Lawdog

Weber Genesis EP-320

Well, it's official. I just picked up my new cooker, a Weber Genesis EP-320, in the special edition gray.

A friend of mine was also looking for a new grill. So we talked about a lot of what I learned here and I suggested he give a hard look at the Webers too. Long story short, we figured we could negotiate a bit if we bought two, so we went over to a local hardware store over the noon hour and bought two of them. Mine in the gray and my buddy got a left-over 2008 in blue for a steal of a price. For me, they threw in a Weber 7553 cover, the one with the Rain Catchers TM on the end. ;)

I hope to have it up and running by Sunday, if the snow allows it. Pics and a review will follow. Can't wait to fire that first steak!

thats awesome.... how much?

No fire up that bad grill and show us what you got. BTW, I am loving the fat stainless grates... way different on the sear, and easier to clean

Well, it's official. I just picked up my new cooker, a Weber Genesis EP-320, in the special edition gray. Giggidy!

A friend of mine was also looking for a new grill. So we talked about a lot of what I learned here and I suggested he give a hard look at the Webers too. Long story short, we figured we could negotiate a bit if we bought two, so we went over to a local hardware store over the noon hour and bought two of them. Mine in the gray and my buddy got a left-over 2008 in blue for a steal of a price. For me, they threw in a Weber 7553 cover, the one with the Rain Catchers TM on the end. ;)

I hope to have it up and running by Sunday, if the snow allows it. Pics and a review will follow. Can't wait to fire that first steak!

;)

Lawdog

Im happy for you.

Smart move to get your buddy and to take a 2008 off of there hands.

The fact that you did it the end of the month helped you also.

Id like to see pictures of both of them

thats awesome.... how much?

No fire up that bad grill and show us what you got. BTW, I am loving the fat stainless grates... way different on the sear, and easier to clean

$799 with a cover for mine, $649 for his. Felt good to support the local small business and we both feel good about our deals.

Congratulations Lawdog. I doubt you'll have any reason to regret your decision to get the Weber. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of it in action.

Pat

SET-UP and FIRST COOK.

Well, I picked it up and got it all set up. The sun was setting and the shadows are there, but here she is!

I did my break-in and first cook tonight. I turned em all on high and let it sit. It reached 525 in about 8-9 minutes, then slowly creeped up to 600 by 20 minutes or so. The flavorizer bars glowed a dull orange in the sunset.... I shut it off and remained excited for dinner....

My plan was to grill a few cheeseburgers to get the hang of the new machine. To heck with that, I thought... the men at the Source wouldn't approve! So I went and grabbed me two 1-lb. sirloins from the butcher. While my dad played with his grandson, I fired up the Weber and got to work. ;)

These are going to be good!

Now, to get them ready. A healthy dose of Montreal Steak seasoning, rubbed in good. And a good bit of extra virgin olive oil, basted on the steaks liberally. Okay, let em sit. Onions anyone?

I let the grill heat up about 15 minutes and it was about 575 or so. I like them medium rare and my dad liked medium. So, without knowing how it would cook compared to my old one, I planned on 1:45, turn 90 degrees, another 1:45, then flip over. Then, another 3 1/2 mintues for mine, and let my dad's go another minute past that.

Before the final 1:45, I quick opened the hood, stuck in the thermometer probe in one and quickly closed it back up. I lowered the burners a bit, to around a medium for the last couple minutes, to slow the final cook just a bit. The temp was around 600 at the time of the first turn, but dropped to about 550 each time I opened the hood to rotate or flip. When I turned down the burners, it was just a guess because it seemed hotter than my old grill and I didn't want to ruin the steaks. It will take a while for me to get used to having a thermometer on the grill. Man, that's nice.

I needn't have worried.... I usually pull my steak (medium rare) when the probe tells me it's around 132-134. I let it finish on the counter, resting while I set out the rest of the food. But, before my final 1:45 ran out, the probe alarm went off... the temp went from 125 to HOLY CRAP THAT SAYS 250!?!! really fast.... :blink: I opened the hood up and could barely believe my eyes at how good they looked. I feared the worst from the thermometer, but I think the probe was touching the grate is all. :rolleyes:

Here is my first cook on the new Weber! Resting on the counter. Nice sear marks....

