Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

JohnNC

Completed my Jenn-Air Mods - $30

41 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm betting that even the new "sear burner" will not generate that much (or at least not much more) heat! I think that with the L-bracket bolted to the top, and the removable panels over the vents, you'll have accomplished pretty much the same heat retention as the newer models, for less money, and "tons" more ss to boot!

Hey, I'm betting that even the new "sear burner" will not generate that much (or at least not much more) heat! I think that with the L-bracket bolted to the top, and the removable panels over the vents, you'll have accomplished pretty much the same heat retention as the newer models, for less money, and "tons" more ss to boot!

I'm not sure this will be true. The purpose of the sear burner is to provide extremely high heat at 2-4" above the burner to instantly "sear" the meat, fish, etc.... and vaporize any drippings before it hits the burner. Typically you will only use it for the initial 2 -3 minutes of cooking and thats it. Then you will be concerned with heat retention when you are cooking until it's finished.

My initial thoughts on the MM sear units were they were way underrated but it looks like they can hit around 1000 degrees which is very good for a smaller burner. That was accomplished with only 13K BTU's so I'm assuming with a 23K burner, one should easily hit 1400 degress or better. Most of the high end grills have at least a 35-38K sear burner. I really want someone to get one of these babies and report back the findings. A sear burner is a MUSH HAVE on my next grill :blink:

Don, are these "sear" burners shaped and/or configured different than the normal burners? Not just larger BTU output? You mentioned that they reach higher temps 2-4 inches above the burner. After the initial searing of the meat, if you turn down the heat does it behave as a normal burner? In other words, are the flame holes patterned differently, or maybe more vertical than horizontal? Larger diameters to allow more volume of flame? I haven't seen one before. I guess I just assumed they were normal burners (as far as construction) with higher output. I know I am really anxious for those particular models to be available. My intent is to purchase the 4-burner which includes a sear unit. Can't wait to see the juices "vaporized"! We had snow yesterday, and temps have dropped from 60 down to the teens and low twentys over the weekend (here in Central NJ). My grill(s) are growing more feeble and quite lame about getting the steaks seared without overcooking the inside. They can't compete against these Arctic temperatures! I was almost ready to plonk down the cash on the 3 burner (just because they are in stock), but restrained the urge. I know I would regret it later. I have to be patient until the larger units hit the stores. Haven't even seen the sear units online as yet. But, like you, a sear burner is A MUST HAVE on my next grill! Have been thinking about getting out my Oxy/Acetylene welding torchs and hitting the steaks for a few seconds (hee hee). :blink: Mike

Don, are these "sear" burners shaped and/or configured different than the normal burners? Not just larger BTU output? You mentioned that they reach higher temps 2-4 inches above the burner. After the initial searing of the meat, if you turn down the heat does it behave as a normal burner? In other words, are the flame holes patterned differently, or maybe more vertical than horizontal? Larger diameters to allow more volume of flame? I haven't seen one before. I guess I just assumed they were normal burners (as far as construction) with higher output.

Mike, no, they are totally different. Typically they are large IR burners that look similar to the rotis burner. Go HERE and scroll down the page. It's pictured on the left . This one from Viking is rated at 30K BTU's. Other mfg's like SureHeat also have them standard and some only use IR burners instead of regular burners. Typically one wouldn't actually "grill" on the searing section of the grill. You would sear the meat and then turn off the burner and move it to the other side of the grill where the regular burners are. On these new JA models I'm curious as to how they are set up and if they actually use a true IR burner.

Thanks Don. I've seen those IR burners on an MHP at a local distributer, they are used for the entire grill. Salesman had told me that they were much more effective than normal burners. I didn't realize that they could be utilized for searing, but at 23k+ I imagine it should be awesome. These particular burners were only 12k (probably not meant for searing), but I can see where they lend themselves more effectively than a normal burner. Have you ever used one first hand? If they do vaporize well, they should not be so messy to keep clean, right? Speculation! I want it NOW! The anticipation is killing me! Jumping around the numerous web pages viewing all those thousands of grills is causing much chagrin at this delay. I appreciate your seemingly endless source of info on all things "grill". Mike

