Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Ronald

In search of the perfect Hotdog

142 posts in this topic

Was coming home yesterday after a friday cookout and drove past a Windmill off of exit 8 on the jersey turnpike

They serve one big hotdog

I was in hog heaven :D:rolleyes:

I asked if they sold raw dogs and they said a 5lb pack was $30

They sold me a 2 1/2 lb pack for $12

Maybe it's me but thats some fuzzy math

Guess what im cooking today :D:D:D:D

Ronald,

My local Foodtown Supermarket sells Windmill hot dogs for $9.99 per pound. Though very plump and large, good tasting and fresh - I can't justify a sawbuck per pound fer hot dogs! ;) My Thuman's are only $3.99 lb in bulk packs and taste just as good while also being plump and large.

Did you know that hot dogs are very photogenic? hint hint.... :D

Mike

Ronald,

My local Foodtown Supermarket sells Windmill hot dogs for $9.99 per pound. Though very plump and large, good tasting and fresh - I can't justify a sawbuck per pound fer hot dogs! :D My Thuman's are only $3.99 lb in bulk packs and taste just as good while also being plump and large.

Did you know that hot dogs are very photogenic? hint hint.... ;)

Mike

Mike

Are you telling me the local stores want almost a pound for what I paid for 2 1/2 pounds?

Also until you mentioned it I had no idea to think supermarket.

I went on the Windmill website and found that Sabrett made those hotdogs for windmill.

I can buy the regular Sabrett's in the supermarket.

In fact Costco sells them from time to time.

They didnt have any this morning so I got a pack of the 1/4 pound Hebrew Nationals to compare

What are Thurmans ?

After I cook them today I will take pictures :rolleyes:

Mike

Are you telling me the local stores want almost a pound for what I paid for 2 1/2 pounds?

Also until you mentioned it I had no idea to think supermarket.

I went on the Windmill website and found that Sabrett made those hotdogs for windmill.

I can buy the regular Sabrett's in the supermarket.

In fact Costco sells them from time to time.

They didnt have any this morning so I got a pack of the 1/4 pound Hebrew Nationals to compare

What are Thurmans ?

After I cook them today I will take pictures :D

No "r" - it's Thumans. 100% All Beef! As large as the Windmill, tastier and for sure one of the best natural casings out there! The kind that goes "snap" when you bite in! :rolleyes:

I didn't know that about the Sabretts - but they sure taste different than the normal Sabretts (which are very tiny compared to the Windmill). I've seen Sabretts (the small ones) in Costco- but never the larger sizes.

On the subject - did anyone catch that guy winning the hot dog eating contest yesterday (I think in Coney Island)? 68! That's on the roll, soaked in water! You talk about my steak! Try eating 68 Nathan's Hot Dogs in just a few minutes! Eek!

Mike

No "r" - it's Thumans. 100% All Beef! As large as the Windmill, tastier and for sure one of the best natural casings out there! The kind that goes "snap" when you bite in! :rolleyes:

I didn't know that about the Sabretts - but they sure taste different than the normal Sabretts (which are very tiny compared to the Windmill). I've seen Sabretts (the small ones) in Costco- but never the larger sizes.

On the subject - did anyone catch that guy winning the hot dog eating contest yesterday (I think in Coney Island)? 68! That's on the roll, soaked in water! You talk about my steak! Try eating 68 Nathan's Hot Dogs in just a few minutes! Eek!

Mike

Mike

Here are the dogs

Hebrew National 1/4 lb (from Costco)

These are Windmill dogs on the right, hebrew national on the left

grilled stringbeans to go with the dogs

Ronald,

You ate TWO WHOLE hot dogs? TWO! Man - I have one measly little steak and the guys are all over me, and here you go eating TWO whole hot dogs! With all kinds of veggie sides and pounds of bacon to boot! ;)

You know - I would never have thought of bacon with string beans - but on contemplation, it appears to be a perfect match! Thanks - it's on my agenda!

Which dog tasted better? Does bigger necessarily mean better? :rolleyes:

Mike

Ronald,

You ate TWO WHOLE hot dogs? TWO! Man - I have one measly little steak and the guys are all over me, and here you go eating TWO whole hot dogs! With all kinds of veggie sides and pounds of bacon to boot! ;)

You know - I would never have thought of bacon with string beans - but on contemplation, it appears to be a perfect match! Thanks - it's on my agenda!

Which dog tasted better? Does bigger necessarily mean better? :rolleyes:

Mike

Mike

I hate to disapoint you but I didnt eat both hotdogs

I ate half of each

I think how you cook them determines which one tastes best

On the grill I think it was a draw.

