richlife

Presenting my New EP-330

Jimbo - GULP! Yea, gimme some o' dat der decaf! I did misread - I read your post too quickly and took it to mean liquids got so hot they bubbled over and messed around the burner. Don't ask me how I got that - I've just re-read your post and am now sittin' here scratching my head...:wacko: Not the caffeine - just a lack of sleep!

Now, just so I can clarify the last sentence of your most recent post - are you implying you have a, well, shall we say "abundant amount of insulation" in your arse - so it doesn't burn you? B) B) B)

Okay - I'm gonna leave work, grab a bite for dinner and get me some shut eye! Then, maybe come back here later a bit more cognizant and alert - maybe even understand some stuff correctly! :)

A sheepish and properly admonished mikey

Yer Hilarious when you're at the shop 16 hours Mike :D

Get some rest buddy so you don't grind, sand, saw, plain or otherwise harm yourself with a power tool B)

But I am sure that wont happen cause after about I think the 20 year mark of being a craftsman/tradesman, you can actually use a skillsaw accurately blind folded ;)

jimbee

Okay, back again. (More pics in this post.)

I want to belatedly thank ALL of you who have contributed comments and congrats. I AM having a ball with this new grill and your thoughts go a long way to make that even better.

So Dave: I THINK this is a 2012 but not sure where I got that. Serial number is an "AU" but I don't remember where to look that up.

Good point about the basically two position sear burner control -- definitely a difference. And also the comment about the fast boil side burner is well taken. I'll look into the options that Mike and Jim brought up.

Also, I put my wood chunks in the "stainless" chip tray (now almost corroded away) over the right burner tonight and had really good success with it. Of course, I had it on high most of the time. I think I'll try your suggestion for better control. Also, it would help remove the heat absorption I saw (or at least allow me to compensate for it). Here's a pic of tonight stromboli. See how the smoke comes nicely off the chunks on the right? Also, look closely and you can see the red glow of the flametamers -- especially the middle one. The glow was much brighter, but it didn't come through in the pic. post-8639-0-53316800-1336012112_thumb.jpg

Vindii: I doesn't look so new inside anymore...

Mike: The control knob for the side burner is about 4" from the edge of the burner grate, but the edge of the grate is also only a little over 2" from the firebox. So I think the largest diameter pan I could use would be about 12". (Right, Dave?) But that would still be plenty to put under a smaller pot to dissipate heat as Jim says. I don't THINK the LOW flame would travel outside that pan.

I can't flip the grate over -- its built with two longer legs to one side which fit into holes in the burner base to stabilize the whole thing. But putting an additional grate or ring over that to raise a pot should be possible.

I'm thinking smaller than 5 gallon pots would be a good thing on that side burner. :unsure:

Had your decaf yet? :blink:

jimbo: Bite your tongue! Cut my brand new grates! Try me again in a few years. :D

And a big thumbs up to your seasoning! I can't wait until, like my E-310, this grill has that lingering aroma that just makes walking by a pleasure.

I really already am beginning to get a feel for the versatility of this 330. The older E/W model was a wonderful cooker, but it definitely took some "extra" to get a meal worked out. With the 330, I've already just been able to put part of the meal aside where the burner is off. Also, I found tonight that I can more easily adjust temps from side-to-side (obvious, right) whereas front to back could be a little awkward -- especially with the gasket causing heat to flow to the back. I couldn't get the gasket today, but real soon. You can see here how the smoke from tonight's cook just came out all around the grill. post-8639-0-48256900-1336012212_thumb.jpg

Having the storage under the grill is helpful since it's my main storage. Here's a pic of the open cabinet with some wire racks all loaded up. There's extra stuff piled up on the bottom because my grill cabinet is still waiting for hinges. Most of that and more will get stored there (on the wall behind where I stand to man the grill). Mostly what I'll have on the bottom of this storage is bags of wood chunks (they're in the plastic grocery bags). post-8639-0-17992100-1336012447_thumb.jpg

One other comment -- today at Lowe's I saw a new model E-310. It does NOT have those "ribs" up the sides of the cabinet. Either that's and EP thing or it's just that special Lowe's edition.

