Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MotorMouth

I got tired of the my old rusted smoker so I made it like new again.

This year before my 4th of July bash I refurbished my smoker. After years of use I thought it was time for a strip down of the inside and outside. I used a pad that attached to my drill it was like a plastic brillo pad. That thing took all the rust off and left a smooth finish. The paint was a new paint I haven't seen before made just for grills that you don't use primer with and it will stop small rust problems from getting bigger. I had some thicker walnut rails and handles made to finish it off. It also made a difference getting all of that old creosote out of the smoker the thing is about 11 or 12 years old it needed cleaning.

Before

post-5080-0-95893400-1310949637_thumb.jpg

After

post-5080-0-81442500-1310949699_thumb.jpg

The best $180 I ever spent. It's not like the newer ones I see in stores now made with thin metal. That sucker is cast iron and very heavy.

Yea - cast iron does the trick! The stamped steel they use today just plain sucks! You did well my friend! Like the woodwork.. :) mikey

It was easy to do. The rust came right off with a disk made of plastic. It surprised me how fast it would strip the old paint and rust with very little effort. The paint was a primer-less paint. That stuff worked great. I even painted a manifold/catalytic converter on my Moms car when it was replaced. It's still black and hasn't cam off.

Extremely nice work, Motormouth!! You should be very proud!

About your photos -- I's suggest you use a photo editor (Microsoft Picture Manager works great) to reduce the size of the pic to "document" size. As is, they are taking a long time to load and then sprawl across a couple of screen sizes to view (scroll needed).

For those who see pics like this and who use Windows, right click on the picture and "Open in a new tab" to see it in a single page.

Rich