Thanks Don. I've seen those IR burners on an MHP at a local distributer, they are used for the entire grill. Salesman had told me that they were much more effective than normal burners. I didn't realize that they could be utilized for searing, but at 23k+ I imagine it should be awesome. These particular burners were only 12k (probably not meant for searing), but I can see where they lend themselves more effectively than a normal burner. Have you ever used one first hand? If they do vaporize well, they should not be so messy to keep clean, right? Speculation! I want it NOW! The anticipation is killing me! Jumping around the numerous web pages viewing all those thousands of grills is causing much chagrin at this delay. I appreciate your seemingly endless source of info on all things "grill".  Mike

Unfortunately I've only checked them out in the store but I do know a couple folks who have used them and swear by them. The concept makes sense. If you do a search on "grillmate" on this forum you will see this is a similar design utilizing standard burners. The design is meant for flareups but the overall design is similar to an IR setup. It's a ceramic insert that will work on moust grills. It gathers and holds the heat in. As it gets up to a high temp it will actually vaporize and infuse the smoke back into the product. You are spot on with the statement about cleaning. WIth that much heat and instant vaporization of the drippings there is virtually nothing to clean up. Once the meat is sealed off from searing you can reduce the heat and cook the product to desired temp. The searing burner works in a similar fashion, albeit it's sole purpose is just to sear and not to cook. by MHP are you referring to Modern Home Products? I've never seen their grills in person but looking on their site it only looks like they use "H" style standard burners. I'd like to see the ones you are referring to, post some info if you have any on these grills.

Don

"by MHP are you referring to Modern Home Products? I've never seen their grills in person but looking on their site it only looks like they use "H" style standard burners. I'd like to see the ones you are referring to, post some info if you have any on these grills."

Don, these burners were offered for two years by MHP, discontinued last year. However, they are now offering them once again (special order) beginning this spring. Actually, my local dealer (Dickson Supply, in Brielle, NJ) said they are available already. He has already placed his spring order (coming in next week) but did not request any of those with the IR burners. He can order one now but will have to charge $50.00 shipping. Or wait until his next order and include on that. I like them, but have definitely decided to go with the newer JA 4 burner when available. As far as the MHP, the IR units were identical to their normal line, just included IR burners instead of the H pattern standard grills. My sales rep told me they had sold about a half dozen units, which is why they are not included in this initial order of inventory - not enough interest. Given the option, I suppose I would have preferred them, seems like a much more even heat pattern, less cleanup, and more economical to burn as they hold the heat longer. But, as we know, this forum has already addressed this problem :blink: Unfortunately, he had no brochures with any info on them, but they are in the computer system of all MHP stores, so, if you have any local to your vicinity, you can stop in and they can help you with any more info. Should I come across any of my literature from the past (my dealer sends me all this on a regular basis - I purchase a lot from them for my business <unrelated to the grills> and I don't often dispose of everything), I'll scan and post for your pleasure. Mike

Don, I received correspondence from MHP regarding their IR grills:

" We do currently have infrared grills in production, and you should be able to get the replacements now. I suggest speaking with our larger distributor, Dickson Supply, in Brielle. Their information is listed below. If they are for some reason unable to help you, please feel free to contact us toll-free at (888) 647-4745. Additionally, I put into the mail, the brochures that we have that regard the infrared grills at this time. Thank you for your business. GGIRB - Square Infrared Burner for WRG, WHRG, TRG, and THRG grills.

Dickson Supply

1 Union Avenue

Brielle , NJ 08730

800-456-5267

Dickson Supply

Grills, Parts, Lighting

Thank you for choosing Modern Home Products. -- (MHP Customer Service)"

This is the response to my query on obtaining the IR burners to retrofit my existing MHP (I'm thinking of retaining it as a backup/auxilary grill for those larger parties). Great company, they got back to my email question within (4) hours! When I receive the brochures, I will scan and post for your reading, or pop it in the mail if you prefer. Wish I knew that I could have been using these burners in my grill (WRG) all along. I had already replaced my "lifetime" ss burners twice in the six years I used this grill. And PAID for the replacements, unaware that I had a lifetime guarantee from MHP (through my local dealer no less!). Anyway, hope this satisfies your curiosity. Mike

Mike, that is awesome, thanks so much for doing this. I'd really love to see their units so I'm awaiting your post with the pics. Start a new thread when you get them so it will be easier to follow. Any idea what the price is on these IR units? I'm thinking of possibly retrofitting one of my burners with an IR unit. This was discussed a year or so ago on here. I've been in touch with the guys that sell the IR units and it can be done for about $150 or so. I'd be curious what the stats are on the MHP burners and the pricing. Keep me posted, and again thanks for doing this.

