Fünfer

Turkey on the Rotisserie?

Where do you live? Looks like a pretty good snow fall going on there

I posted this a few years back but I keep going back to it - it makes for a good turkey on the Roto -

Bumping this to the top to share what I'm doing with my turkey and the rotisserie for Thanksgiving!
I did this last year and a couple weeks after the holiday - I added an update... please read the update I included at the bottom of this post.

Bumping this to the top to share what I'm doing with my turkey and the rotisserie for Thanksgiving!

I did this last year and a couple weeks after the holiday - I added an update... please read the update I included at the bottom of this post.

Sorry it took me almost 2 weeks to get back on the site. Here's an update to the above plan I have laid out a couple days before Thanksgiving -

After 40 minutes my apple chunks had burned off and my smoke had dissipated. The chamber has been in the 450 neighborhood the entire 40 minutes with the IR burner on med.

At this point I lifted the lid and I'm glad I did. Most of the bird was a wonderful golden color - a couple select spots were dark brown.

At this point I turned off the IR and smoker box burners and closed the lid. I adjusted as necessary to keep the chamber in the 340-350 neighborhood.

My plan was to go a total of 3 hours. After a total of 2 hrs and 45 min - I lifted the lid once again. Man, it looked good. My target temp was 165 and I was 7 degrees high at 172. I should have checked after 2 and a half hours instead of 2.75 hours.

I pulled 'er off and let 'er rest for nearly an hour before carving. Now that was one good turkey.

One thing to note: For carving, I remove (best I can) the entire breast in one piece. To serve, I slice in the short direction - across the breast in the opposite direction than I would if it were still attached (hope this makes sense). This makes a big difference in how the meat chews which, in turn, tells your brain the meat is very tender. And gosh darn flavorful! smile.gif