Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

richlife

V-Smoker

I haven't tried these, but I stumbled on them at Amazon while looking at gloves. The v-shaped box is designed to fit down between the flavorizor bars instead of on the grates or on top of the flavorizors -- seems a better idea to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-N...ef=pd_sim_ol_18

http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-P...ef=pd_sbs_ol_16

There is also another from Sharper Image available.

Notice that I don't actually think a box is necessary. I've tried a flat box with chips or small chunks and found they weren't as good or as effective as large chunks (say half-fist to fist sized) just set between the front two smoker bars. The box may keep the flavorizors cleaner (?), but otherwise it's just another cost. (And DON'T ever think the box itself will be clean -- not in your wildest dreams!) But to each his own.

Rich :ph34r:

I haven't tried these, but I stumbled on them at Amazon while looking at gloves. The v-shaped box is designed to fit down between the flavorizor bars instead of on the grates or on top of the flavorizors -- seems a better idea to me.

Notice that I don't actually think a box is necessary. I've tried a flat box with chips or small chunks and found they weren't as good or as effective as large chunks (say half-fist to fist sized) just set between the front two smoker bars. The box may keep the flavorizors cleaner (?), but otherwise it's just another cost. (And DON'T ever think the box itself will be clean -- not in your wildest dreams!) But to each his own.

Rich :D

When I do a low and slow, which is when I would want the smoke, I use just a single burner. This v-shaped design would get hot on the burner side it touches while the other side would be much cooler, given the low (200°-250°) in the food chamber. And I'm not sure how much actual contact would be made given the different spacing between flame tamers or flavorizer bars.

The Flavordome that I use has an inverted v shape so it actually sits on top of the flame tamers on my Weber, bringing the heat to both sides. All I know is that it produced tons of smoke, more than I was used to, for an hour. Not a promotion as much as seeing how the shape is diggerent and may work differently.

But all smoker boxes or aluminum pouches or bare wood on the grill will produce smoke. None of the commeercially available smoker boxes are that expensive, really, considering how much we have invested in our grilling supplies.

Shelly

When I do a low and slow, which is when I would want the smoke, I use just a single burner. This v-shaped design would get hot on the burner side it touches while the other side would be much cooler, given the low (200°-250°) in the food chamber. And I'm not sure how much actual contact would be made given the different spacing between flame tamers or flavorizer bars.

The Flavordome that I use has an inverted v shape so it actually sits on top of the flame tamers on my Weber, bringing the heat to both sides. All I know is that it produced tons of smoke, more than I was used to, for an hour. Not a promotion as much as seeing how the shape is diggerent and may work differently.

But all smoker boxes or aluminum pouches or bare wood on the grill will produce smoke. None of the commeercially available smoker boxes are that expensive, really, considering how much we have invested in our grilling supplies.

Shelly

"Inverted-V" -- yeah, I think I'd like that better. Chunks (without a box) work well beside the flame tamer, but I also am unsure how a V-shaped one would be. Anyone have one? Rich

Rich, I've taken the liberty of moving this topic to "BBQ Tools & Accessories" for easier searches. :D mikey

The flavordome. I like the concept. Bet it works well. Wish I though of it, but it's a little too rich for my blood at this time. For now, I'll keep things simple and chunky.

Here's a picture.

Grilling for 20+ later.

Looking forward to it.

Best to all,

elliot

post-8992-1274562077_thumb.jpg

I bought one of the V boxes and I like it. It works great on the front burner. I used it when making ribs on the ribo.

I posted a video for the ribo/......you can see the V box in action LOL

Great song to go along with the ribs billybabe!

You got my first smile today.

Rich :blink:

I just ordered one of these yesterday. I also have a flavordome which I have only used once and it seemed to work well. The only reason that I ordered this is because the flavordome will not fit in my grill with the ribolator. I think this one will fit as I saw it in billybabes pictures. I'll let you know how it works. may be selling the flavordome if this orders well.

I bought one of the V boxes and I like it. It works great on the front burner. I used it when making ribs on the ribo.

I posted a video for the ribo/......you can see the V box in action LOL

Great video, and the ribs look great as well.

I'd been meaning to take a video but haven't even used that feature on my camera as yet.

Shelly

Shelly what kind of camera do you have to take those wonderfully delicious pics?

I'm using a two year old Panasonic FZ 35 that is a bridge camera, sized between a compact and an slr. It has 18x optical zoom (also digital zoom on top of that which I only use to spy on neighbors as I can watch their tv way across the canyon but don't tell them. Also Leica lens and compact in size. And manual over ride for all the auto programs.