Rich

Wow Rich everything you said I just kinda blew by, when I clicked on the pic and saw that bright red grill against the back drop of those gorgeous trees. looks like Christmas!!! in May

Glad you like the new toy, having had a older genny I thought the side to side burners required a little less thought to plan a meal on as well ;)

Hot damn, that shot of the red on green is just gorgeous! So beautiful!

I can more easily adjust temps from side-to-side (obvious, right) whereas front to back could be a little awkward -- especially with the gasket causing heat to flow to the back. I couldn't get the gasket today, but real soon. You can see here how the smoke from tonight's cook just came out all around the grill.

I would really use it a bit more before you go gasketing it up. I know you do a lot more smoking than I do, but I've learned recently that making the smoke stay in the hood longer than is natural is not always a desirable thing. It's gotta keep flowing or you'll end up with sooty creosote. I'm sure you're probably aware of that issue, though.

... so really... smoked stromboli? I like smoke flavor but that seems an odd thing to use wood on.

Wow, you really filled up those two lower compartments, Rich! Lotta stuff for sure! I see a can of the trusty ol' WD40! But what's the 4" spackling knife for? Scraping out the cooking compartment?

That' red/green shot looks like Xmas!

I gotta get more sleep. I looked at improv's post and thought I read "stroked" stromboli. WTH? B) Yup! I'm going back to bed for another hour!

mike

Hot damn, that shot of the red on green is just gorgeous! So beautiful!

I would really use it a bit more before you go gasketing it up. I know you do a lot more smoking than I do, but I've learned recently that making the smoke stay in the hood longer than is natural is not always a desirable thing. It's gotta keep flowing or you'll end up with sooty creosote. I'm sure you're probably aware of that issue, though.

... so really... smoked stromboli? I like smoke flavor but that seems an odd thing to use wood on.

Thanks for the comments, guys -- I knew there was a reason that I liked the red. Green was another favorite, but now I think it would have been washed out a bit with all my surrounding greenery. Copper was nice, but Sheila and I agreed it was way to close to the color of my deck -- similar issue. It's jimtastic to impress Jim since he's just so jaded and all. ;)

Dave, actually, I haven't found the gasket to be an issue so long as I don't OVERDO the smoke -- I find fewer chunks are better for most things depending on the wood (easy to overdo oak). As for the stromboli, I just think almost everything is better over a wood fire than a gas fire. And let me tell you, those were some fine stromboli! Not smoked, just wood-fired. But that's good advice -- I may hold off to see how it goes.

Mike, I'll be glad when my cabinet is ready to eliminate some of the hodge-podge. And, no I don't normally use the steel putty knife (I need to put it back in the shed). But I did use it to better clean the inside of the firebox of my E-310 for craigslist pictures. On a used grill, I figured it was better to show a prospective buyer a cleaned used interior but not a built-up interior.

And going back the the question of the side burner which all of you commented about. The recess around the grate is 11" square. Bigger than my largest skillet, but smaller than my 5 gallon pot. There is a SS ridge heat protector between the orifice and the controls -- probably best not to go beyond that. So I guess I won't try to boil 4 gallons on it. That's what my not-used-for-many-years propane kettle cooker is for.

Rich

It's jimtastic to impress Jim since he's just so jaded and all. ;)

Rich

Oh I was serious as a heart attack Rich as I'm sure the other guys are, that red against the beautiful trees is breathtaking!

Brainstorming..............................Ok this holiday season, let your beard grow out, rent a Santa Suit, put some reindeer ears on the pooch, snap a pic of you and the grill and the dog with that backdrop and send out Christmas cards :lol:

jimbee

"Merry Xmas all and to all a goodnight".

from Rich's Xmas Wonderland.. B):P:D

If I ever do get a Weber - it will most assuredly be the red.! Greenery in the background notwithstanding! ;) I agree with jimbee (not sure if it's bumblebeejim or carpenterbeejim) - the red is stunning! :)

mikey

Oh I was serious as a heart attack Rich as I'm sure the other guys are, that red against the beautiful trees is breathtaking!