On the plate... a healthy meal, with all food groups represented. :P

Summary:

The grill is solid and well-constructed. For me, I really like the gray. It's just beautiful in person and has a very classic look to it. I almost went with the brick red, but the gray just looks so nice. The grates really are a thing of beauty. You can tell the machining is precise and the quality is there. There is no slop on this grill; everything fit together as it should. All alignments are square. No rattles or movement, solid. I was very tempted by a lot of grills over the last couple years, with infrared sear burners and 8 zillion sq. inches of grilling space. I looked hard at the CB RED and the Quantum too. But, in the end I was swayed by review after review that said, "It just works. Like it should." I'm usually a whiz-bang guy when it comes to gadgets, but this seemed too sure a bet to pass on. As for the cost, I am still wrestling with paying $799 for a grill this, for lack of a better word, "basic." But, tonight, it did exactly what I wanted: it made two $4 steaks taste like they were $35 at a steakhouse. And, I get the feeling that's all it will do for a long time to come: work and work well, each and every time. I think the sting of spending this money will go away if this lasts like Webers supposedly do.

I will post up more as I get used to what its tendencies are, but I can tell already I'm going to like this machine.

The result? Well, this $4 steak was as good a steak as I've had in recent memory. Seriously. Not bad for the first effort, in the dark to boot.

I can't wait to buy a better piece of meat and try up some other recipes. A buddy just got me some Chip Davis steak rub... That's next and another post....

Lawdog

SET-UP and FIRST COOK.

Well, I picked it up and got it all set up. The sun was setting and the shadows are there, but here she is!

I did my break-in and first cook tonight. I turned em all on high and let it sit. It reached 525 in about 8-9 minutes, then slowly creeped up to 600 by 20 minutes or so. The flavorizer bars glowed a dull orange in the sunset.... I shut it off and remained excited for dinner....

My plan was to grill a few cheeseburgers to get the hang of the new machine. To heck with that, I thought... the men at the Source wouldn't approve! So I went and grabbed me two 1-lb. sirloins from the butcher. While my dad played with his grandson, I fired up the Weber and got to work. ;)

These are going to be good!

Now, to get them ready. A healthy dose of Montreal Steak seasoning, rubbed in good. And a good bit of extra virgin olive oil, basted on the steaks liberally. Okay, let em sit. Onions anyone?

I let the grill heat up about 15 minutes and it was about 575 or so. I like them medium rare and my dad liked medium. So, without knowing how it would cook compared to my old one, I planned on 1:45, turn 90 degrees, another 1:45, then flip over. Then, another 3 1/2 mintues for mine, and let my dad's go another minute past that.

Before the final 1:45, I quick opened the hood, stuck in the thermometer probe in one and quickly closed it back up. I lowered the burners a bit, to around a medium for the last couple minutes, to slow the final cook just a bit. The temp was around 600 at the time of the first turn, but dropped to about 550 each time I opened the hood to rotate or flip. When I turned down the burners, it was just a guess because it seemed hotter than my old grill and I didn't want to ruin the steaks. It will take a while for me to get used to having a thermometer on the grill. Man, that's nice.

I needn't have worried.... I usually pull my steak (medium rare) when the probe tells me it's around 132-134. I let it finish on the counter, resting while I set out the rest of the food. But, before my final 1:45 ran out, the probe alarm went off... the temp went from 125 to HOLY CRAP THAT SAYS 250!?!! really fast.... :blink: I opened the hood up and could barely believe my eyes at how good they looked. I feared the worst from the thermometer, but I think the probe was touching the grate is all. :rolleyes:

Here is my first cook on the new Weber! Resting on the counter. Nice sear marks....

On the plate... a healthy meal, with all food groups represented. :P

Summary:

The grill is solid and well-constructed. For me, I really like the gray. It's just beautiful in person and has a very classic look to it. I almost went with the brick red, but the gray just looks so nice. The grates really are a thing of beauty. You can tell the machining is precise and the quality is there. There is no slop on this grill; everything fit together as it should. All alignments are square. No rattles or movement, solid. I was very tempted by a lot of grills over the last couple years, with infrared sear burners and 8 zillion sq. inches of grilling space. I looked hard at the CB RED and the Quantum too. But, in the end I was swayed by review after review that said, "It just works. Like it should." I'm usually a whiz-bang guy when it comes to gadgets, but this seemed too sure a bet to pass on. As for the cost, I am still wrestling with paying $799 for a grill this, for lack of a better word, "basic." But, tonight, it did exactly what I wanted: it made two $4 steaks taste like they were $35 at a steakhouse. And, I get the feeling that's all it will do for a long time to come: work and work well, each and every time. I think the sting of spending this money will go away if this lasts like Webers supposedly do.

I will post up more as I get used to what its tendencies are, but I can tell already I'm going to like this machine.

The result? Well, this $4 steak was as good a steak as I've had in recent memory. Seriously. Not bad for the first effort, in the dark to boot.

I can't wait to buy a better piece of meat and try up some other recipes. A buddy just got me some Chip Davis steak rub... That's next and another post....

