Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StoopidMonkey81

What's your favorite store-bought steak marinade?

Hi all,

My GF's mother has a big London Broil in the freezer and I'd like a simple marinade she can toss it in while I'm at work (after defrosting first). What's good (and cheap and easy and not spicy) for that kind of steak? Italian Dressing? Newman's Own? Stubb's Marinade?

Also, how long should a steak less than 1" thick marinate for?

Also also, do certain kinds of marinades not play nice & burn under high heat, or is that not really a concern?

Stoop, I moved your topic to a more appropriate forum. :)

While I myself don't marinade steaks too often, in the past and still on occasion I've used Kikkomans Soy Sauce for a marinade. Works rather well. I've also used Italian Dressing (home made) which also seems to work okay. This I only do with Sirloin - which benefits from the marinade as an aide to keep it more tender. Heavy marbling cuts are better without marinade - though don't try and tell that to many steak houses... B)

Most of my marinade sessions are overnight in the refrigerator, the longer times are more effective.

Any marinade with high sugar content does play a small part with high heat since the caramalizing can burn quickly on high heat. But I can't say that it seems to come into play with marinading as much as just glazing or applying sauce or leftover marinade while actually grilling.

Just a poor man's opinion... :) mikey

Stoop, I moved your topic to a more appropriate forum. :)

While I myself don't marinade steaks too often,

Just a poor man's opinion... :) mikey

Me either Monkey, that london is begging to be tenderized with a fork though, its a fairly tough cut of meat

My guess is if I do that before it's cooked then it won't leak out juices like a sponge?

It aint actually gonna be the juiciest cut on the cow :P

no once you put it on the grates those holes will seal up, you tenderize it so it breaks down a little better, it wont be so chewy, a "london broil" is a term coined in preparing meat and stores call a top round roast a london broil, so basically you have round steak one of the more denser cuts of meat, if those were thin cuts I would beat them to death with a mallet and make chicken fried steak :)

Makes killer jerky too ;)

Allegro's Hot & Spicy marinade. Been using it for years on cuts like flank, flat iron, and skirt, and it's amazing. Not always easy to find though... I even have a friend in Seattle who has bought directly from a distributor because his local stores don't always carry it. It's fantastic with beef, but can over-season poultry pretty quickly. Still, in almost 20 years I've never gotten tired of it!

I see Shoprite carries it - I'll have to check it out. Thnx Grill! :) mikey