Ronald

In search of the perfect Hotdog

So I've been a lurker for about 2 weeks...and finally joined this past weekend. I was enjoying the Hotdog topic and thought I'd share a recipe I've had for many years. I usually only use 2c water as I don't always have time to reduce. If I don't have tomato paste I sub catsup. Sometimes I add pinch of cinnamon. I usually use a large onion. I have doubled, tripled recipe and have also froze it. Great on alot of grilled meats and chicken. I hope you hot dog lovers give it a try. (not sure if it should have been in recipes...if so sorry)

Sabrett's Onion Sauce for Hot Dogs Recipe (CLONE)

1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil

1 medium onion, sliced thin and chopped

4 cups water

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 teaspoons corn syrup

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 cup vinegar

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.

Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft, but not brown.

Add the water, tomato paste, corn syrup, cornstarch, salt, and red pepper flakes, and stir together.

Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.

Add the vinegar and continue simmering for an additiona1 30-45 minutes, or until most of the liquid is reduced and the sauce is thickened.

Makes about 1 cup.

Welcome Gal that sounds like a great sauce at the risk of being to forward or personal what kinda wiener are you puttin that on :lol:

jim

One version of the Hot Dog that is missing in this discussion is the Southern Hotdog. For those of you died in the wool gormet weiner people I'm sorry to tell you that the weiner is not the whole experience. I've had all the great weiners mentioned above and I agree they are very good. The snap, spice, quality of the meat, etc is there without argument. If you're eating a weiner/bun/relish/mustard sandwich you need the weiner to carry the weight. When I think Hotdog, a whole different thing comes to mind however. My vison of a Hotdog is a Southern style hotdog "All the Way". The weiner is only part of this sandwich and is not an overpowering part. This typically has a cheap, hot pink colored Pork weiner from a grill or vat on a steamed bun with a good amount of chili, finely chopped onion, slaw and mustard. The Chili is an all meat, finely ground, chili powder based sauce. No beans. Recipies go back generations and are not shared. The slaw can be be mayo or vinegar dressed and can have small amounts of chopped tomato and pimento included. The cabbage can be coarse, fine or in the case of RO's in Gastonia, NC it can be almost pureed. The best southern Hotdog places have been in business since the 1920's and are too numerous to list. There is at least one in every town. My favorites in North/South Carolina were all founded by Greek immigrants and still run by their grandchildren. Go there at lunch and meet the Mayor, Chief of Police, a few felons, a few preachers and the town drunk.

Welcome Gal that sounds like a great sauce at the risk of being to forward or personal what kinda wiener are you puttin that on :lol:

jim

It's a local wiener made by my meat market(butcher). So it's a "no name". lol Tho they are closed on Sunday and Monday....so I have sometimes resorted to the Hebrew national. Ty for the welcome.

It's a local wiener made by my meat market(butcher). So it's a "no name". lol Tho they are closed on Sunday and Monday....so I have sometimes resorted to the Hebrew national. Ty for the welcome.

I like the Hebrews for a all around Dog I season them with "McCormick's montreal steak" roll them around on the grill and dunk them in BBQ sauce and glaze that for the kids the lean hebrews are killer old school just steam the dog and bun, with your sauce recipe I would find myself reaching for a sweet Hillshire to go with the hot sauce

jim

Hi Ronald,

Delaware was my old stomping ground, though I never made it to the Dog House. For my money, best dogs I ever ate at a dog place was at Deerhead Hotdogs, the one in Wilmington near the old Wilmington HS. Great sauce, and great fries, served up right with old bay and malt vinegar.

This thread caught my interest and having grown up in NJ, I can recall having dogs in several memorable places;

Dickie Dee's in North Ward, Newark...I went to high school for two years there and this place was across from the Public Service bus stop. Italian hot dogs fried with peppers and potatoes on pizza bread. An aquired taste!

Rutt's Hut-Clifton NJ-Another version of the deep fried dog. These are really good.

Eagan'-Belville Pike, North Arlington. Probably closed now.

The Windmill-Long Branch. When I went to Monmouth is was a college not a university and the Long Branch Windmill was their only location.

Mike, I remember a Stewart's Root Beer somewhere on Rte.33 towards Freehold. Is that the one in your picture?

Just thought I would stoke the flame of this thread!

triange - that Stewarts is just north of the Collingswood Circle on Rt 34 North. I also remember when the Windmill was just in Long Branch - we rode up there often for their dogs. I had some for lunch today - I buy them in 8 packs (Windmill) from our Super Foodtown, @ $14-$15 per package. Of course - one dog is so huge I cut them in half and make up two hot dogs for a lunch! Love how they split when ready..

the best hot dog place ever - is http://hotdougs.com/ - unfortunately I just found out this week that it will be closing in October. Boo Hoo. they were featured on Travel Channel, Food Network, and they have the most creative dogs/sausages I have ever eaten. Such a shame that they will be closing. The owner wants to move on to other non-restaurant things. And they have Duck Fat Fries on Fridays - fries fried in duck fat.