Lawdog

That fancy Weber is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY to shiny. You need to get some grease splatter goin on inside of that thing pronto!

Nice Grill! and good lookin steaks.

Lawdog,

Ya' done good. The Weber is very solid and will last you a long time. Based on the pictures, it also does a great job. I also like that gray color. Did the Weber come with a rotisserie? When I first got my Quantum, I wasn't that interested in doing much cooking with a rotisserie, but I love to experiment and now it has become my preferred method of cooking chicken and pork tenderloin. It's a little pricey, but I've been considering a E-Z-Que rotisserie to make it easier and more convenient.

Great job on the steaks & onions. Those fries look good also. Did you do those yourself, or were they frozen? You've made me decide to fix some of the tenderloins I got at Sam's and a salad tonight.

Keep the posts and pictures coming.

Pat

Pat, howdy. No rotisserie with the Weber, but I do have one in the box unused from my old grill. I intend on checking to see if it will fit and work. If not, I will put it on my Father's Day wishlist.

Fries I did myself. I drove to store, bought bag of frozen fries, hauled them home... :rolleyes:

Howdy all.

I've done several more cooks, with steaks, burgers and chicken. All have been good. I added a Weber Grill Out #7516 handle light, which I found at Target on clearance for $21. I like it alright... It actually is enough light to do most tasks, which surprised me given its size. A second one would be even better of course, but that's a lot of money for lights.

For cleaning the grates, I've been using the Weber brass-bristled brush and that has been enough to keep the SS grates cleaned. I also have a grill stone for use in the event I cook anything that really gums them up.

A local store has rump roast on sale for cheap, so the weekend plan is to try that out... We'll see how that goes. So far, so good and I'm pleased with the purchase. Now that the temps have come up to decent amounts, the grill temps have increased too. I'm getting to 625-650 within 25 minutes. My old Taylor thermometer gave up the ghost, so that's next on the to-get list.

Spring is in the air and I need to go thaw that venison....

Lawdog,

Glad to hear everything is working out OK, but I wasn't expecting to hear of many problems with the Weber. I've fixed several rump roasts in my smoker and since we like them med. rare, I keep the cooking temp around 235 to 250 and take them out when the roast temp reaches about 140. I wrap them in foil and let them sit for about 30 min. and they've been coming out great. Very tender and moist. I haven't tried one on my grill yet, so let us know how it comes out.

Try to invest in a remote thermometer. You'll love sticking in the probe, setting the temp and then sitting in your warm house and relaxing until the thermometer tells you it's done. I have 2 of the Oregon Scientific talking thermometers, but most people seem to find the thermometer talking to them irritating. Since I have a hearing loss thanks to my other hobby, they work great for me. I've heard good reports about the Maverick's, but I haven't used one myself.

Glad to hear it's warming up where you are. Your posts make me feel a lot better about the weather here which I'm glad to say has also warmed up considerably.

Pat

Rump roast on grill.

With the new grill, I'm really into learning and trying new things. So, a roast seemed like a good candidate. Well, it was an interesting first effort. I tried a recipe I'd never done before, which basically involved covering the roast in horseradish and a little sour cream, then basting with softened margarine. I intended to sear it on each side, trying to blacken it, but obviously didn't think it all the way through. It would have been too messy with the way I prepared it. So, I threw it into a little disposable roasting tin and put it in the grill. I kep the temp at about 325 and it stayed in there for about 1:45, give or take. Not being real experienced cooking any type of roast, I was a little nervous pulling it off when the temp hit 140, so I left it to about 145, a decision I regret.

I took it off and covered it in foil while I finished the side dishes. Of course, it was a bit overdone for my taste. It was medium to med-well on the ends, although it got slightly rarer as we worked toward the middle. The leftovers for sandwiches today were very good.

I think a smoker would be the better way to do this, but if I hadn't overcooked it and picked a recipe that would impart more flavor than the one I chose, it may well have been much better. So, I can't really say success or fail here. Kind of in the middle.

Pat: I picked up a wireless thermometer at Walmart yesterday, but have decided to not even open it. I borrowed one in the meantime for now and it's time to start shopping in earnest for one.

Glad to hear it's warming up where you are. Your posts make me feel a lot better about the weather here which I'm glad to say has also warmed up considerably.

Pat

Pat, I made an amazing flank steak this weekend, standing in the slush/sleet falling from the gray sky. That turned to about 10 inches of snow in the last 30 hours. Uuugghh. I got the recipe from the little pamphlet cookbook that Weber includes with the grill. It was one of the first my buddy tried and he has been bragging about it for two weeks. Marinade of soy, lemon juice, a garlic minced up, L&P worcestershire sauce, red wine vineger and olive oil... I soaked it for about 20 hours and threw it on the 600 deg grill. I got nervous about the heat and pulled it after about 7:30. The recipe called for 8 to 10 and I should have trusted it because it was a bit rare for my tastes. Another minute and it would have been perfect. Cut with a fork though.

