaking it so I came down 1" from the top for the center of the light.

I think I got everything answered but if I missed something let me know.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Hey, Big Guy, I can see you in the rear view mirror. Looks like you might pass my son soon.

I just wish I could find a barrel for my latest build... Too much money... Dont know whether to sell Jeep parts for gun stuff or gun stuff for Jeep parts? LOL

I just wish I could find a barrel for my latest build... Too much money... Dont know whether to sell Jeep parts for gun stuff or gun stuff for Jeep parts? LOL

Were you going to shoot your Island or drive over it? ;)

Were you going to shoot your Island or drive over it? ;)

:blink::lol:

Good one DD! A perfect response to whatever that post was supposed to mean?????

beach

It was too good to pass up.

Where have you been? It has been a while since I crossed your path.

I'm getting ready for Dove hunting next Tuesday, so barrels and offroad was already on my mind.

It was too good to pass up.

Where have you been? It has been a while since I crossed your path.

DrDave,

Been living the dream - in Yuma, AZ. Pretty sick dream if you really want to know.... I am now an over paid, high priced consultant, which works for me!

We are all bracing for dove season - Yuma used to be the dove hunting capital of the world - It might still be. Not being a bird shooter (but have no objection to those that do), don't really keep up. I do know most of the hotels are sold out for next week - they even set up grills and keg beer for the hunters when they return at 7:00 am on 9/1!

Primary residence is still in Phoenix, and no, I have not yet built an island - on my list tho'

Good luck on the hunt!

beach

The last hunt I was on was in Yuma. When I pulled into the Kmart lot to get my non resident license, the digital readout in my SUV said 117 degrees. It is supposed to be 114 next Tuesday where we are going. I must be into pain... :)

Looks like my build will get its first hurricane test in the morning with Ida coming here. Does not look to be a major storm so I expect the island to ride it out with no major problems. At least that is my hope.

Brad

Looks like my build will get its first hurricane test in the morning with Ida coming here. Does not look to be a major storm so I expect the island to ride it out with no major problems. At least that is my hope.

Brad

Good luck with that. Take pictures.

Brad

I see it has dropped back to a tropical storm, so you should be ok, right?

beach

Wow great looking kitchen!

I will be stealing your bar support method in my modest build I am planning.

I plan on a fridge and a Kegerator.

I noticed you are using a Danby Fridge, and judging by the price you listed I would guess that it is not an "official" outdoor fridge?

If not, how is it holding up keeping cold in your hot climate?

That's the exact fridge I have been eyeing as outdoor fridges are in the neighborhood of 1k

Brian

Thanks all for the many welcomes.

I am in the Florida panhandle in a town called Shalimar. It is in the Destin/Fort Walton Beach area.

Brad

Wow! I am thoroughly impressed (appears I'm not alone :lol: ) Great design,planning and the best documentation I've seen. I can see you really pay attention to detail!

..oh, by the way, love the Starboard idea~I'm stealing it :ph34r:

Dave

Wow! I am thoroughly impressed (appears I'm not alone :huh: ) Great design,planning and the best documentation I've seen. I can see you really pay attention to detail!

..oh, by the way, love the Starboard idea~I'm stealing it :blink:

Dave

Thanks Dave for the kind words. I am just happy to know that my posts have been helpfull to others.

Brad

Wow great looking kitchen!

I will be stealing your bar support method in my modest build I am planning.

I plan on a fridge and a Kegerator.

I noticed you are using a Danby Fridge, and judging by the price you listed I would guess that it is not an "official" outdoor fridge?

If not, how is it holding up keeping cold in your hot climate?

That's the exact fridge I have been eyeing as outdoor fridges are in the neighborhood of 1k

Brian

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

You are correct about the fridge not being an "outdoor" model. It is holding up great. It maintains a temp of 35 degrees without being set to high. I have not noticed any increase electric bills either. My thought was if it has to be replaced every 5 years I would come out better than buying an outdoor model. I could not be happier with the Danby fridge.

Hope it helps.

Brad