Fünfer

Turkey on the Rotisserie?

I have a Genesis E-330. This has 3 main burners, one sear burner---NO IR burner. I would like to rotisserie my turkey, as that was fantastic on my other really crummy grill.

My experience so far is that with absolutely *any* heat under chicken, the skin turns black and has an unappetizing appearance (still good, but not great). So, with a turkey this will be a big, big problem - turkey extends down farther toward burners, would be even more blackened.

So, my plan is to

-center the bird

-put a pan under for drippings

-Use ONLY end burners (rotisserie goes across, burners go front to back)

-perhaps put some wood chips in water above the burners?

-shoot for 375F for 3 hours...?????

Suggestions and critiques please!

Thanks much,

-BTP

Put a cookie sheet over the burners, your objective is to get that 375 (400 is ok) in the chamber, like an oven, the heat that is rising straight off of your burners to give you your hood temp is scorching your bird, you wanna deflect that direct heat (and flame) away from the bird.

What ever you use, sheet tray, cookie sheet or drip pan it has to be bigger than the bird.

If you want the skin to be golden brown stay in that 375 range 325 wont crisp the skin (it will cook the bird though).

I go 400-425 till the skin is golden and crispy then 350ish to finish cooking and it works great

Guest longballumber

Afternoon Gang,

I too will be using my rotisserie to cook a Turkey this year. I would like to confirm a few high points that I’ve read up to this point. FYI I will use my 2010 Weber EP-310 (burners E to W).

I understand why you can’t/shouldn’t “stuff” the Turkey with dense dressing while cooking on the rotisserie, but what are your thoughts about aromatics i.e. orange or lemon slices, onion wedges, fresh herbs?

It sounds as if most of you “brown or crisp” your skin on a higher heat during the first 30 min (or so) of cooking. Are you doing this with all burners then shutting of the center once it’s done to your desired brownness or do you cut off the centers and move to indirect just short of your desired color?

After browning the bird bring the temperature down to 325-350ish for about 3 hours checking temp regularly.

Browning options;

High heat (400+) all burners and no drip pan

High heat (400+) front and back burner and drip pan

Just cook indirect at 325-350 until bird is done.

What are your thought about "injecting" a turkey vs. soaking in a brine?

Later,

Mike

I understand why you can’t/shouldn’t “stuff” the Turkey with dense dressing while cooking on the rotisserie, but what are your thoughts about aromatics i.e. orange or lemon slices, onion wedges, fresh herbs?

It sounds as if most of you “brown or crisp” your skin on a higher heat during the first 30 min (or so) of cooking. Are you doing this with all burners then shutting of the center once it’s done to your desired brownness or do you cut off the centers and move to indirect just short of your desired color?

Later,

Mike

I used aromatics (apple, onion, cinnamon, sage) while spinning the bird.

I browned the bird using the IR burner in the summit with a hood temperature of around 500 (I preheated to 500 using only the main burners before putting the bird on and turning on the IR burner). I then turned the IR burner off after about 20 mintues as the skin was brown and let the temp drop to between 350-375F. 16lbs bird was cooked in 3 hours total.

Afternoon Gang,

I too will be using my rotisserie to cook a Turkey this year. I would like to confirm a few high points that I’ve read up to this point. FYI I will use my 2010 Weber EP-310 (burners E to W).

After browning the bird bring the temperature down to 325-350ish for about 3 hours checking temp regularly.

Browning options;

High heat (400+) all burners and no drip pan

High heat (400+) front and back burner and drip pan

Just cook indirect at 325-350 until bird is done.

Later,

Mike

Id brine over inject

You can put anything in the inside of the bird you want (you're not going to taste it in the meat, unless it perfumes it somehow) under the skin yeah.

400 with a pan larger than the bird on a genny, my grill or a summit is wide enough it wont burn without a pan

brown at 400+ then 350 to finish.

You can put anything in the inside of the bird you want (you're not going to taste it in the meat, unless it perfumes it somehow) under the skin yeah.

