Lawdog

Weber Genesis EP-320

DAM THE LUCK!!!!

Me new to Weber but 63 years of eating well.

E-320

Genesis Blue 2 door.

Mmmmmm, good.

We pay $1,800.0 US for our Weber bargains in NZ as were "Stranded in Paradice" VMC_T.O

Glad this was of help! Welcome to the Source and to my little thread. You're going to love this grill.

Lawdog

Now, back to the steaks. Tonight's episode, The Lawdog Signature Steak.

Glad the thread has been helpful. I've "sold" another grill here to a buddy... We had he and his wife over for steaks a while back and now he is a Weber convert.

Tonight, I did up what I call my signature steak. This is my default, my trusty goto, when I must have a great steak. It's easy and always is a hit.

I started with two great sirloins from a meat shop in town. Mine was just over 1# and my wife's was about .75#, both just over an inch thick. Good marbling. Always buy good meat.

Basic recipe:

Hit them with a little olive oil to help hold the rub. Then, a generous amount of Montreal Steak seasoning on both sides, then a generous amount of Kosher salt, on one side only. All rubbed in aggressively. I put them aside to sit for a bit. Good to give the rub a few minutes to do its thing. Meanwhile, I fired the grill and cracked open an American Ale. Oh, and I quick cut a couple thick onion slices for the grate. Everything gets staged by the Gray Lady while she heats....

Heated to 550 and opened her up and threw down the steaks. A healthy dose of fresh-ground telicherry pepper.... Close the hood... Drink some ale...

2 minutes, turn. 2 minutes, flip. Oooo! A little fire! Must have been that nice chunk of fat I left on one steak... Nice and blackened!

post-6191-1251941861_thumb.jpg

2 more minutes, then off with the middle and rear burner. I slid them all back to the rear to let them finish safely on indirect heat. Finally, they went back into a glass tray to rest while we finish the basmati rice. Yum.

As a final touch, I softened some butter, threw in a little garlic and poured it over both steaks just before serving. Steak houses will often do this for a couple reasons. It gives that burst of flavor in the first few bites and it makes them appear more moist. Of course, if you grill them right, that isn't an issue. But, it's a good nugget to keep in mind when you have company.

post-6191-1251941915_thumb.jpg

The aroma was amazing... this is going to be good! And that, my friends, is the Lawdog Signature Steak. Nothing to it, but it is life-changing anyway! :lol: Until next time!

post-6191-1251942003_thumb.jpg

Everyone - I want to thank this thread for giving me the information that allowed me to purchase a brand new EP 320 copper. This great information was enough to convince "the one who must be obeyed" (thanks David Feherty). We have used it 4 times in the last week with great results. Birthday BBQ last Sunday evening - $56+ worth of filets and they came out perfectly. Just waiting for the cover from Amazon to arrive - hopefully later this week. The weather in OH has been perfect this week and it looks like it is going to stay that way right thru the weekend.

In regards to the side burner - if anyone wants to use it the best cookware to use IMO will be a nonstick aluminum pan. The aluminum will heat up very quickly compared to stainless or cast iron. You don't need anything expensive, anything in the 2.5mm - 3mm thickness will work just fine. Walmart carries a good selection in the below $50 range for a set, or if you are looking for an individual piece - try Amazon. The Hamilton Beach Elite line will work just fine.

Thanks again!

Glad the thread was helpful! We love the pics, so throw em in.

Now, back to the steaks. Tonight's episode, The Lawdog Signature Steak.

Glad the thread has been helpful. I've "sold" another grill here to a buddy... We had he and his wife over for steaks a while back and now he is a Weber convert.

Tonight, I did up what I call my signature steak. This is my default, my trusty goto, when I must have a great steak. It's easy and always is a hit.

I started with two great sirloins from a meat shop in town. Mine was just over 1# and my wife's was about .75#, both just over an inch thick. Good marbling. Always buy good meat.

Basic recipe:

Hit them with a little olive oil to help hold the rub. Then, a generous amount of Montreal Steak seasoning on both sides, then a generous amount of Kosher salt, on one side only. All rubbed in aggressively. I put them aside to sit for a bit. Good to give the rub a few minutes to do its thing. Meanwhile, I fired the grill and cracked open an American Ale. Oh, and I quick cut a couple thick onion slices for the grate. Everything gets staged by the Gray Lady while she heats....

