Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gunnergirl

Newbie Questions

Hey all-

I just switched out my Bradley for a MES40 and have a couple of questions. I seasoned it yesterday and will do a couple of tests racks today (one baby one kansas style). My questions are about vent position and water? I used to keep my vent fully open. Is it the same with the MES? Also what about water in pan? In the Bradley you have to always have liquid. What are people's opinions and experience with this lovely new smoker that I'm already thrilled with! Also for Christmas I will be smoking a pork shoulder and a whole turkey so any advice is welcome. I've been smoking for about 6-8 months but am a real newbie with the MES. Thanks in advance,

GGirl

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of good advice here. Sorry, I'm not a smoker.

Hey, gunnergirl -- and another welcome. I smoke, but not with the MES. But my "opinion" is to always err on the side of what the instructions say and if they don't say leave the exhaust vent open, then leave the exhaust vent open. :D

There's been a lot of comment here about how trying to control smoking with the exhaust vent and how it can greatly increase the possibility of creosote buildup on your meat or otherwise develop potentially carcinogenic charring. It's the input vents that should be adjusted to control the amount of air and therefore the temp and smoke quality.

I'm sure some MES guy will comment soon, but you may also want to search on "+MES +vent", "+MES +control", "+MES +smoking", etc.

The "+" forces the word to be included in the search.

Rich