Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anker

What do you want when...

So when you go to a BBQ place what do you want to see?

What do they need on the menu?

What are the things you would like to do without?

What makes places the best in your eyes?

So when you go to a BBQ place what do you want to see?

What do they need on the menu?

What are the things you would like to do without?

What makes places the best in your eyes?

Great market research.

So what's the location and the name of the bbq place that you're opening?

Shelly

For me, it's not what I need to see, but what I need to smell. Most good BBQ places you can smell before you can see them. A nice thick plume of smoke coming out from the smokers is nice too. Now I know some places are in cities with ordnances that don't allow live fires and the like, and have to use electric smokers that don't let a lot of smoke or smell out, and they can make for some mighty find BBQ, but the best advertising you will ever get is that rumble in the tummy people will get from the smell of the smoke and the meat if you can do a real coal or wood fired pit.

As far as the menu goes, you have to have what your area is known for, if it has a BBQ history. My personal favorite is always Carolina pulled pork, with either a thing vinegary spicy sauce or a mustard sauce. Brisket is good too, as are hot links. I've never been a big rib man or a huge fan of thick sweet sauces, but those draw plenty of people too.

Inside it should be like any restaurant - clean, plenty of napkins around since 'cue is messy, and if you want to put out a selection of sauces you can go for that too. Kitschy backwoods decor doesn't do anything for me unless the place is really old and in the backwoods, just make it look inviting.

Side dishes are important too. The biggest thing here is to pick what you want to do and do it well, no one wants to find a favorite on the menu, order it, and find out the place does it in some

half-ass way just to stick it on the menu. Personally, I love good southern style green beans (cooked till they are almost brown, with a smoked ham hock or at least some bacon, and a bit of cayenne and vinegar) and good collard greens. In fact, I'll go to a place that has good collard greens just for the greens. Mac and cheese is tricky, a lot of people love it, I'm a bit neutral towards it myself unless it is really good, but if you are going to do it, make it something special.

Beverages-wise, if you have a liquor license get some good beers, your standard domestics and imports plus some local microbrews or craft brews, show off your region. Sweet tea is an absolute must, and should be fresh brewed, as in from actual leaves or bags, not some concoction of syrup or powder + water.

What's a bbq place???? :):)

What's a bbq place???? :):)

Tute,

That original post was, like I said, just market research by someone who wanted to open a restaurant.

the poster disappeared from the forum. He probably posted the same post on every bbq forum on the Internet. Just a user and a taker, not a contributor.

Your answer, by the way, is very well thought out and comprehensive. God job.

Shelly

What about my answer??? :rolleyes: