Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Don S

Garden Predator

9 posts in this topic

For those of you with multiple hobbies here's one for you garden pond folks. This lousy heron lives in the area. I put a couple of blue gills in the pond last year to keep the mosquito population down

Well------see what happened last night! All while I watched on my computer. I figured he couldn't get any of the big guys but I guess his/her vision is pretty good.

Yikes! You set him up for a real smorgsboard buffet! Can't help but feel for that poor bluegill! :(

mikey

Very cool video!

The big grey dirty bird continues to harass my little fishies. This time he leaves a slimy surprise. Can't remember how to embed video so link will have to do for now, sorry!

Don, it appears you have 18 minutes of video missing in the middle. ;) Herongate! B)

Okay, first he's off to the right and nothing sitting on the platform. Then, suddenly, he and a pile of dooey appear on the platform, with the missing 18 minutes of video. Then he jumps in the water, does who knows what and flies off with NO koi in his mouth. Hmmmm. I'd really like to see those 18 missing minutes. I think we need a Congressional Hearing over this! :D

You need to think about a netting over that pond! You're setting them up to be sitting ducks koi! :(

mike

Well, sooner or later someone would lose their cool. Found out tonight that a resident in our neighborhood got p'oed because our local heron got a couple of koi his grandchildren had put in his pond!

From what I understand, he shot at the bird with a shotgun, got turned in and received two citations. One for firing a gun inside the city limits and one for shooting a "protected bird". Bird was supposedly still alive and taken for treatment! If it dies he's in for a min $10K fine and 6 months in jail. At the very least he's looking at $25K in fines and legal fees. Hope the bird makes it! $25K wouldl buy a lot of baby koi ;)

Sad. I cannot fathom anyone that would inflict harm (or death) on a heron. While I feel bad for the koi - that's the fault of the guy that leaves his fish exposed as an easy meal for birds or animals such as raccoons, who also enjoy koi.. I can understand his frustration, but not to the point of using a shotgun. Sigh..

mike

Don

Did the neighbor come to you for half since he did you a favor :lol:

All kidding aside he never heard of a BB gun

A shotgun is a little extreme

What does he do for deer

I'm not sure what he was thinking! Can't find an "official" report of the incident but will keep looking.

I bought a BB Gun to scare him/her off but it didn't seem to be much of a deterrent :angry:

Don

Did the neighbor come to you for half since he did you a favor :lol:

All kidding aside he never heard of a BB gun

A shotgun is a little extreme

What does he do for deer