Steamed I give the edge to the Windmill dogs

I think Kuntzler dogs in natural casing are better than both of them thou

Kuntzler is from Lancaster pa.

My wife said that the Costco dogs (hebrew national)were a much better buy and I have to agree

The windmill dogs pop when you cook them a lot sooner than the kosher dogs do

Just a casual (no skillful photography here) picture of some basic dogs. This shot was taken at Valley Forge Park, PA. A small souvenir store that also sells some basic foods, and these dogs, though simple in appearance are quite tasty with just the most basic of toppings (mustard and relish from those little "squeeze packages). Kind of like those plump Ball Park dogs, but much tastier. They are cooked on one of those revolving frames with a bunch of metal rods that rotate the dogs constantly. We ALWAYS stop here for a couple of dogs on our "couple of times per year" trips. The park has a very long (maybe 5-7 mile) path meandering through the thousands of acres that provides a perfect bicycle ride, and having this little lunch stop makes the ride worth the effort.

Valley Forge Visitor Center Lunch Stop

post-640-1248026408_thumb.jpg

Mike

Just a casual (no skillful photography here) picture of some basic dogs. This shot was taken at Valley Forge Park, PA. A small souvenir store that also sells some basic foods, and these dogs, though simple in appearance are quite tasty with just the most basic of toppings (mustard and relish from those little "squeeze packages). Kind of like those plump Ball Park dogs, but much tastier. They are cooked on one of those revolving frames with a bunch of metal rods that rotate the dogs constantly. We ALWAYS stop here for a couple of dogs on our "couple of times per year" trips. The park has a very long (maybe 5-7 mile) path meandering through the thousands of acres that provides a perfect bicycle ride, and having this little lunch stop makes the ride worth the effort.

Valley Forge Visitor Center Lunch Stop

post-640-1248026408_thumb.jpg

Mike

Here is yet another Hotdog place in the midatlantic.

It's called the Hotdog Cafe

They have a hotdog that should be banned :lol:

It's called a Philly Dog

You guessed it,

It is a footlong hotdog topped of with a Philly Chesesteake :blink::o

http://www.phillyhotdogcafe.com/8501.html

Here is yet another Hotdog place in the midatlantic.

It's called the Hotdog Cafe

They have a hotdog that should be banned :lol:

It's called a Philly Dog

You guessed it,

It is a footlong hotdog topped of with a Philly Chesesteake :blink::o

http://www.phillyhotdogcafe.com/8501.html

I think I'd love to try a Philly Dog! Matter of fact - I will do just that!

I've a show in Philly in November, I'll have to see if I can squeeze a visit in to try them out. I love their big variety. Never heard of Vienna dogs before - but they sound good with no additives. Thanks for the link - glad to see someone is keeping this thread alive! Summer's coming to an end - but we sure don't stop eating dogs after Labor Day.. :(

mike

Here's a quick (5) hot dogs that will guarantee to put you in a casket, six feet under!

http://www.aldenteblog.com/2008/07/five-hot-dogs-t.html

But what a way to go! :lol:

mike

Here's a quick (5) hot dogs that will guarantee to put you in a casket, six feet under!

http://www.aldenteblog.com/2008/07/five-hot-dogs-t.html

But what a way to go! :lol:

mike

Mike

I have had Hotdog #3 on this list and as I said before , I didnt care for the location and the dog wasnt close to being as good as a dog from the other places we have been taking about

Mike

I have had Hotdog #3 on this list and as I said before , I didnt care for the location and the dog wasnt close to being as good as a dog from the other places we have been taking about

Ronald,

You are talking about Jimmy Buff's Hot Dog? I've never had one - but I see they cook the dogs in hot oil. Yecht! Dogs MUST BE GRILLED! :) Well, some people love them boiled in with their saurekraut (like my folks) which is not too bad, but grilling with a crunchy crust is the ultimate, regardless of any/all toppings. IMHO anyway! ;)

I wasn't endorsing - just posting a link to keep the thread alive! :lol: Though I really should visit Jimmy's since it IS here in Jersey! Just as soon as I get a new Harley Davidson and go on a road trip - Jimmy Buff's will be on my list of "must see" stops! ;)

mike

I haven't been following this thread but see that it keeps going on and on.

Alice asked me to make a picnic for her and some friends who were going to see a play at an outdoor theater in Carmel tonight. Among the foods I prepared was a tangy mustard potato salad.

