Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MotorMouth

My first grilled pizzas

I'm putting the Primo to good use this weekend while I'm home. I used Pillsbury pizza dough, homemade sauce, pepperoni, sweet Italian sausage, peppers and onions. I was only able to get 3 pictures because they were eat so fast. It was a hit with everyone. It's a different taste and not what I expected. I will be doing some more with a few changes. I learned the thin pepperoni and cheese can be done quick but the thicker topping pizza need to be done slower and lower. I gave up trying to make round pizzas.

post-5080-0-90758300-1323477332_thumb.jpg

post-5080-0-91024200-1323477257_thumb.jpg

post-5080-0-64708000-1323477287_thumb.jpg

I'm putting the Primo to good use this weekend while I'm home. I used Pillsbury pizza dough, homemade sauce, pepperoni, sweet Italian sausage, peppers and onions. I was only able to get 3 pictures because they were eat so fast. It was a hit with everyone. It's a different taste and not what I expected. I will be doing some more with a few changes. I learned the thin pepperoni and cheese can be done quick but the thicker topping pizza need to be done slower and lower. I gave up trying to make round pizzas.

Very Nice Motor, what did you think of the pillsbury dough?

My wife bought some and I made a stromboli for lunch with it, I thought it was a little "bready" almost like a biscuit dough.

Looks like you made most of it fresh from scratch, for a more traditional dough go check out this site http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

You can make any kind you want real easy, new york, pan, thin

If you're going to make the leap, a fresh airy dough to your liking is real easy (ask Vindii) and I do it all the time too

Oh and I docked you zero points for it not being round :D

Oh and I docked you zero points for it not being round :D

I have found doing that to be a near impossibility! Part of the problem for me is counter space. Have tons of it in the beach house kitchen and not so much in the primary house kitchen. I have had good success with the Trader Joe's dough. I think it's $.99. Not a huge fan of the wheat and flavored ones but the plain works great.

Pie looks great to me. Once you make your own dough you wont want to order out pizza again. That primo is awesome.

Round pies are overrated. They all taste the same. My best tip for round pies is to start with a round dough ball. They normally flatten out a bit while warming up. To start shaping just push the round ball in the center to start to flatten it out. Keep doing this evenly all the way around. Dont try to pick it up. It will just ruin the shape. Only grab and edge to slide it onto the peel.

Nice work.

Pie looks great to me. Once you make your own dough you wont want to order out pizza again. That primo is awesome.

Round pies are overrated. They all taste the same. My best tip for round pies is to start with a round dough ball. They normally flatten out a bit while warming up. To start shaping just push the round ball in the center to start to flatten it out. Keep doing this evenly all the way around. Dont try to pick it up. It will just ruin the shape. Only grab and edge to slide it onto the peel.

Nice work.

I'm with Vindii, shape is irrelevant, and fresh dough is easy and makes all the difference, first time I made it and got it right, I was amazed how simple it was to make, it's nice to have a powerful mixer, but doing it by hand works awesome also.

A few things i've learned is don't roll it out with a rolling pin unless your going for super thin "cracker" type crust, hand tossing/manipulation keeps the air in the dough.

If you sprinkle a little corn meal on your pizza peel, the pie will slide right off onto your stone.

If you stuff the edges with cheese try and crimp them down good so the dough there doesn't rise and open up when it's baking.

If you are a fan of Pan Pizza (like I am) Use a pin and roll the dough out real thin, then brush a little olive oil on it and fold it over, and do it again a few times and when it cooks it will be light and airy and thick (just like you're making "Puff Pastry") it won't be thick and doughy like pan pies can be.

+1 on that Primo being a killer grill ;)

jim

Enthusiast - you will make your first pizza and then wonder why you never tried it before. You will be HOOKED for life! Grilled pizza RULES!

mikey

Very Nice Motor, what did you think of the pillsbury dough?

Going back to this question, I think this dough is very good. I have yet to try making my own (time, time, time -- can barely get to the grill), but this has good flavor. The following is what works for me using Pillsbury Thin Crust Pizza Dough.

I have a large 16 x 18" stone. With a good spread of corn meal down, I roll out the dough and then use a rolling pin to thin it more and fill the stone (be SURE the pin has corn meal). Then pierce all over with a fork. Finally, build the pizza. Turn the grill on and heat the stone and pizza together to 500+. This has worked well even with really heavily loaded pizzas. I usually turn the stone around once as on corner may get done a little faster. It's certainly not a cracker crust (my preference), but it makes a great tasting pizza and has mad it hard for me to push off and try my own crust.

This dough has worked well for me for calzones too, but I agree, jim, it was a little bready for stromboli. On the calsones, the technique is the same -- just pile up on one end, fold the other half over and seal the edges. Worked fine and tasted great.

I found I couldn't work the dough (trying to fit my round stonge). After kneading into a ball it was too elastic and wouldn't spread.

Rich