Not too sure about the 7516 light. It quit working then started up again. Weird. I have doubts about its durability.

The Weber light is working fine now with no issues. One seems to be plenty for this grill.

Been cooking on it about every other night and the steaks continue to be amazing.

Just ordered up a Weber instant-read probe thermometer, for starters. I've gone through two of the remote kind already--they were junk. I'm still looking for a decent one and will pick one up one of these days.

Lawdog,

Just curious about what brand of remote thermometers you had that you didn't like and what was the problem with them. This will help others from making the same mistake.

I use the Oregon Scientific remote talking thermometer and it works good enough that I now have 2. The only complaint I've heard about it is that the voice is irritating, but 1. You can turn off the voice by pushing any button and 2. I'm hard of hearing, so the voice is just a help for me. If I don't hear it, one of my family members does. If I'm not mistaken the Weber is made by Oregon Scientific. The main difference in the ones I've seen is that I think the Weber is totally pre-set and on the ones I have, I can also set just a temp, or also use it as a timer. One thing to check is that a lot of them still use the older FDA recommendations for chicken instead of the newer 165 degrees. Just something to check on if you're going to fix chicken.

Oregon Scientific

These can be found for a lot less by searching on the internet.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the remote thermometers can be used on steaks and smaller cuts of meat, but are best used on large cuts of meat like pork butts, brisket, whole poultry and when using your rotisserie. The best thing to use for steaks and chicken parts directly on the grill is a regular meat thermometer. The Thermapen instant read thermometer is considered the best for this, but pricey.

Thermapen

The main problem you'll have with any of the remote thermometers is moisture getting into the probe where the wire enters the probe. I get 12" lengths of shrink tubing at Lowe's and put it on the probe. I run the first one all the way down the cable to the plug, then overlap it with the second and so on till I overlap the connection between the probe and the cable, then heat shrink them. This usually makes the probe last a lot longer. I don't use soap and water to clean them. I use antibacterial wipes to clean and disinfect the probe and shrink wraps.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the Weber. We don't hear many complaints about them however. I hope the weather is getting better where you're at. It's already in the 80's here. My kind of weather.

Later

Pat

Good comments Pat. I just ordered a Weber 6419 pen thermometer. It was $15 at Amazon.

I had a basic Taylor thermometer, with the cable probe. It finally died after years of service. To my surprise, Taylor replaced it for free and I was very pleased with their service. But, the replacement just isn't as nice. For one thing, the cable is not cable anymore, but a plastic sheathed tubing. Only good to 392 deg. F, per the directions, so it's of little use to me.

I still had the Walmart one laying around so I cracked it open because I needed one right away. It lasted all of two uses before it went Tango Uniform. I returned it.

It is exactly like this model, as sold at Sears under the Kenmore name. It was $16 at Walmart. I didn't like several things about it, apart from dying right away. Difficult to get the temp adjusted how I wanted it and the temp never seemed accurate at all.

Anyway, I'll look around for a decent remote one and use the Weber probe for most stuff.

PS, Pat: it's snowing tonight... :ph34r:

More flank steak. This is becoming a favorite. Marinaded for about 20 hours and on the grill for 8 minutes. Yum.

More flank steak. This is becoming a favorite. Marinaded for about 20 hours and on the grill for 8 minutes. Yum.

Lawdog,

Excellent shot! Sure looks delicious! But you tease us with just a corner shot of stemware... What's your wine of choice for this meal? Yea, I know - it's just a water glass...

Seriously, we do have a wine thread http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...post&p=8739 that is growing stagnant - perhaps we can rejuvinate it. :) If not, that's okay - we'll be fine just staring at that great plate filled with sliced steak over rice! :D

Mike

Lawdog,

Excellent shot! Sure looks delicious! But you tease us with just a corner shot of stemware... What's your wine of choice for this meal? Yea, I know - it's just a water glass...

Seriously, we do have a wine thread http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...post&p=8739 that is growing stagnant - perhaps we can rejuvinate it. :) If not, that's okay - we'll be fine just staring at that great plate filled with sliced steak over rice! :lol:

Mike

Thanks Mike. I have about three go-to reds. Costco is your friend on this. Yellow Tail or Rosemount Shiraz are both good--both about $8 a bottle. Columbia Crest Cab is great too at $6 a bottle. Right now, my fave goto for steak is probably Blackstone Merlot, avail all over for $8-$9. Last night, in the glass you see was a Yellow Tail Shiraz.