Brainstorming..............................Ok this holiday season, let your beard grow out, rent a Santa Suit, put some reindeer ears on the pooch, snap a pic of you and the grill and the dog with that backdrop and send out Christmas cards :lol:

jimbee

:D :D :D

But I think you're right -- it would work! Except Dante doesn't do reindeer horns -- we tried. <_<

Help me, guys -- I can't help myself! Once I start I can't stop. Despite not planning to grill today, I just couldn't let the opportunity go by, so I put on some cajun smoked almonds to see how this thing does with low temps. Very, very nicely! Much better than my E-310 and I was really pleased with that. I found that putting just the left and right burners on HI gets to 400* at least as fast as the old E-310 with all three burners and reached at least 450* before I backed off and set them to LOW. That still left me at about 325+, so I turned the left off (leaving the right on LO for smoke) which got me a steady temp of 280* and a really nice constant smoking. Then I moved the wood chunks over to the left side and got the same with that burner on LOW.

You may remember that Dave said that 1) he uses the sear burner for smoking and 2) that the sear burner has only two marked positions HI and LO (unlike the three mains which have HI-MED-LOW). Well, LOW gets the same temp (280*) for the sear burner also despite it being rated at lower BTUs. It seems that the main controls are just more sensitive, but the range (at least the LO) is the same for all -- maybe the HI is lower for the sear burner -- another day.

Now I do agree with Dave, that sear burner is perfect for generating low and slow smoke temps. Some of you will remember that two years ago I did a low and slow of my first pork butt on my Genny (before I bought the WSM -- in fact, my reason for getting the smoker was easier control for the long smokes). Seeing this result with smoking wood chunks on the 330, makes me want to do my next pork butt on it. I'll have to replenish the wood every hour or so, but the temp control appears like it will be easy. (What can I say, I'm inquisitive by nature.)

And jimbo, after thinking about it and not being in the throes of fatigue, I think I understand better what you meant about cutting the grate in half. That does have a lot of merit, especially for a cook like I'm talking about with the pork butt. I can't see that it would do any harm and it could obviously be used on the right or left sides (or both even). I still don't think that is an immediate mod, but it's certainly something to consider. (I mean, look what I did to my WSM and all it does is keep becoming more and more usable for more things.)

Rich

Rich

:D :D :D

But I think you're right -- it would work! Except Dante doesn't do reindeer horns -- we tried. <_<

Help me, guys -- I can't help myself! Once I start I can't stop. Despite not planning to grill today, I just couldn't let the opportunity go by, so I put on some cajun smoked almonds to see how this thing does with low temps. Very, very nicely! Much better than my E-310 and I was really pleased with that. I found that putting just the left and right burners on HI gets to 400* at least as fast as the old E-310 with all three burners and reached at least 450* before I backed off and set them to LOW. That still left me at about 325+, so I turned the left off (leaving the right on LO for smoke) which got me a steady temp of 280* and a really nice constant smoking. Then I moved the wood chunks over to the left side and got the same with that burner on LOW.

You may remember that Dave said that 1) he uses the sear burner for smoking and 2) that the sear burner has only two marked positions HI and LO (unlike the three mains which have HI-MED-LOW). Well, LOW gets the same temp (280*) for the sear burner also despite it being rated at lower BTUs. It seems that the main controls are just more sensitive, but the range (at least the LO) is the same for all -- maybe the HI is lower for the sear burner -- another day.

Now I do agree with Dave, that sear burner is perfect for generating low and slow smoke temps. Some of you will remember that two years ago I did a low and slow of my first pork butt on my Genny (before I bought the WSM -- in fact, my reason for getting the smoker was easier control for the long smokes). Seeing this result with smoking wood chunks on the 330, makes me want to do my next pork butt on it. I'll have to replenish the wood every hour or so, but the temp control appears like it will be easy. (What can I say, I'm inquisitive by nature.)

And jimbo, after thinking about it and not being in the throes of fatigue, I think I understand better what you meant about cutting the grate in half. That does have a lot of merit, especially for a cook like I'm talking about with the pork butt. I can't see that it would do any harm and it could obviously be used on the right or left sides (or both even). I still don't think that is an immediate mod, but it's certainly something to consider. (I mean, look what I did to my WSM and all it does is keep becoming more and more usable for more things.)