I love this camera although the sensor is smaller than a larger slr, it serves my needs with sharp focus in enlargements up to 11x14 which is the largest I have ever gone. It also has great Macro modes even in telephoto. And HD video whihc I have not used as yet.

But for my food shots, I use Aperture priority at f8 as I want everything in focus. I'm not the arty kind of guy who likes just a small part of the food in focus with everything else blurred. And since I use a tripod, I have a 2 second delay so when I press the shutter button, there is no shake. And it doesn't matter how long it takes for the pic as the tripod keeps the camera still.

I use a home made light box with the information provided by Old Grouch way back when, and two pure daylight bulbs in goose neck lamps on either side of the box, which has the sides made from tissue paper. Poster board lines the inside. I also turn on the overhead kitchen tract light.

I set up on the end of the kitchen counter before I cook if I think that the plate is worth taking a picture. So it takes just 30 seconds or so to take the shot and then serve Alice her dinner. Some of the pics are done during the day when I am playing in the kitchen and produce something worthwhile.

Hope this helps.

Shelly

I'm using a two year old Panasonic FZ 35 that is a bridge camera, sized between a compact and an slr. It has 18x optical zoom (also digital zoom on top of that which I only use to spy on neighbors as I can watch their tv way across the canyon but don't tell them. Also Leica lens and compact in size. And manual over ride for all the auto programs.

I love this camera although the sensor is smaller than a larger slr, it serves my needs with sharp focus in enlargements up to 11x14 which is the largest I have ever gone. It also has great Macro modes even in telephoto. And HD video whihc I have not used as yet.

But for my food shots, I use Aperture priority at f8 as I want everything in focus. I'm not the arty kind of guy who likes just a small part of the food in focus with everything else blurred. And since I use a tripod, I have a 2 second delay so when I press the shutter button, there is no shake. And it doesn't matter how long it takes for the pic as the tripod keeps the camera still.

I use a home made light box with the information provided by Old Grouch way back when, and two pure daylight bulbs in goose neck lamps on either side of the box, which has the sides made from tissue paper. Poster board lines the inside. I also turn on the overhead kitchen tract light.

I set up on the end of the kitchen counter before I cook if I think that the plate is worth taking a picture. So it takes just 30 seconds or so to take the shot and then serve Alice her dinner. Some of the pics are done during the day when I am playing in the kitchen and produce something worthwhile.

Hope this helps.

Shelly

I still have a panny FZ-20. Younger cousin to the one that you have. Still takes great pics though.

I have the flavordome and the V-shaped smoker box in the OP. I can't really tell any difference in either one. Both seem to work OK. I just tried adding a wood chuck right onto the flavorizor bar yesterday. I think this is probably the best bet of them all. I didn't soak the chuck like I normally do the chips since I didn't have the time and it started on fire and smoked right away. Not sure the fire was a bad thing. I also had the V shaped box inside and it took 45 minutes to start to smoke and it only smokes when I have the burner set to high or med/high. At low burner settings the smoke boxes in my EP-310 are very weak. I'm going to be trying my wood chucks in the future.

Hi, all:

For those who are using the V-smoker-- did you order the non-stick one or the plain steel V-smoker? Is there a big advantage to having the non-stick surface? Thanks!

Evening guys,

If you put wood chunks directly on the flavorbars, they will usually ignite unless you keep the flavorbar it's resting on at its lowest or close to lowest temperature (~3:00 o'clock). If I'm doing low and slow that's no problem because the surface temperature is nailed at ~225°. If I'm cooking at higher temperatures and want a little wood smoke enhancement, I'd put the chunks on the front burner (on low) and put the back two burners at higher heat levels and cook over those. So far, all's been working out as planned and it's added a new dimension to my BBQing experiences.

Don't know why I've haven't done this years ago. Actually, I do. My old grill didn't have anything like flavorbars or any covers over the burners so it never crossed my mind. Also I never though of elaborating until I started reading through this forum.

Enjoy your improvisations,

They make it even more fun.

elliot

Evening guys,

If you put wood chunks directly on the flavorbars, they will usually ignite unless you keep the flavorbar it's resting on at its lowest or close to lowest temperature (~3:00 o'clock). If I'm doing low and slow that's no problem because the surface temperature is nailed at ~225°. If I'm cooking at higher temperatures and want a little wood smoke enhancement, I'd put the chunks on the front burner (on low) and put the back two burners at higher heat levels and cook over those. So far, all's been working out as planned and it's added a new dimension to my BBQing experiences.

Don't know why I've haven't done this years ago. Actually, I do. My old grill didn't have anything like flavorbars or any covers over the burners so it never crossed my mind. Also I never though of elaborating until I started reading through this forum.

