Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wulfrunian

BBQ (smoke) in Wilmington NC?

I am will be in the Wilmington NC next month. I can travel around the surrounding area, so can anyone recommend a good place to get some good (smoked) BBQ?

Im interested in a good location also, my folks are in Southport, NC and I will be around in June.

Good luck finding a place out east that still smokes BBQ. It seems the further you go east the more they use gas.

I used to go to Greenville and Goldsboro 2x a week sometimes to Wilmington and I only found 1 place in Wilson that cooked with wood. He's now closed and moved to Raleigh area.

Nope, can't help either. Now "Calabash" style fish... :rolleyes:

Rich

The use of gas (propane or natural) doesn't necessarily mean no smoke. The commercial smokers use "gas" to control the temperatures and use a variety of wood to generate the flavors etc.

We used a Southern Pride smoker for years and gained a good reputation for flavor and quality.

Good luck finding a place out east that still smokes BBQ. It seems the further you go east the more they use gas.

I used to go to Greenville and Goldsboro 2x a week sometimes to Wilmington and I only found 1 place in Wilson that cooked with wood. He's now closed and moved to Raleigh area.

Im going to try the place in Oak Island, it's only a ten minute or so drive from my parents house in St. james. Im heading down in June so looks like you'll get to it first. Il ask my parents if they heard anything good or bad.

Out east the use of Gas and Electric heat just produce bland BBQ. I have ate at many places out there and none of them that use gas use wood too. You might find an old roadside joint that uses wood but the restaurants that I could find mostly gas some like Swans uses electric. It seems like once you pass Lexington region it's all gas and electric no wood.

I have ate some BBQ that used gas and wood that tasted OK but that's just all OK.

Electric/gas smokers with limited smoke and lousy seasoning will produce the crappy products you refer to. Done right all those smokers can produce good product. It's the operators and the selection of ingredients that will either make it good or bad!

Out east the use of Gas and Electric heat just produce bland BBQ. I have ate at many places out there and none of them that use gas use wood too. You might find an old roadside joint that uses wood but the restaurants that I could find mostly gas some like Swans uses electric. It seems like once you pass Lexington region it's all gas and electric no wood.

I have ate some BBQ that used gas and wood that tasted OK but that's just all OK.

Sorry, MotorMouth, I don't agree with this at all (and now -- on the to the NC barbeque wars :ph34r: ). Just because the sauce is different (eastern vs. western) doesn't mean they don't use wood (and pay attention to what Don said, many bbq place use gas for heat control). Allen and Sons near Chapel Hill have the best NC bbq we've had (except my own :P ). And many others exist in the central and eastern part of the state. But they are NOT common on the coast that I know of -- but then I never really looked hard in that area).

Rich

Sorry, MotorMouth, I don't agree with this at all (and now -- on the to the NC barbeque wars :ph34r: ). Just because the sauce is different (eastern vs. western) doesn't mean they don't use wood (and pay attention to what Don said, many bbq place use gas for heat control). Allen and Sons near Chapel Hill have the best NC bbq we've had (except my own :P ). And many others exist in the central and eastern part of the state. But they are NOT common on the coast that I know of -- but then I never really looked hard in that area).

Rich

I was responding to the origal post here. I used to make 2 runs a week for 5 years on the coast. I started my day in Greenville/Goldsboro and then I would cover the area from Moyock, Morehead City to Wilmington. Every place I was able to find didn't use any wood at all except in Wilson. I forget the name of the place but it was the guy Bobby Flay had on his Through Down show in Raleigh. It has nothing to do with the sauce just no one I could find used wood it was either gas ONLY and a couple that used electric. The BBQ not the sauce was bland. To me it's a waste of time and money to buy BBQ cooked with GAS ONLY and especially electric heat BBQ.

Got to agree with DonS. You can get great results on a Southern Pride if you go the distance and I've eaten some great "Q" prepard on them. Its the "cook" not the cooker that produces great "Q".

Locally there is an owner of a couple of restaurants that uses a Southern Prides in the establishment. Obviously this indivdual has skill, competes and wins a fair share of competitions but falls short on the delivery of a good tasting smoked product. Think most folks who go their to eat, go on name alone and then walk away somewhat shocked at the taste. Not a knock on this person its just an example of not going the distance and serving a compromised product.