Don

Okay, Don. Soon as the pics arrive, I will post what info/photos I get. And yes, I'll post in a new thread - should be exciting. Mike

Okay, Don. Soon as the pics arrive, I will post what info/photos I get. And yes, I'll post in a new thread - should be exciting. Mike

Great!! Thanks mike.

Thanks to all you guys on this board, I completed the center divider mod and the other mods involving shutting down the huge gap between the covers when closed and also the rear louvered gaps.

I had all three pieces made from 304 stainless by my local sheet metal guy for $30. 

thanks for all the help

Hi,

After reading all the mods on this board, and to the different ideas, I follow most

of the methods that JohnNC did. Dimensions were adjusted for the 5 burner model.

I purchase all my ss sheetmetal and material from metalonline.com just for convenience. It cost a little more, but the material was heavier.

For the angle bar for the top gap I purchased the following SS bar.

Stainless T-316 Angle

1.25" x 1.25" x 0.125"

Cut to: 36"

This leaves a slight gap (1/8 in)at the top. This is a heavy weight angle bar and just sit on

top of the hood. It's actually very stable. I might bolt it down with SS screws later, but it fit pretty good just sitting there.

=============================================

For the sheet to cover the rear louvered gaps I purchased the following:

1 piece stainless T-304 Annealed 2B Sheet

0.06" (16 ga.)

Cut to: 6" x 33"

It actually is too tall (6"), but using #10-24 3/4 in screws and JohnCN method of mirrow clips,

I was able to make a tight fitting cover. Because the sheet is a little too tall. I had to use an extra nut between the clip and the sheet. This actually work out pretty good because the bottom sheet edge fits tight against the back of the grill with only a very small gap at the top.

It took about 10 minutes to drill the four holes for the screws to mount the mirrow clips

back without the mod

how the clip is mounted to the panel

how the cover is fitted to the back panel on the inside of the grill

====================================================

For the bottom divider I purchased the following material:

1 piece Stainless T-304 Annealed 2B sheet (14 ga)

Cut to: 6" x 20".

====================================================

This is my experience with the ventilation mods.

Prior to the mod, it would take about 20 minutes with all 5 burners to reach around 450 degrees on the hood. You could hardly tell the gauge was moving during the warmup. The grates were reaching about 650-700 degrees, and it would never get hot enough to turn the residure particle to ashes. Bushing still left the grate with a coating of particles.

After installation of the angle bracket and the rear louvered gap.

It took only 8 minutes to reach 425-450 on the hood gauge.

About 13 minutes to reach 500 and 16 minutes to reach 620 degrees. You could actually see the gauge moving.

The grates now are reaching 950-1000 with a laser instrutment reading. I was able to wire bush the grates clean in about 5 minutes down to the steel. It was working like a self-cleaning oven turning all the particles to ashes.

I cook a 14# pork roast with just the two end burners on, three middle off, in about an hour. the hood gauge was still indicating 450 degrees with just two burners.

===================================================

I also ordered a set of 5 #57 drill gauge from drillcity.com. this is one size smaller than the size recommended to convert to 15K burners. The drill bit that everyone is talking about can be found under propane bits. But the grill is grilling

so well now, I will just wait and see how well it continue to perform.

takeahike66

:)

Edited by takeahike66

Nice work on the mods. I have been very hesitant to do any of the flow restriction mods because I didn't want to void the warranty. But the amount of propane I'll save over the years will probably pay for the grill. So I figure...what the heck...let's do this. Also, the new grills hitting the market have these mods already done. My 4 burner gets the same results as yours did before you did your mods except my surface temps get a little hotter. In fact, the burners and flame tamers get so hot that they glow red when I shut them off. I have the 15k orifices also. I think if I shut the gaps down, I may have to put smaller orifices back in so it doesn't get too hot. Never thought I'd say that about these Jenn-Airs....too hot.