Rich

Rich

I dont see how it could hurt Rich my smoker has 4-8 inch wide grates, my ducane has 3-12" wide grates. as long as they are on something stable you should be ok. I was just thinking ease of getting to those wood chunks. without disrupting the whole cook, you could also buy some cheap wire home depot rack and cut it to fit to expose the burner and chunk tray and take the good genny half grate out at those times

just a thought

jim

I dont see how it could hurt Rich my smoker has 4-8 inch wide grates, my ducane has 3-12" wide grates. as long as they are on something stable you should be ok. I was just thinking ease of getting to those wood chunks. without disrupting the whole cook, you could also buy some cheap wire home depot rack and cut it to fit to expose the burner and chunk tray and take the good genny half grate out at those times

just a thought

jim

You're right jim. That's what you had led me to thinking also. Except I don't know that there's a need for the cheap grate (though maybe). Either I could just remove the half grate as needed (most cooks that wouldn't be an issue) or even leave it off if I don't need all the space for grilling. If I was using the sear burner for like steak, I don't know that I would have the wood in that area anyway -- might be too hot. So I could have the chunks at the other end.

Lots of stuff to experiment with. You were certainly right about the versatility. And, btw, after today's session with smoke, I now officially like this grill with absolute certainty better than my old E/W Genny (may she live long and prosper). I'm really amazed at MUCH I like this grill. Great decision although I would really not have been hurt if I had kept the other one. At least until I had done some cooking on someone else's 330! B):lol: :lol:

Rich

You're right jim. That's what you had led me to thinking also. Except I don't know that there's a need for the cheap grate (though maybe). Either I could just remove the half grate as needed (most cooks that wouldn't be an issue) or even leave it off if I don't need all the space for grilling. If I was using the sear burner for like steak, I don't know that I would have the wood in that area anyway -- might be too hot. So I could have the chunks at the other end.

Lots of stuff to experiment with. You were certainly right about the versatility. And, btw, after today's session with smoke, I now officially like this grill with absolute certainty better than my old E/W Genny (may she live long and prosper). I'm really amazed at MUCH I like this grill. Great decision although I would really not have been hurt if I had kept the other one. At least until I had done some cooking on someone else's 330! B):lol: :lol:

Rich

Congrats on the new grill!

These new genny's do indeed sound like real winners. Weber definitely hit one out of the park with these new models.

Not gonna upgrade to one of the new models as I'm very happy with my 2010 EP320 and I REALLY like the E/W burner configuration for rotisserie cooking (you really can't beat it for this purpose). Not gonna need to upgrade to a new grill for about another 10 years anyway since our two boys are ages 4 1/2 and 2, respectively. When the time does come to upgrade, I may very well get one of the 470 Summit grills with the IR Roto burner and the built-in rotisserie system.

Now if Weber adds another model to the Genesis line with a roto burner (they could call it the E/EP 340), that would be VERY HARD to pass up!

Congrats on the new grill!

These new genny's do indeed sound like real winners. Weber definitely hit one out of the park with these new models.

Not gonna upgrade to one of the new models as I'm very happy with my 2010 EP320 and I REALLY like the E/W burner configuration for rotisserie cooking (you really can't beat it for this purpose). Not gonna need to upgrade to a new grill for about another 10 years anyway since our two boys are ages 4 1/2 and 2, respectively. When the time does come to upgrade, I may very well get one of the 470 Summit grills with the IR Roto burner and the built-in rotisserie system.

Now if Weber adds another model to the Genesis line with a roto burner (they could call it the E/EP 340), that would be VERY HARD to pass up!

Thanks, Brian. I really don't blame you for not changing. You already have the top of the line before the upgrades and the benefits of E/W. I do really believe that the new one is more efficient, but whether that would ever pay for a change depends on how often you grill. I know that the folks who bought my E-310 and learning the joys of it as we both did.

Your proposed E/EP 340 sounds fascinating -- maybe a note to Weber? But then, you would still be looking a the change to N/S. Though, believe me, you CAN get over it. :D

Frankly I agree about one of the x70 Summits -- but a touch (or three) more than I can justify -- even to myself. :P But given an open budget... B)

I did some delightful teriyaki chicken this evening (that makes 4 straight nights). Also made a trip to my butcher today. On tap for tomorrow is some nice 1 1/2 inch tenderloins. NOW we'll get to see that sear burner in action! Hopefully I'll remember the pictures. <_<

I also picked up a 3 1/2 lb. tri-tip which I'm anxious to try out. And about 4 lbs of pork belly so I can finally try out Vindii's treatment for bacon. (At least I think it was Vindii -- will be looking it up.) That, of course, will be a WSM project.