Heated to 550 and opened her up and threw down the steaks. A healthy dose of fresh-ground telicherry pepper.... Close the hood... Drink some ale...

2 minutes, turn. 2 minutes, flip. Oooo! A little fire! Must have been that nice chunk of fat I left on one steak... Nice and blackened!

post-6191-1251941861_thumb.jpg

2 more minutes, then off with the middle and rear burner. I slid them all back to the rear to let them finish safely on indirect heat. Finally, they went back into a glass tray to rest while we finish the basmati rice. Yum.

As a final touch, I softened some butter, threw in a little garlic and poured it over both steaks just before serving. Steak houses will often do this for a couple reasons. It gives that burst of flavor in the first few bites and it makes them appear more moist. Of course, if you grill them right, that isn't an issue. But, it's a good nugget to keep in mind when you have company.

post-6191-1251941915_thumb.jpg

The aroma was amazing... this is going to be good! And that, my friends, is the Lawdog Signature Steak. Nothing to it, but it is life-changing anyway! ;) Until next time!

post-6191-1251942003_thumb.jpg

Thats a good looking steak.

The grill marks are wonderfull

The inside is a little rare for my taste.

No veggies? :wub:

The food police will contact you about that :lol:

Ronald, the shrubs and roots (aka salad) landed on another plate. My wife makes these amazing salads and my plate was too small for both. :lol:

Hi all,

I was a charcoal guy all my life until I had access to a brand new CharBroil during vacation. Then i got the bug to get a propane grill of my own. I still am keeping my old Weber kettle. At first, I shopped all of the big box stores and was immediately drawn to the big fancy mid-level grills like the Red. Once I see features like built in coolers and little ovens, those models are must haves. However, after reading up on grills in general, I didn't want to end up with a rusty hulk after just a few seasons.

So, I really wanted a Genesis EP-320 (I wanted the stainless innards). But $800 was a little too steep to justify. Lo and behold, I happened to have just enough Amex points to get a copper EP-320 from their Fall catalog. Completely free, no shipping or tax, such a deal.

So my first question to you folks is how to use it a little more efficiently for searing steak. I understand the direct/indirect concept, but the heat does not seem high enough to get a good sear. If you preheat to 500 degrees, drop in the meat, then close the lid, isn't that more or less just replicating an oven?

Hi all,

If you preheat to 500 degrees, drop in the meat, then close the lid, isn't that more or less just replicating an oven?

Welcome Mister Blue it would be the same as your oven if the oven had flames licking the steak (thats your broiler, an upside down BBQ grill) 500 degree's with flames will make for a wonderful steak..have fun with it.

and the free grill was a score ;)

jim

Hi all,

I was a charcoal guy all my life until I had access to a brand new CharBroil during vacation. Then i got the bug to get a propane grill of my own. I still am keeping my old Weber kettle. At first, I shopped all of the big box stores and was immediately drawn to the big fancy mid-level grills like the Red. Once I see features like built in coolers and little ovens, those models are must haves. However, after reading up on grills in general, I didn't want to end up with a rusty hulk after just a few seasons.

So, I really wanted a Genesis EP-320 (I wanted the stainless innards). But $800 was a little too steep to justify. Lo and behold, I happened to have just enough Amex points to get a copper EP-320 from their Fall catalog. Completely free, no shipping or tax, such a deal.

So my first question to you folks is how to use it a little more efficiently for searing steak. I understand the direct/indirect concept, but the heat does not seem high enough to get a good sear. If you preheat to 500 degrees, drop in the meat, then close the lid, isn't that more or less just replicating an oven?

Welcome.

There a re a couple of things you can do.

First you are not letting the grill get hot enough.

After 15 minutes you should be at 600 or better

That will sear anything.

Another option is to put a cast iron griddle or grate in the grill.

A third option is to just place a cast iron skillet on the grill

Talking about a sear.

Cast iron is great for that

I gotcha. I just think this grill would be perfect if they added a side IR burner.

