richlife

Exterior Grill Cleaning

Exterior Grill Cleaning  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use to clean the exterior of your grill? (You can select multiple items.)

• Spray Wax
    • Barkeeper's Friend (BKF)
    • Noxon 7
    • WD40
    • Soap and water
    • Vinegar and water
    • Windex or other window cleaner
    • A kitchen scouring cleanser
    • I chose more than one of the above
    • Something else (please post what and why)
    • I don't clean my grill
    • I use a grill cover
    • I DON'T use a grill cover

I second the Weiman Stainless Steel cleaner. It is cheap at the HomeDepot and works great on all surfaces. I used it on my Sears lawn tracker this spring and it cleaned up fine and does not appear to be a dirt magnet like some cleaners. I use the spray can and wipe it down with an old bath towel

Ok, I guess with the lack of additional responses, it's time to close this poll -- so I did. I had hoped to get more responders, but despite all the times it seems to come up as a topic...

Anyway, it's clear that Barkeeper's Friend and WD40 are the two most popular cleaners for the exterior of a grill. Soap and water was actually next with a window cleaner back down a ways.

On the question of whether to cover your grill, 13 said they use a cover and 5 said they don't. That left 11 who didn't vote on that item. Again, kind of a surprise for me given the number of posts on the subject.

Anyway, maybe it will offer some help and advice for those interested. Rich

I just got a SS grill but I bought goo gone outdoor for 8.00 at a local store on clearance. it comes with 3 bottles 1 8oz ss grill polish, 1 8 oz ss grill clearner 1 2oz ss restoration cleaner and 1 microfiber towwel. we will see how this stuff works eventually. See pic attached

post-9263-1278120277_thumb.jpg

I just got a SS grill but I bought goo gone outdoor for 8.00 at a local store on clearance. it comes with 3 bottles 1 8oz ss grill polish, 1 8 oz ss grill clearner 1 2oz ss restoration cleaner and 1 microfiber towwel. we will see how this stuff works eventually. See pic attached

Interesting. When you have the chance to find out, let us (and especially me! :unsure: ) know how it does with cleaning those drip stains that can appear on the aluminim firebox. I still find them impervious to anything I use. Rich

I've tried BKF and WD 40 in the past, however I keep going back to a product I use in cleaning my motorhome. Product is call "The Reliable 1". Spray bottle indicates this product has many uses but for M/H and Boat owners its the bomb in cleaning up "black streaks". It has cut through the grease and spots on the lids/covers of all my grills. It even cuts through some creosote buildup on the stacks of my southern yankee. For any Egger's out ceramic cookers out there it works awesome (at least for me) in cleaning your daisy wheel or slider top.

Jeff

This topic has come up a number of times with several alternatives suggested. I found a recommendation from Weber (below) that caused me to restart the debate. Keep in mind that most of our grill exteriors are of three primary materials: stainless steel, porcelain coated steel and cast aluminum (the Genesis firebox). These different materials may benefit from different cleaners, though most of us may use the same thing on all of them.

I found this comment on the Virtual Weber Bullet site which is dedicated to the porcelain coated steel Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker (smoker). The site owner has a close working relationship with Weber. "Weber does not recommend waxing the exterior of the cooker, as this can cause streaks on the finish."

I offer that quote because some members like to use spray wax on their grills. Keep in mind that this quote refers to the black, porcelain coated steel all of which is expected to have constant cooking temps in the 200 - 350* range (or higher at the charcoal basin end). How this would relate to stainless steel hoods or stainless tables or the cast aluminum firebox, I don't know. I personally won't use spray wax on my grill (and especially not on my wood finishes :unsure: ).

Other cleaning methods that have been recommended on the BBQ Source (the ones I remember):

Barkeeper's Friend or Noxon 7: These are both oxalic acid based cleansers and rely at least somewhat on the chemical action of oxalic acid.

WD40: Known to help cut through rust, it also cuts grease and cleans.

Soap and water: I don't know that anything else need be said.

My personal choices are WD40 and also BKF if scouring is needed. I have yet to find anything that will clean the dark grease streaks from the cast aluminum exterior, so if you can help there, please let us know.

Finally, notice that I also snuck in an option for "cover" or "not cover". Please answer that one also since you can select more than one item. Just deal with the grill cover question and don't bother with whether your grill itself is under some sort of patio cover.

Rich

Anyone seen the new stuff ACE is carrying similar to WD40 or Goof Off but made from Soy? Just came across it today in the paper may give it a go.

Interesting. When you have the chance to find out, let us (and especially me! :unsure: ) know how it does with cleaning those drip stains that can appear on the aluminim firebox. I still find them impervious to anything I use. Rich

I will. Just got use it enought to get it dirty first

I picked up GrillStone Grill Cleaning Block at Zellers 30% off. it comes with a handle and a cloth and the block itself. ($7-8 bucks).

It seems to clean my Genesis SS grates really well hot or cold. It seems to work far better than the typical SS wire brush. I haven't used it on the Flavouriser bars yet.

Has anyone else used this product?

Can I use SOS pads on the Flavouriser Bars and SS grate?

I picked up GrillStone Grill Cleaning Block at Zellers 30% off. it comes with a handle and a cloth and the block itself. ($7-8 bucks).

It seems to clean my Genesis SS grates really well hot or cold. It seems to work far better than the typical SS wire brush. I haven't used it on the Flavouriser bars yet.

Has anyone else used this product?

Can I use SOS pads on the Flavouriser Bars and SS grate?

No reason not to. You will not hurt anything but on the flavorizer bars seems over kill. Just scrape the big stuff off is all.

Well, after all this time, I STILL don't see a specific recommendation for cleaning the dark stains on the sides and front of the the aluminum firebox. Searching the Source didn't get me another further.

I'm going to open a new thread on this specific cleaning task and HOPE someone has had success.

Rich

Good luck! Six year (plus all the time before it has been discussed) and I still don't see an answer.