Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccdawg

SS flipper vs. CI grates

I'm new to the forum but have benefited tremendously with all the gems, nuggets and advice...thanks to all!!

I recently purchased a Weber Gen E-310 with porcelain enameled CI grates. All my utensils are SS. Although I use the tongs for most of my needs, I have resorted to using a high temp rubber flipper/spatula when needed (SS handle). My concern is in chipping the enamel off the CI grates. Anyone else had this problem or is it basically a non problem? In looking for a better flipper with high temp resistance, I have found it the options pretty limited

Happy Labor Day!!

post-10228-1283777548_thumb.jpg

I'm new to the forum but have benefited tremendously with all the gems, nuggets and advice...thanks to all!!

I recently purchased a Weber Gen E-310 with porcelain enameled CI grates. All my utensils are SS. Although I use the tongs for most of my needs, I have resorted to using a high temp rubber flipper/spatula when needed (SS handle). My concern is in chipping the enamel off the CI grates. Anyone else had this problem or is it basically a non problem? In looking for a better flipper with high temp resistance, I have found it the options pretty limited

Happy Labor Day!!

Welcome Dawg, I have a old set of the Porcelain grates yours are the new weber design (so I see your concern) they thinned out the coating and changed the formula for that very reason, make sure your SS spatula has a sharp thin beveled edge (most of the good thick ones on the market do, you can also sharpen the edge with a stone for knife sharpening) when you move food come at it at a slight angle dont dig into the grate like the spatula's a chisel and if you take them out to clean don't bang them together, or drop them hard, they should last you a very long time, if they do chip for some reason weber will replace them, providing you dont call and say "I bang them together so the dried stuff will fall off" (some folks actually do that with grates) between the sharp thin edge of the tool and the angle you use, it will be very hard for you to chip those grates, and dont use your spatula to scrape the PC grates as you can with SS or Cast iron, but some folks do with no problem use your grill brush, they should last the life of the grill...........

jim

Welcome Dawg, I have a old set of the Porcelain grates yours are the new weber design (so I see your concern) they thinned out the coating and changed the formula for that very reason, make sure your SS spatula has a sharp thin beveled edge (most of the good thick ones on the market do, you can also sharpen the edge with a stone for knife sharpening) when you move food come at it at a slight angle dont dig into the grate like the spatula's a chisel and if you take them out to clean don't bang them together, or drop them hard, they should last you a very long time, if they do chip for some reason weber will replace them, providing you dont call and say "I bang them together so the dried stuff will fall off" (some folks actually do that with grates) between the sharp thin edge of the tool and the angle you use, it will be very hard for you to chip those grates, and dont use your spatula to scrape the PC grates as you can with SS or Cast iron, but some folks do with no problem use your grill brush, they should last the life of the grill...........

jim

Thanks. It was actually the beveled edge that concerned me, combined with the element of human error of coming in at too much of angle every now and then (usually only an issue, if at all, when I have burgers lined up 3-4 deep). Until now, I just haven't really cared all that much b/c my grates have always been cast iron (no enamel, no Weber, either). And I saw the comment about banging the grates together in another post, but that was one gem I decided to leave alone...grill brush is brass, which was a little more difficult to find that I had anticipated--the lot of them were all cheap and low quality...don't use it too much as I am usually able to burn off most of the previous leftovers.

meant to add i'll go back to the ss spatula--thanks again

meant to add i'll go back to the ss spatula--thanks again

I wouldn't put to much into it Dawg, the new weber grates are not coated like the old thick ones that chip with a 16" of toilet bowl stuck to them. I always found a good edge on my spatula got right between the meat and the grate better than a thick dull edge and allows the meat to release and slid up on the spatula, so I don't have to take several digs at the burger to get it up on the tool and flip it or move it.