I have to disagree. One Thanksgiving guest asked if cinnamon was used (I placed one cinnamon stick in the cavity) and the soup made with the leftover carcass had a strong flavour of the aromatics (to the point that I didn't care for the soup much).

I have to disagree. One Thanksgiving guest asked if cinnamon was used (I placed one cinnamon stick in the cavity) and the soup made with the leftover carcass had a strong flavour of the aromatics (to the point that I didn't care for the soup much).

John, I would agree with that you put the cinnamon inside the carcass, then you made soup out of the carcass, so yeah there's your cinnamon, you boiled the inside of the carcass, but that cinnamon did not penetrate the thick membrane/bone, next time you take breast meat off the bone look how thick it is, season just wont get past it at any temp

When you ate the turkey breast, wings,thighs, legs did you taste cinnamon?

as an experiment i put a cup of cayenne inside a chicken and roasted it, the breast meat closest to the membrane was lacking any taste of the ridiculous amount of pepper I used, nor was the meat even so much as pink or red from it, the heat inside is not hot enough to break down that 1/8-1/4 thick wall of the bird and there's no possible way it could season the legs or thighs

I sure taste all the herbs I use under the skin though, yet never the sage, time, oregano or the like I have stuffed in the bird, if I put all that in the bird it would go nice back in my gravy.

I have seen guys smoke poultry and throw herbs on the fire to flavor the smoke and you can taste it in the meat, but I have yet to taste anything I have put in the cavity of a bird.

check this out it's pretty interesting.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm

respectively

jim

John, I would agree with that you put the cinnamon inside the carcass, then you made soup out of the carcass, so yeah there's your cinnamon, you boiled the inside of the carcass, but that cinnamon did not penetrate the thick membrane/bone, next time you take breast meat off the bone look how thick it is, season just wont get past it at any temp

When you ate the turkey breast, wings,thighs, legs did you taste cinnamon?

Jim, in the soup I tasted the herbs (mostly the sage) which were in the carcass while the turkey was on the grill, but removed before making the soup.

As for the cinnamon, the comment came from someone who didn't know how I prepared the turkey. I think they had turkey breast. Now I'm not sure if they tasted the cinnamon flavour in the meat or if the smell was infused into the meat. I carved the whole turkey in the kitchen before bringing it to the dining table so there is no way that anything in the cavity ended up on someone's plate. Personally the flavour that stood out to me was the herbs.

I'm convinced that brining the bird made made it super moist. As I mentioned before the leftover breast was moister than what I have had in the past when first cooked.

I'm convinced that brining the bird made made it super moist. As I mentioned before the leftover breast was moister than what I have had in the past when first cooked.

Amen to that, brining makes all the difference :)

Happy Turkey day John

jim

I have the Summit S650 and here's what I plan for my rotisserie turkey -

At this very moment (since Sunday evening) our bird is in the refrigerator getting all happy with a dry salt brine.

After about 2 days of this you will see the salt has pulled a lot of moisture out of the turkey. The fluid will be pooled in the bottom of the small bag I have the bird in.

After 3 days - the turkey will re-absorb all of its moisture pulling all of the meat flavoring salt with it. Is the meat salty? Not at all.

Just before going to bed (probably around 11:00 or midnight on Wednesday, I will pull the bird out of the bag. The skin will be moist but not wet. I will rinse the bird to get any excess salt and fluid off of it.

I will place the bird on a plate and put it back in the refrigerator uncovered. This will allow the fan of the refrigerator to dry the skin - this will take about 8 hours to complete. The resulting skin will be a wonderful brown and oh so crisp.

It goes on the grill just like this - no oil - no other seasoning. While the gill is cold, I will center the turkey on the spit so I don't have to mess with it while the heat is on.

Out at the grill -

I place as many water-soaked apple wood chunks as I can stuff into the smoker box and get the cover completely closed.

I remove the center grate and place a disposable aluminum pan directly on the flavor bars. There will never be a lit burner under the pan. I put 2 cans of chicken broth and 2 cans of water in the pan.