Enjoy your improvisations,

They make it even more fun.

elliot

I'm with you all the way, Elliot! But I can usually set my front burner up to half way between Lo and Med which works well for the chunks. But I also think it depends a lot on the kind of wood and the size of the chunks -- small are more likely to flame. Rich

I tried out the V style box I have on my E-310, posted a bit about it in the weber area, but maybe can get help here.

When I did my test, I soaked the chips as recommended on the bag, and set them between the firebox and the flavorizer . It started to smoke, but then stopped. Turned heat up to get them smoking again, and they just lit up and burned out.

Had better luck with the flat bed smoker box on the flavorizer bars but will try again.

I think one thing to watch for if you get the V style ones is how long they are. Mine is just a hair too long for me to be able to open it up and add chips without having to remove BOTH racks. if it was just a bit shorter, I would have it on one side and just slight the grate as needed.

So keep an eye out for that.

I am going to see about buying some chunks to try out on a pork butt as well as try some other methods with the smoker boxes I have.

What I would really like, and maybe someone has made this already is a proper sized grate that exposes the front flavorizer section and hence the smoker box so I could have a nice row of smoker boxes, heck, maybe even one vbox sized for the Genesis E310, and go from there. That way, always have access to the box.

This may sound like a lot of work but I can get the smoke to penetrate all the way thru my ribs, so its well worth it.

I actually use 3 smoker boxes, two smaller v-shaped smoker that put on the left and on the right and a rectangular box in the middle. I put 2 part soaked hickory chips with one part dry hickory chips in both v-shaped smoker. For the third smoker box I use a rectangular smoker box that sits between the grate and the flavorizer bar. I only put soaked/waterlogged hickory chunks in this smoker box. I place both hickory chips and chunks in a bucket of water the night before. I actually take the time to find the chunks that fit in the rectangular box so that it closes flush(if they don't fit bring them down to size with a hammer a flat head screw driver).

I start off with placing the rectangular smoker box first, in the front and middle and blast the grill, once I see smoke coming out of the grill I place the two v-shaped smokers on each side and let it run hot until the v-shaped boxes begin to smoke. I then turn the temperature down and place on my meat(usually ribs).

They will fit comfortably across the front. It gives you a good balance of slow burning wood(chunks) and quick burning(chips) for a quick initial blast and then a nice slow smolder at 225-250 for 2-4 hours.

Hopefully you find this helpful. I will post pictures next time I cook.

I tried out the V style box I have on my E-310, posted a bit about it in the weber area, but maybe can get help here.

When I did my test, I soaked the chips as recommended on the bag, and set them between the firebox and the flavorizer . It started to smoke, but then stopped. Turned heat up to get them smoking again, and they just lit up and burned out.

Had better luck with the flat bed smoker box on the flavorizer bars but will try again.

I think one thing to watch for if you get the V style ones is how long they are. Mine is just a hair too long for me to be able to open it up and add chips without having to remove BOTH racks. if it was just a bit shorter, I would have it on one side and just slight the grate as needed.

So keep an eye out for that.

I am going to see about buying some chunks to try out on a pork butt as well as try some other methods with the smoker boxes I have.

What I would really like, and maybe someone has made this already is a proper sized grate that exposes the front flavorizer section and hence the smoker box so I could have a nice row of smoker boxes, heck, maybe even one vbox sized for the Genesis E310, and go from there. That way, always have access to the box.

I just made a posting on this thread, it is the one right after yours. Hoepfully it helps.

This may sound like a lot of work but I can get the smoke to penetrate all the way thru my ribs, so its well worth it.

I actually use 3 smoker boxes, two smaller v-shaped smoker that put on the left and on the right and a rectangular box in the middle. I put 2 part soaked hickory chips with one part dry hickory chips in both v-shaped smoker. For the third smoker box I use a rectangular smoker box that sits between the grate and the flavorizer bar. I only put soaked/waterlogged hickory chunks in this smoker box. I place both hickory chips and chunks in a bucket of water the night before. I actually take the time to find the chunks that fit in the rectangular box so that it closes flush(if they don't fit bring them down to size with a hammer a flat head screw driver).

I start off with placing the rectangular smoker box first, in the front and middle and blast the grill, once I see smoke coming out of the grill I place the two v-shaped smokers on each side and let it run hot until the v-shaped boxes begin to smoke. I then turn the temperature down and place on my meat(usually ribs).

They will fit comfortably across the front. It gives you a good balance of slow burning wood(chunks) and quick burning(chips) for a quick initial blast and then a nice slow smolder at 225-250 for 2-4 hours.

Hopefully you find this helpful. I will post pictures next time I cook.

Richard:

Did you ever get a chance to take those pictures please?

Thanks!