Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cuskit

Name This Breed!

During our stay in Kennebunkport, Maine, I made a new friend. The owners of the Bed & Breakfast we stayed in (The Captain Fairfield Inn) have a great little female pet - her name is Parker. Though skitterish at first, she comes around and is quite playful once she accepts you. They say dogs recognize a dog lover - so I guess she knew she'd be safe with me! I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Inn, which was so much more so because of this terrific dog.

I neglected to ask the owners what breed dog she was, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out. Recounting stories about our trip with our friends, ultimately I speak about her, and the question repeatedly comes up. So.... I'd love to be able to give a proper answer without having to call up the young couple that owns her! ;) She is certainly a large dog (look at the "horselike" legs on her)! She is waist high, and I'd guess at least 80 pounds or more. And very fast - man can she ever run! For sure a pure bred, and I'm guessing her lineage is awesome. It's also obvious that she is a very intelligent dog. I'm thinking some kind of hunting dog? Whatever - she was beautiful!

Here's a picture I snapped of her the first day I met her:

Mike

I'm not sure Mike, but she looks like a mixed breed of some type. I think you're might be right about the hunting dog, but her body shape reminds me of a coursing dog like a Whippet, or Saluki with those longer hind legs.

Saluki

Later

Pat

I'm not sure Mike, but she looks like a mixed breed of some type. I think you're might be right about the hunting dog, but her body shape reminds me of a coursing dog like a Whippet, or Saluki with those longer hind legs.

Saluki

Later

Pat

Pat,

Sorry to differ - but Parker is for sure all Pure Bred! Just look at the coat. And the proud, upright stance. She just exudes a long line of high breeding! I mentioned hunting dog, and after your post did a little bit of research. I thought I've seen hunters looking very similar, and am confident now that I was right - I'm going with an English Pointer. A downloaded photo appears to verify this, look how similar the stance is with the dog on the left in the photo of the pair of PureBred English Pointers. Her eyes look slightly sadder, and her jowls hang a bit lower, but otherwise very close. Even the way they both carry their tail. And the coloring pattern on their faces are very similar (though different colors). Here's a bit of info I dug up (credit: dogbreedinfo.com):

"According to the most credible hypothesis, the Pointer was developed two centuries ago by crossing among the Italian Pointer, the Foxhound, the Bloodhound, the Greyhound, the Newfoundland, the Setter, and the Bulldog. This is an almost unbelievable mix, but it certainly has produced an outstanding result. The modern Pointer has existed for about eighty years. The Pointer is named for the motionless stance the dog assumes once he has found game. The direction of the point tells the hunter where the game is hiding. The first recorded mentions of the Pointer in England date from around 1650, when the Pointer was used to find hare for the Greyhound to hunt. By the early 1700's the Pointer became the dog of choice. The Pointer is renowned for his scenting prowess. He works very quickly, covering a lot of ground. The Pointer is particularly good on upland birds, but adapts well to other game. The breed has excellent endurance in warm weather, but is not suited to very cold conditions. Working best on land he is not very comfortable in water. He has a legendary tracking and pointing skills, but is not usually expected to retrieve game. A competitive dog, the Pointer still dominates Pointing Field Trials over all other pointing breeds. Today, the Pointer is a family hunting dog and companion."

This copy throws me a bit though: "Height: Dogs 22-24 inches (55-62cm.) Bitches 21-24 inches (54-60cm.)

Weight: 44-66 pounds (20-30kg)" Parker may weigh less than I'm guessing, but her height is definitely closer to 32" or more... I'm not sure - where do they measure a dog's height? At their shoulders (like a horse) or the top of their head? Parker is maybe 24" or more at the shoulder, but her head is almost to my waist (which is closer to three feet). Could she be like ARod (athlete on steroids)? ;)

Parker (left photo) English Pointers (center photo) English Pointer (right photo)

What do you think? Are there any bog breeders out there? I know many of you hunt - do those of you that do know anything about the breed of this dog? Billy Goat - I'm confident that you could help me here!

Mike

Pat,

Sorry to differ - but Parker is for sure all Pure Bred! Just look at the coat. And the proud, upright stance. She just exudes a long line of high breeding! I mentioned hunting dog, and after your post did a little bit of research. I thought I've seen hunters looking very similar, and am confident now that I was right - I'm going with an English Pointer. A downloaded photo appears to verify this, look how similar the stance is with the dog on the left in the photo of the pair of PureBred English Pointers. Her eyes look slightly sadder, and her jowls hang a bit lower, but otherwise very close. Even the way they both carry their tail. And the coloring pattern on their faces are very similar (though different colors). Here's a bit of info I dug up (credit: dogbreedinfo.com):

"According to the most credible hypothesis, the Pointer was developed two centuries ago by crossing among the Italian Pointer, the Foxhound, the Bloodhound, the Greyhound, the Newfoundland, the Setter, and the Bulldog. This is an almost unbelievable mix, but it certainly has produced an outstanding result. The modern Pointer has existed for about eighty years. The Pointer is named for the motionless stance the dog assumes once he has found game. The direction of the point tells the hunter where the game is hiding. The first recorded mentions of the Pointer in England date from around 1650, when the Pointer was used to find hare for the Greyhound to hunt. By the early 1700's the Pointer became the dog of choice. The Pointer is renowned for his scenting prowess. He works very quickly, covering a lot of ground. The Pointer is particularly good on upland birds, but adapts well to other game. The breed has excellent endurance in warm weather, but is not suited to very cold conditions. Working best on land he is not very comfortable in water. He has a legendary tracking and pointing skills, but is not usually expected to retrieve game. A competitive dog, the Pointer still dominates Pointing Field Trials over all other pointing breeds. Today, the Pointer is a family hunting dog and companion."

This copy throws me a bit though: "Height: Dogs 22-24 inches (55-62cm.) Bitches 21-24 inches (54-60cm.)

Weight: 44-66 pounds (20-30kg)" Parker may weigh less than I'm guessing, but her height is definitely closer to 32" or more... I'm not sure - where do they measure a dog's height? At their shoulders (like a horse) or the top of their head? Parker is maybe 24" or more at the shoulder, but her head is almost to my waist (which is closer to three feet). Could she be like ARod (athlete on steroids)? ;)

Parker (left photo) English Pointers (center photo) English Pointer (right photo)

What do you think? Are there any bog breeders out there? I know many of you hunt - do those of you that do know anything about the breed of this dog? Billy Goat - I'm confident that you could help me here!

Mike

Mike - it definitely has a EP head, but that body is a bit different. I was going to call it an English Dane Pointer :P I've never seen an EP with a solid (dark colored) body. (not that I've seen them all) It also seems a good bit larger (taller) than even the largest EP's I've hunted with.

Well, I'll widen my shoulders and admit I'm wrong. This dog IS a Great Dane. Further research brought up her twin. See here: http://www.danesrus.com/coppermine/display...bum=6&pos=7

I can't believe it, all the Danes I've ever seen look so different, primarily with the raised ears. But after finding the photo linked above, I can see the similarities. So much so that I decided to call my hosts up in Maine... ;) Lauren (who was the magnificent chef that prepared our gourmet meals) answered the call, and verified that Parker is INDEED a Great Dane. She is now 7 months old, stands 34" tall, and will definitely be a HORSE when she reaches 18 months! Wow! This dog that I played with is just a puppy! And her papers DO go way, way back!

Thanks - 70Chevelle and Durango Kid - you both were on the right track! :)

Parker (1st Photo) Bigs (2nd Photo)

Ruefully Wrong :P Mike ;)