I will pre-heat the grill to 400-450 without a flame under the wood chips (I don't want all that good smoke getting used up during the pre-heat). To get to 400-450 I use the single far left and far right burners, the IR burner on med - maybe even med-low.

Now I introduce the bird (carefully - it's hot in there) and put the flame under the wood chips on low. Time to light a cigar, sip a beer and enjoy the smoke (the apple wood and the cigar).

The wood chunks will last about 30 minutes - 45 max. Once the smoke dissipates, I turn off the burner under the smoker box and turn the IR burner to low.

In another half hour, I will peek under the hood to see how the bird looks. I try to have the in-grill temp around 350 at this point. If the bird looks like it has nice color, I will turn the IR off and make up for the lost heat with the left and right burners.

Close the hood and resist peeking for another 60 - 90 minutes depending on how large the bird is.

A 15 pounder takes about 3 hours total.

Keep in mind - this is a plan and it will be tweaked as time, temps and additional beer require.

Good luck and good eating!

At this very moment (since Sunday evening) our bird is in the refrigerator getting all happy with a dry salt brine.

After about 2 days of this you will see the salt has pulled a lot of moisture out of the turkey. The fluid will be pooled in the bottom of the small bag I have the bird in.

After 3 days - the turkey will re-absorb all of its moisture pulling all of the meat flavoring salt with it. Is the meat salty? Not at all.

Just before going to bed (probably around 11:00 or midnight on Wednesday, I will pull the bird out of the bag. The skin will be moist but not wet. I will rinse the bird to get any excess salt and fluid off of it.

I will place the bird on a plate and put it back in the refrigerator uncovered. This will allow the fan of the refrigerator to dry the skin - this will take about 8 hours to complete. The resulting skin will be a wonderful brown and oh so crisp.

It goes on the grill just like this - no oil - no other seasoning. While the gill is cold, I will center the turkey on the spit so I don't have to mess with it while the heat is on.

Out at the grill -

I place as many water-soaked apple wood chunks as I can stuff into the smoker box and get the cover completely closed.

I remove the center grate and place a disposable aluminum pan directly on the flavor bars. There will never be a lit burner under the pan. I put 2 cans of chicken broth and 2 cans of water in the pan.

I will pre-heat the grill to 400-450 without a flame under the wood chips (I don't want all that good smoke getting used up during the pre-heat). To get to 400-450 I use the single far left and far right burners, the IR burner on med - maybe even med-low.

Now I introduce the bird (carefully - it's hot in there) and put the flame under the wood chips on low. Time to light a cigar, sip a beer and enjoy the smoke (the apple wood and the cigar).

The wood chunks will last about 30 minutes - 45 max. Once the smoke dissipates, I turn off the burner under the smoker box and turn the IR burner to low.

In another half hour, I will peek under the hood to see how the bird looks. I try to have the in-grill temp around 350 at this point. If the bird looks like it has nice color, I will turn the IR off and make up for the lost heat with the left and right burners.

Close the hood and resist peeking for another 60 - 90 minutes depending on how large the bird is.

Keep in mind - this is a plan and it will be tweaked as time, temps and additional beer require.

Bravo!!!

Thanks, Jim.

Hey Everyone:

I just want to give a shout out to Jim aka Tubby's Smokehouse.

He's always here contributing what he knows and sharing info and tips.

It wasn't that long ago he was helping me "season" my summit getting it ready for its first real cook.

Thanks for always helping Jim!

Thanks, Jim.

Hey Everyone:

I just want to give a shout out to Jim aka Tubby's Smokehouse.

He's always here contributing what he knows and sharing info and tips.

It wasn't that long ago he was helping me "season" my summit getting it ready for its first real cook.

Thanks for always helping Jim!

Thanks for the high five Saugus.................

Enjoy your Thanksgiving and let us know how that bird comes out, I really like the 3 hour cook time, the faster I can cook poultry the better it comes out (and succulent)

Thanks for the fridge drying tip, I'll give that a shot ;)

jim

This site is wonderful. Thank you everyone for all of your tips.

I'm going to cook a 14lb bird tomorrow using the infrared burner and rotisserie for the first time.