Well, potato salad and cole slaw are my two favorite hot dog toppings. For my dinner, I was planning to chose from among crab and vegetable stuffed garden peppers in 2009 vintage tomato sauce, crispy oven fried chicken, or beef stew, all leftovers from the week.

Instead, I had two grilled Casper hot dogs with Dijon and piled high with my potato salad. ;)

The good life!!!

Shelly

I haven't been following this thread but see that it keeps going on and on.

Alice asked me to make a picnic for her and some friends who were going to see a play at an outdoor theater in Carmel tonight. Among the foods I prepared was a tangy mustard potato salad.

Well, potato salad and cole slaw are my two favorite hot dog toppings. For my dinner, I was planning to chose from among crab and vegetable stuffed garden peppers in 2009 vintage tomato sauce, crispy oven fried chicken, or beef stew, all leftovers from the week.

Instead, I had two grilled Casper hot dogs with Dijon and piled high with my potato salad. ;)

The good life!!!

Shelly

Yep! Sometimes it's the simple things that uncomplicate life and make it such a treasure! :P

mike

Yep! Sometimes it's the simple things that uncomplicate life and make it such a treasure! :)

mike

Mike

Today I went to

http://www.hollyeats.com/AnnsDariCreme.htm

It is in Glen Burnie MD. between Baltimore & Annapolis.

I got a double footlong with everything.

Now I need a nap :P

Mike

Today I went to

http://www.hollyeats.com/AnnsDariCreme.htm

It is in Glen Burnie MD. between Baltimore & Annapolis.

I got a double footlong with everything.

Now I need a nap :)

I just passed a Wendy's on the way back from a clients, got a large chili for $1.99. Now I want a nap...

Those hot dogs look good - reminds me of the place in Maine. Simple menu, good food. That's all you need. :P

mike

we need to figure out how to have fun without pissing on every ones thread though? I am starting to feel bad, we are talking about cameras and before you know it my niece is making breakfast at Shelly's house and your wife is being offered in exchange for a mixer, as fun as it is maybe you and I should have our own thread where we can exchange insults :lol:

Nah. Just let things ride. Nature has a way of correcting things herself...

Back on topic: The Staggs chili I buy at Costco is not a bad "store bought" canned goods. It has chunks of sirloin and gives quite a kick as it also contains jalepenos. Even Patty likes it - she'll use it to top her hot dogs on occasion.

Which is another direction that is upsetting us. We've always catered to buying the Thuman's all beef hot dogs locally, they've been (up to recently) a wonderful, tasty, natural casing hot dog. But something has changed with them, where in the past they were plump when cooked, the past few months we've noticed they stay very, very skinny. Not what we look for in a hot dog. So now we are looking to find another brand. But we don't want to start eating those that are made of all the waste carcases of rats and whatever else they usually make hot dogs with, at least we knew the Thuman's were a level above that. Thinking about purchasing Windmill hot dogs, sold in our local Foodtown supermarket. They don't sell the Casper brand that Shelly touts about. Any suggestions for a good one? Yea - I know. We have a special forum on just this subject. Later in the morning I'll move this over. :lol:

mikey

Nah. Just let things ride. Nature has a way of correcting things herself...

Back on topic: The Staggs chili I buy at Costco is not a bad "store bought" canned goods. It has chunks of sirloin and gives quite a kick as it also contains jalepenos. Even Patty likes it - she'll use it to top her hot dogs on occasion.

Which is another direction that is upsetting us. We've always catered to buying the Thuman's all beef hot dogs locally, they've been (up to recently) a wonderful, tasty, natural casing hot dog. But something has changed with them, where in the past they were plump when cooked, the past few months we've noticed they stay very, very skinny. Not what we look for in a hot dog. So now we are looking to find another brand. But we don't want to start eating those that are made of all the waste carcases of rats and whatever else they usually make hot dogs with, at least we knew the Thuman's were a level above that. Thinking about purchasing Windmill hot dogs, sold in our local Foodtown supermarket. They don't sell the Casper brand that Shelly touts about. Any suggestions for a good one? Yea - I know. We have a special forum on just this subject. Later in the morning I'll move this over. :lol:

mikey

Mike have you tried the Hebrew Nationals?

jim

Mike have you tried the Hebrew Nationals?

jim

Yes - they weren't too bad, but I felt they left too much of an "after taste".

Years ago we used to just buy the ballpark, they were very fat, more like a sausage. But today's are terrible, and I don't want to think about what's inside of theirs anymore. What I'm looking for is one of those that have just meat - not all the trash left over after processing the cows and pigs, etc. Aren't there any of those around anymore? Geez...

mike

I'm moving this to our hot dog thread.