Nice work on the mods. I have been very hesitant to do any of the flow restriction mods because I didn't want to void the warranty. But the amount of propane I'll save over the years will probably pay for the grill. So I figure...what the heck...let's do this. Also, the new grills hitting the market have these mods already done. My 4 burner gets the same results as yours did before you did your mods except my surface temps get a little hotter. In fact, the burners and flame tamers get so hot that they glow red when I shut them off. I have the 15k orifices also. I think if I shut the gaps down, I may have to put smaller orifices back in so it doesn't get too hot. Never thought I'd say that about these Jenn-Airs....too hot.

Hi,

I may not have been clear on the drilling out. I purchases the bits, but did not drill out the orifices because the gap mod produced enough heat. With the 12K orifices, the flame tamers have never glow, but the grates are hotter now with just the two gap mods. :)

takeahike

The center divider is exactly to the drawing posted on this board (a little tighter so i don't have to bolt it in).

Where can I find this drawing?

Bill

Where can I find this drawing?

Bill

I could not find the original post that had the drawing, but here is a copy.

the original diagram:

my modification of it:

These dimensions were for the 05 model,

A lot has changed in the the 06, 07 and 08 models where the burners rest. there is a safety gas crossover along the firebox now, etc. So these dimension will not work for the bottom part of the divider.

Also, it is not as effective on the three burner model, but works very well on the 4 and the old 5 burner models.

Hike

I could not find the original post that had the drawing, but here is a copy.

the original diagram:

my modification of it:

These dimensions were for the 05 model,

A lot has changed in the the 06, 07 and 08 models where the burners rest. there is a safety gas crossover along the firebox now, etc. So these dimension will not work for the bottom part of the divider.

Also, it is not as effective on the three burner model, but works very well on the 4 and the old 5 burner models.

Hike

So the center divider only divides the firebox? correct, I was thinking it would go up to the cover, making two complete sections

in the grill. What exact advantage does this perform and would it be advantageous to have one divide up to the grill cover?

Bill

Don't even know if any of the old posters are still around, but my huge THANKS to them for the ideas to improve my heat on my beloved old 5-burner. Replaced the regulator (had a crimped hose from the "2 o'clock position" issue), and now added the 36" SS angle-iron. Got it from Online Metals, as others had suggested, for $17 + shipping. Laid it on top, in the gap (didn't even worry about bolting it down yet), fired up all 5 burners on high. Keep in mind my flame tamers were kinda dirty from the last 4-5 meals grilled, and usually don't run at their hottest unless I've fully cleaned my grill, but I could IMMEDIATELY tell the difference, as the original hood thermometer moved NOTICEABLY past 200, 300, 400, before I finally shut it off as it was still climbing to 500 degrees. I suspect that my hood thermometer is off, and will soon be replacing it with the Tel-Tru BQ-250, cuz this sucker was SMOKIN'!!! Turned all of the grease and etc. on the grates and flame-tamers to ASH within 15 minutes.

I had held off buying the rectangular piece of SS to block the rear vents, thinking I may not even need it. I'll get the new thermometer, and see what the temps are near my grates before doing anything else. Can't wait to try searing some RIBEYES on this baby this weekend!

I know this is an old posting but still could use your help. I cant' get your picture attachment to open on Barbeque Source so I can see them. They say they can't find the file. I'm new to this forum and this old posting would solve many of my problems that I have with my older JA / 4 burner plus a sear burner. Is it possible you can repost the pictures or is their someway for you to send them directly to me. I'm hoping you still have them or can tell me how to get them.

Thanks for your help.

Wild BillEmail me

Here are some pictures of the blank off plate to cover the rear vents.'t find the file

the piece is 5.5 by 27 with all sides hemmed. I fit small angles (mirror hangers) so you simply hang in on the vent openings. Attach in a few seconds, remove when you don't want to use it.

I would probably go 5.25 inch by 27 to give some more up and down room when trying to get the hooks to catch.