Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cain

Best Grill Surface Thermometer with Reasonable Price

I am looking to pickup some thermometers, and I am looking for a grill surface thermometer so i can check and see the grate temp for steaks as well as low heat cooking too.

I was thinking of the Maverick version, but there are reviews saying its really slow to make the correct reading on amazon.

So, I figure I would ask here. what are people thoughts on one that works well for the money, is durable for searing temps, and gives an accurate reading that doesn't take forever to do.

Also, anyone use Kingsford stuff? I saw there thermometer, looks nice, but I don't know if its just a "name" thing that is getting me interested.

I am looking to pickup some thermometers, and I am looking for a grill surface thermometer so i can check and see the grate temp for steaks as well as low heat cooking too.

I was thinking of the Maverick version, but there are reviews saying its really slow to make the correct reading on amazon.

So, I figure I would ask here. what are people thoughts on one that works well for the money, is durable for searing temps, and gives an accurate reading that doesn't take forever to do.

Also, anyone use Kingsford stuff? I saw there thermometer, looks nice, but I don't know if its just a "name" thing that is getting me interested.

They update about every 5 seconds I think......

for the money the mavericks are a good buy, you could spend a few hundred and go all out but in the 30-50 dollar range the maverick could be one of the best

They update about every 5 seconds I think......

for the money the mavericks are a good buy, you could spend a few hundred and go all out but in the 30-50 dollar range the maverick could be one of the best

I was thinking the same about update time, but looking at reviews on amazon that was a main complaint about the maverick one, wayy too slow update time.

I was thinking the same about update time, but looking at reviews on amazon that was a main complaint about the maverick one, wayy too slow update time.

No thats not true at least not with the 75 or 85, I have never timed it but, seems to be pretty quick, like I said 5 seconds or less, its way faster than cheap analog probes

No thats not true at least not with the 75 or 85, I have never timed it but, seems to be pretty quick, like I said 5 seconds or less, its way faster than cheap analog probes

so can you probe the surface with the electronic ones? the analogs for the surface are what I am curious about

so can you probe the surface with the electronic ones? the analogs for the surface are what I am curious about

Yeah you can get surface temp with the digital, I put my 85's probe in the side of the roast, till the tip hits the center of the roast and I get meat temp and what the roast is seeing externally from the grates, what's nice is the read out is not in the grill/smoker the analog self contained gauge that sits on the rack you can get at the market for 5 bucks, but I have yet to see one, or own one, where the face of the gauge did not cloud up, from being inside the grill/smoker compartment, I would bet some of the nicer Taylor analogs wipe clean and are sealed well enough so they don't cloud on the inside as well, some of the other guys might be able to suggest a good analog brand, but like I said I have yet to see one that wasn't a pain to read over time.

jim