Another question for those who use Propane. I bought a full tank from Home Depot for about $48. I assume the trade in will be what, $20? I noticed the tank was not full when I put it on the grill scale. I had heard the tank trade places were under-filling to hold down the price during last year's price spikes, but it appears they are still doing it, unless I picked a bad one. Would you have it filled yourself, or pay for the convenience of trading tanks?

I gotcha. I just think this grill would be perfect if they added a side IR burner.

Another question for those who use Propane. I bought a full tank from Home Depot for about $48. I assume the trade in will be what, $20? I noticed the tank was not full when I put it on the grill scale. I had heard the tank trade places were under-filling to hold down the price during last year's price spikes, but it appears they are still doing it, unless I picked a bad one. Would you have it filled yourself, or pay for the convenience of trading tanks?

Take your tank to your local Uhaul

They will actually fill it for $12

If you look at the sticker on the side of Home Depot Tank exchange it clearly states you are getting 15 lbs of propane for $19.95. The tank will hold pretty close to 20 lbs, depending on temperature at time of fill. If you have it filled at U-Haul, etc. you will get 4.5 gallons (overfill protection device stops at that point) which is around 19.6 lbs. Here in AZ, LPG is around $3.25/gal.

beach

And one more question - what would you suggest for cleaning out the SS interior? Soak the grids in soapy water? Clean the flavor bars or leave them alone?

i just take my bars out every so often and hit them with my wire brush after a good hot cleaning cycle and use a shop vac below the burners to remove ash as far as the grids or I assume you mean the cooking grates I would brush them down before cooking not after (no SOAP (ever) and no water, unless your steam cleaning them) when I'm done cooking I just turn the grill off and clean the grates before I start cooking so I'm leaving the burned sauce's and fats on the grates even though mine are SS I still don't want to expose them bare, to humidity.

jim

i just take my bars out every so often and hit them with my wire brush after a good hot cleaning cycle and use a shop vac below the burners to remove ash as far as the grids or I assume you mean the cooking grates I would brush them down before cooking not after (no SOAP (ever) and no water, unless your steam cleaning them) when I'm done cooking I just turn the grill off and clean the grates before I start cooking so I'm leaving the burned sauce's and fats on the grates even though mine are SS I still don't want to expose them bare, to humidity.

jim

After it warms up, I will hit the grates with my brass brush, just before the food hits. Then, when done, I give my grates a once-over once all the food comes off, again with the brass bristled brush. These two things tend to keep them clean enough. Once a month or so, I will pull the grates out and use a plastic paint scraper to push the crud down through the hole on the pan, then I pull it out and dump it, scraping it with the plastic scraper too.

As for the flavorizer bars, mine have turned a strange color after a summer of cooking. I might pull them and clean them a bit this fall, but so far, they're no maint.

If you have a Costco and ever feel the need for a new canister, they sell for pretty cheap there and they're good tanks. I fill mine at U-Haul too. The exchange places are not the way to go in the long haul. And, I always know the tank has been well taken care of, by me.

After it warms up, I will hit the grates with my brass brush, just before the food hits. Then, when done, I give my grates a once-over once all the food comes off, again with the brass bristled brush. These two things tend to keep them clean enough. Once a month or so, I will pull the grates out and use a plastic paint scraper to push the crud down through the hole on the pan, then I pull it out and dump it, scraping it with the plastic scraper too.

As for the flavorizer bars, mine have turned a strange color after a summer of cooking. I might pull them and clean them a bit this fall, but so far, they're no maint.

That is about what I do to mine, found it works well.

There is only a buck or two difference in new tank prices at any big store.

I have found as I suspect that they have, most folk want to drive up and swap their tanks rather than drive to the gas dealer to have them refilled.

Go figure.

John

Time to bring this one back up to date. We're nearing 10,000 views and I hope it's continuing to be helpful for people shopping for a new grill. For those of you who've bought one recently, by all means add your thoughts into this thread to help others out. And pics too.

Time to bring this one back up to date. We're nearing 10,000 views and I hope it's continuing to be helpful for people shopping for a new grill. For those of you who've bought one recently, by all means add your thoughts into this thread to help others out. And pics too.

Just letting you know that this thread is most likely selling an EP-320 to my friend as I type this. ;)

TomT