Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Savannahsmoker

Traeger and Cold Smoking

We are doing a Traeger Smoked finished in The Big Easy Turkey. I am testing a cold smoke setup at the same time. Traeger smoker with a dryer hose going into my grill. If it works I will take out my old Charbroil barrel smoker and use it as the cold smoke end. Here are some pics.

Image00002-2.jpg

Image00003-2.jpg

Image00004-2.jpg

So far I am maintaining 78 degrees in the cold smoke end. Temperture here is 65 degrees.

Cheese came out very smoky in 1:15 minutes.

Thanks for sharing! Very innovative.

Well, the pics are not being made available in this thread right now but you have it right.

The easiest way to maintain temperatures under 90° in the food chamber for cold smoking is to have the smoke (and heat source to smolder the wood or pellets) outside of the food chamber. Usually in this way, the food chamber temperature is the same as the outdoor temperature. Just keep the sunshine off of it or else the heat rises inside.

I use a 6' tubing which connects my smoke box to the food chamber for cold smoking salmon to make lox. Or it may be 8' but you get the idea.

Shelly

Well, the pics are not being made available in this thread right now but you have it right.

The easiest way to maintain temperatures under 90° in the food chamber for cold smoking is to have the smoke (and heat source to smolder the wood or pellets) outside of the food chamber. Usually in this way, the food chamber temperature is the same as the outdoor temperature. Just keep the sunshine off of it or else the heat rises inside.

I use a 6' tubing which connects my smoke box to the food chamber for cold smoking salmon to make lox. Or it may be 8' but you get the idea.

Shelly

Shelly - you still having trouble with pictures? :)

SS - I did a double take when first viewing the pics. Thought I was seeing some kind of BBQ "still" there, what with all the pipes and tubes! ;) Now you have me thinking of a way to capture the heat coming out of my dryer duct and over to the grill. Hmmm. Maybe not. I don't think anyone wants linty lox... :)

Gotta hand it to you - you are very creative and ingenious with that setup! :) Thanks for sharing - I was quite intrigued with it. By the way - I love the mat in front of your grill, adds nice color to the patio. And I'm sure it helps keep the tile grout joints a bit cleaner for messy cooks (geez - was I there)? :lol:

mikey