I would have used the the infrared burner the entire time but thanks to this site, it looks like I should only use it during the first part part of the process and then allow indirect heat to finish the job.

The only question I have is... once I turn off the infrared burner when the bird reaches the crispness/color I want.. it won't get darker or crispier/burnt from the remaining time with indirect heat?

This site is wonderful. Thank you everyone for all of your tips.

I'm going to cook a 14lb bird tomorrow using the infrared burner and rotisserie for the first time.

I would have used the the infrared burner the entire time but thanks to this site, it looks like I should only use it during the first part part of the process and then allow indirect heat to finish the job.

The only question I have is... once I turn off the infrared burner when the bird reaches the crispness/color I want.. it won't get darker or crispier/burnt from the remaining time with indirect heat?

At 400 it will continue to brown, 350-325ish and you'll be fine, if you were to use just the IR the bird would blacken long before it came to internal temp, so your right on with your approach......

Happy Thanksgiving!!

jim

Tomorrow is the day. The bird is taking a bath in the brine over night. Thanks for all the suggestions on a good brine.

While the bird is riding the merry-go-round tomorrow I'll be using some wood chunks to get some smoke going. I decided to go with 'plum'. I am really looking forward to dinner. :D

NO Day after pics..? ? Perfect topic. I'm putting my turkey on the grill now. Was going to do it yesterday but the darn thing was still frozen after thawing in the fridge for 3 days.. Good thing we ate at someone else's house yesterday.

Out at the grill -

Sorry it took me almost 2 weeks to get back on the site. Here's an update to the above plan I have laid out a couple days before Thanksgiving -

After 40 minutes my apple chunks had burned off and my smoke had dissipated. The chamber has been in the 450 neighborhood the entire 40 minutes with the IR burner on med.

At this point I lifted the lid and I'm glad I did. Most of the bird was a wonderful golden color - a couple select spots were dark brown.

At this point I turned off the IR and smoker box burners and closed the lid. I adjusted as necessary to keep the chamber in the 340-350 neighborhood.

My plan was to go a total of 3 hours. After a total of 2 hrs and 45 min - I lifted the lid once again. Man, it looked good. My target temp was 165 and I was 7 degrees high at 172. I should have checked after 2 and a half hours instead of 2.75 hours.

I pulled 'er off and let 'er rest for nearly an hour before carving. Now that was one good turkey.

One thing to note: For carving, I remove (best I can) the entire breast in one piece. To serve, I slice in the short direction - across the breast in the opposite direction than I would if it were still attached (hope this makes sense). This makes a big difference in how the meat chews which, in turn, tells your brain the meat is very tender. And gosh darn flavorful! :)

Bumping this to the top to share what I'm doing with my turkey and the rotisserie for Thanksgiving!

I did this last year and a couple weeks after the holiday - I added an update... please read the update I included at the bottom of this post.

Out at the grill -

Sorry it took me almost 2 weeks to get back on the site. Here's an update to the above plan I have laid out a couple days before Thanksgiving -

After 40 minutes my apple chunks had burned off and my smoke had dissipated. The chamber has been in the 450 neighborhood the entire 40 minutes with the IR burner on med.

At this point I lifted the lid and I'm glad I did. Most of the bird was a wonderful golden color - a couple select spots were dark brown.

At this point I turned off the IR and smoker box burners and closed the lid. I adjusted as necessary to keep the chamber in the 340-350 neighborhood.

My plan was to go a total of 3 hours. After a total of 2 hrs and 45 min - I lifted the lid once again. Man, it looked good. My target temp was 165 and I was 7 degrees high at 172. I should have checked after 2 and a half hours instead of 2.75 hours.

I pulled 'er off and let 'er rest for nearly an hour before carving. Now that was one good turkey.

One thing to note: For carving, I remove (best I can) the entire breast in one piece. To serve, I slice in the short direction - across the breast in the opposite direction than I would if it were still attached (hope this makes sense). This makes a big difference in how the meat chews which, in turn, tells your brain the meat is very tender. And gosh darn flavorful! :)