Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shelly

broke out the MES for a smoked chicken

After returning both the Salamangrill and now the Element grill, I have the fever to get a new something to cook on.

I have been researching the Traeger grills as I like the concept and results others have had. But the truth is that Alice really doesn't like smoked meats and I eat them only on occasion unless lightly smoked.

So I realized that I do have a Masterbuilt smoker with digital controls, as well as my Big Green Egg, so why am I looking to spend $1000 for a new smoker? Damn bbq toys always get me. ;)

So I fired up the MES with a full tray full of apple chips and chunks, put a rub under the skin of a 5 1/2 lb. chicken and was ready to go.

I set my remote thermometer to 170° in the middle of the breast. And set the MES to 250°. the cook took just over 2 hours and smoke was still coming from the top vent which I always leave full open.

I put a drip pan under the hen to keep things cleaner.

To accompany the smoked chicken, I made some Zucchini Cottage Puffs, using shredded zucchini, cottage cheese, eggs, and my own seasoned crumbs. I baked them in my big counter top convection oven. Warren pear sauce and fresh white corn completed the meal.

The chicken was extremely juicy and tender with a bit of smoke. I threw out the skin as it always gets rubbery and has too much smoke going on in it.

So I decided that I do not need to buy a Traeger or any other smoker as what I have does really work well. Now to spend the money on something else. :)

Shelly

post-3061-1280458073_thumb.jpg

post-3061-1280458085_thumb.jpg

After returning both the Salamangrill and now the Element grill, I have the fever to get a new something to cook on.

I have been researching the Traeger grills as I like the concept and results others have had. But the truth is that Alice really doesn't like smoked meats and I eat them only on occasion unless lightly smoked.

So I realized that I do have a Masterbuilt smoker with digital controls, as well as my Big Green Egg, so why am I looking to spend $1000 for a new smoker? Damn bbq toys always get me. :)

So I fired up the MES with a full tray full of apple chips and chunks, put a rub under the skin of a 5 1/2 lb. chicken and was ready to go.

I set my remote thermometer to 170° in the middle of the breast. And set the MES to 250°. the cook took just over 2 hours and smoke was still coming from the top vent which I always leave full open.

To accompany the smoked chicken, I made some Zucchini Cottage Puffs, using shredded zucchini, cottage cheese, eggs, and my own seasoned crumbs. I baked them in my big counter top convection oven. Warren pear sauce and fresh white corn completed the meal.

The chicken was extremely juicy and tender with a bit of smoke. I threw out the skin as it always gets rubbery and has too much smoke going on in it.

So I decided that I do not need to buy a Traeger or any other smoker as what I have does really work well. Now to spend the money on something else. :)

Shelly

Shelly I really think at this point you need a nautral fuel smoker, the electric is fun and all but some good ol fashioned BBQ is where you are headed, it wont break the bank and will amaze you on how tasty some Q is cooked with good ol fire and smoke ie. that chicken you smoked should be pink inside, you wont get that out of your MES, hell you cant even get a smoke ring with it, time to step you're game up ;)

smokebob

So I realized that I do have a Masterbuilt smoker with digital controls, as well as my Big Green Egg, so why am I looking to spend $1000 for a new smoker? Damn bbq toys always get me. ;)

Shelly

Thats a good looking bird Shelly