Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alex fernandez

30" masterbuilt electric smoker

well, finally got the OK to go ahead and buy the masterbuilt 30" electric smoker for $199. i'll go tomorrow or later tonight and pick it up and do a seasoning and test run on it and see if it produces the proper amount of smoke (fingers crossed).

pics and smoking questions will follow ;)

Bruce,

All I can say is it smokes like crazy during the 275° burn off. It falters when you do a normal 220° smoke. I'm sure the temps in Phoenix have something to do with it, but the day of my big smoke, it was overcast and only 91°. I bought the smoker because I wanted a "set and forget" operation - did not turn out that way. When I called MES CS they said there are several errors in the manual - don't use wet chips, and don't preheat the unit prior to cooking - both are contrary to the owner's manual.

Make sure that the dealer will take it back - smelly and all.

beach

Bruce,

All I can say is it smokes like crazy during the 275° burn off. It falters when you do a normal 220° smoke. I'm sure the temps in Phoenix have something to do with it, but the day of my big smoke, it was overcast and only 91°. I bought the smoker because I wanted a "set and forget" operation - did not turn out that way. When I called MES CS they said there are several errors in the manual - don't use wet chips, and don't preheat the unit prior to cooking - both are contrary to the owner's manual.

Make sure that the dealer will take it back - smelly and all.

beach

it's actually going back before i even use it.

i took it out of the box, and immediately noticed a dent in the door on the base of part of the unit. the black metal part was actually dented in and there was a paint/surface fracture that can't be good for 10hr smokes. the seal on the door where it's riveted was all bumpy and wavy and didn't actually seal the door when it was open (i know it would seal when shut, but that's not the point). it looked like an inferior product to what i expected. perhaps i got a bad one, but with others (you) stating they are having quality control and smoke problems with it, i'll probably just return it and walk away from smokers right now... there were a few other cosmetic imperfections (looked like it was perhaps dropped or on the corner of a pallet) like dings, scrapes, bad riveting job etc.

a quick online check of HD and SEARS, i can get the 18" for $329 and the 22" for $419, still out of my price range, but getting closer. i don't ever recall seeing them on HD.ca, but at least with that, when and if the time comes, i can get it pricematched at sears and save the shipping charges. plus sears is pretty good for returns, or so i've been told.

bummed out....bruce

it's actually going back before i even use it.

i took it out of the box, and immediately noticed a dent in the door on the base of part of the unit. the black metal part was actually dented in and there was a paint/surface fracture that can't be good for 10hr smokes. the seal on the door where it's riveted was all bumpy and wavy and didn't actually seal the door when it was open (i know it would seal when shut, but that's not the point). it looked like an inferior product to what i expected. perhaps i got a bad one, but with others (you) stating they are having quality control and smoke problems with it, i'll probably just return it and walk away from smokers right now... there were a few other cosmetic imperfections (looked like it was perhaps dropped or on the corner of a pallet) like dings, scrapes, bad riveting job etc.

a quick online check of HD and SEARS, i can get the 18" for $329 and the 22" for $419, still out of my price range, but getting closer. i don't ever recall seeing them on HD.ca, but at least with that, when and if the time comes, i can get it pricematched at sears and save the shipping charges. plus sears is pretty good for returns, or so i've been told.

bummed out....bruce

Too bad - I think they used to be a good product. I had no physical damage to the one I bought - it just didn't work! I think in a couple of weeks, I may pull the trigger on a Bradley. I like the idea of a separate heat source for the wood.

beach

Too bad - I think they used to be a good product. I had no physical damage to the one I bought - it just didn't work! I think in a couple of weeks, I may pull the trigger on a Bradley. I like the idea of a separate heat source for the wood.

beach

yeah, like everything else, quality usually goes down hill over the years. hopefully the WSM is still up to the standards it has set and we expect, it appears to be by the rave reviews everywhere.

i think i'll hold out and add the 18" WSM to my xmas list. as nice as the 22" would be to have, i just can't justify the price right now. i'm pretty sure the 18" will be big enough for us (2 adults and 2 small kids)

yeah, like everything else, quality usually goes down hill over the years. hopefully the WSM is still up to the standards it has set and we expect, it appears to be by the rave reviews everywhere.

i think i'll hold out and add the 18" WSM to my xmas list. as nice as the 22" would be to have, i just can't justify the price right now. i'm pretty sure the 18" will be big enough for us (2 adults and 2 small kids)

I had a WSM a number years ago - must have been a lot of years ago, because I can't remember where it went :lol: Never really used it a lot - obviously. I went for the MES cause I wanted something that I could push a button, go do whatever, come back 12 hours later to a fine hunk of meat. Just don't want the hassle of messing with fuel, playing with dampers, etc.

lazy beach

Alex, Brucered,

I got my 30" Masterbuilt last Monday and posted about it here New Toy

I finally had a chance to use it yesterday. My first experience was not a good one. I started with an 8 lb pork butt, brined for 12 hours. I rinsed off the brine and rubbed it down with some good dry rub, put it in the MES at 5 am. Smoke was very hard to generate for reasons I still am not sure of. Soaked some chips for 30 minutes per the instructions, and loaded them in the chip tray. They would start to smoke but the smoker would reach temp and shut the burner off - the chips would stop burning. From then on, nothing would really happen as the burner "on time" was not long enough to keep the chips going.

I tried everything including dry chips. The only way I could get smoke was to raise the set point to 260°, wait for the smoke, then turn back down to 220°. It would smoke for about 10 minutes, then die out. A friend of mine has an MES and says his smokes fine at 220 or less even. However, he did tell me his has a very large temperature swing between on and off cycles - like 20 - 25°. My unit would go between 215 and 220 consistently. I think the burner is not on long enough to keep the chips burning. Because of all my messing around trying to get smoke (opened door several times, etc.) the darn thing took 19 hours to reach 190° internally. It kind of turned out ok - bark was very bitter tasting, but the meat pulled easilt and has good flavor. Going to call MES tomorrow - or if anyone else has experienced this, please speak up!

A few pics - the last one is what the chip tray looked like this morning after last night. I had not added any wood or opened the door for at least 6 hrs, and you can see, there was very little burning of the wood.

5:00 am

post-2295-1278878034_thumb.jpgpost-2295-1278878101_thumb.jpg

12 hour mark

post-2295-1278878139_thumb.jpg

Chip tray

post-2295-1278878166_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the blurry camera phone pics.

bummed beach

I converted my wood fired vertical smoker to propane and it smokes up a storm! The key to mine is the wood chip pan is very close to the burner and the fact that the burner never cycles off...always a small flame going. Now my unit is very large and requires a lot of BTU's to keep it 225 - 250. Some electric units I've experienced have the wood chips almost on top or next the the cal rod, maybe these units smoke better??