Jeff

I was responding to the origal post here. I used to make 2 runs a week for 5 years on the coast. I started my day in Greenville/Goldsboro and then I would cover the area from Moyock, Morehead City to Wilmington. Every place I was able to find didn't use any wood at all except in Wilson. I forget the name of the place but it was the guy Bobby Flay had on his Through Down show in Raleigh. It has nothing to do with the sauce just no one I could find used wood it was either gas ONLY and a couple that used electric. The BBQ not the sauce was bland. To me it's a waste of time and money to buy BBQ cooked with GAS ONLY and especially electric heat BBQ.

Actually, we're pretty much in synch (though again, I haven't looked on the coast -- and frankly not even east of Raleigh for MANY years). I was struck by the comment about Lexington being the limit as that is also typically considered the range for western NC bbq. Lots of years ago, we lived in Goldsboro and there was a good place there. Also ate at the place in Wilson and somewhere (may have been anywhere in that area, there was a good place called Wilbur's. People used to stop there on the way from the coast inland -- which may support the lack of coastal bbq. But all that was so long ago it really has no merit any longer.

And while we're at this topic, anyone have any other CURRENT favorite bbq places in NC? As MotorMouth says, we're talking pit-cooked or wood-fired here as opposed to straight gas or electric. Do stop by Allen and Sons (north or south) just outside Chapel Hill (I live a few miles from "south" -- definitely in the "Southern Part of Heaven" which is why the sky is "Carolina Blue").

Rich

Richlife and Motormouth,

Recently went down to the Skylight Inn, in Ayden NC (near Greenville) place and it is pretty good.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/5373/skylight-inn

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I should also have asked about SC. I've never had SC bbq (mustard based sauce) other than what I made myself and would like to try something good. We'll be taking a trip to Columbia next month, so I'll have a chance to do some tasting.

Rich

My guess the reason you don't see many restaurants using wood out east is because of the limited amount of hardwood. In Western NC and into the Piedmont you can find Oak, Hickory and fruit trees everywhere. But in the Sandhills and the coast Pinetrees are the main tree.

Rich ,

I ate at Wilbur's in Goldsboro just past the Semore Johnson AFB exit on US70 that place was OK and they used wood. One place out there had corn sticks I think it was Mitchell's BBQ in Wilson those things were the greatest. I'm typing this and now I remember it was Ed Mitchell that was on Throwdown with Bobby Flay. He built that new building or started that new building and closed down then thrown in jail for Taxes. He opened up another BBQ joint in Raleigh cooking with a partner doing the business side of things.

Two places if your ever out in eastern NC that has the least tasteless BBQ is Smithfield's and Swan's.

My guess the reason you don't see many restaurants using wood out east is because of the limited amount of hardwood. In Western NC and into the Piedmont you can find Oak, Hickory and fruit trees everywhere. But in the Sandhills and the coast Pinetrees are the main tree.

Rich ,

I ate at Wilbur's in Goldsboro just past the Semore Johnson AFB exit on US70 that place was OK and they used wood. One place out there had corn sticks I think it was Mitchell's BBQ in Wilson those things were the greatest. I'm typing this and now I remember it was Ed Mitchell that was on Throwdown with Bobby Flay. He built that new building or started that new building and closed down then thrown in jail for Taxes. He opened up another BBQ joint in Raleigh cooking with a partner doing the business side of things.

Two places if your ever out in eastern NC that has the least tasteless BBQ is Smithfield's and Swan's.

OK, thanks again. I've seen the Smithfield's and Swan's but have never stopped. People not from NC should know that Smithfield is a town about 50 or so miles east of Raleigh. There is a pork processing company that has also taken that name and, from my experience, you can rely of their cuts of pork -- I especially recommend their ribs.

Rich

Say, while on the general topic (if you can call 4 hours away the same topic), do you know of a good bbq place in or near Charlotte (say within the Concord range)? I'm asking for someone else whe get so Charlotte occasionally.

Rich

I should be talking to a couple friends in the Fayetteville area and I'll see if they know of any in Wilmington.

Rich,

My favorite BBQ place around here was Carolina Country BBQ. They used to have one in Hickory but priced themselves out of the area. The restaurant here was 100% wood smoked pit and it was where you could watch them do the work. Everything was cooked in and on that pit. I tried to find some addresses but it seems all of them are closed. If you see one open it is worth a stop. Can't miss the sign it's a hillbilly pig sucking on a straw of hay. In Monroe on US74 East you have Big Bob Gibson BBQ I've never been but I'm planning to check it out one day. I'll ask tomorrow night I should be down there. If not then I know I will be next week.

Yes on the quality pork shoulders from Smithfield. I always get their shoulders when I fix BBQ. But the restaurant has got a long way to go. Going there to get BBQ is like going to Micky D's to get a hamburger.