Rich

Rich

Thanks, Brian. I really don't blame you for not changing. You already have the top of the line before the upgrades and the benefits of E/W. I do really believe that the new one is more efficient, but whether that would ever pay for a change depends on how often you grill. I know that the folks who bought my E-310 and learning the joys of it as we both did.

Your proposed E/EP 340 sounds fascinating -- maybe a note to Weber? But then, you would still be looking a the change to N/S. Though, believe me, you CAN get over it. :D

Frankly I agree about one of the x70 Summits -- but a touch (or three) more than I can justify -- even to myself. :P But given an open budget... B)

I did some delightful teriyaki chicken this evening (that makes 4 straight nights). Also made a trip to my butcher today. On tap for tomorrow is some nice 1 1/2 inch tenderloins. NOW we'll get to see that sear burner in action! Hopefully I'll remember the pictures. <_<

I also picked up a 3 1/2 lb. tri-tip which I'm anxious to try out. And about 4 lbs of pork belly so I can finally try out Vindii's treatment for bacon. (At least I think it was Vindii -- will be looking it up.) That, of course, will be a WSM project.

Rich

The grill I had before getting the Genesis in 2010 was a 5 burner Brinkmann from HD so going back to N/S would be pretty easy. With that grill it was just about impossible to cook chicken breasts on it without them drying out. That's not a problem with the Genesis :)

Tri-tips are awesome! Love those cuts of beef. They're great smoked. You should try one in the WSM. The nice thing about them is that they require only a fraction of the cooking time that a brisket requires. About 2 hours at around 250 or so is usually enough.

Doing pork chops on the OTG tonight along with a rotisserie pineapple on the Genesis. Tomorrow is marinated skirt steak and roasted anaheim chiles stuffed with monterey jack cheese.

The grill I had before getting the Genesis in 2010 was a 5 burner Brinkmann from HD so going back to N/S would be pretty easy. With that grill it was just about impossible to cook chicken breasts on it without them drying out. That's not a problem with the Genesis :)

Tri-tips are awesome! Love those cuts of beef. They're great smoked. You should try one in the WSM. The nice thing about them is that they require only a fraction of the cooking time that a brisket requires. About 2 hours at around 250 or so is usually enough.

Doing pork chops on the OTG tonight along with a rotisserie pineapple on the Genesis. Tomorrow is marinated skirt steak and roasted anaheim chiles stuffed with monterey jack cheese.

First of all, you just made me real d--n hungry! :P

I know about that Brinkmann (mine was a 4 burner). I can't believe I ever thought it was a quality grill!

As far as the chicken, yes on both counts -- Brinkmann and Genesis. The teriyaki chicken I did on my 330 was amazing and juicy even though it was boneless/skinless. My wife thinks I've reached the epitome on chicken -- but I know better. :D

And yes, I'll probably do the tri-tip on the WSM. So much to grill/smoke, so very little time.

Rich

My wife thinks I've reached the epitome on chicken -- but I know better. :D

Rich

Yeah my wife says the same thing ;)

I have found out overtime it's really just a ploy to make me do all the cooking :lol:

jim

Yeah my wife says the same thing ;)

I have found out overtime it's really just a ploy to make me do all the cooking :lol:

jim

Yeah, it figures. I think I'm in for a lot of that. :lol: :lol:

I think these probably round out the trying out of the new grill -- all the rest is just same old, same old. :P

The other evening, I did some smoked Cajun almonds (280*) and added some Friday's frozen quesadilla rolls. The almonds were fine and the rolls the best I've been able to do with them, but Sheila and I both agree that my quesadillas are MUCH better and really easier to prepare.

post-8639-0-44163500-1336332060_thumb.jpg

Then yesterday, the final piece de resistance! The great tenderloins from my butcher. That sear station is awesome! At 1 1/2" these were about 3 min. per side and came out a perfect medium rare.

post-8639-0-39884400-1336332183_thumb.jpg

So now it's time to retire the grill... :D :D :DB)

Rich

Yeah, it figures. I think I'm in for a lot of that. :lol: :lol:

Rich

Yes sir according to my wife I'm the best cook this side of the Mississippi, ask my daughter though and she'll say eeew I don't like that, I want McDonalds

Great Looking Steaks Rich! I never thought to smoke almonds, I have smoked kosher salt though ;)

I think with your view I would gladly do all the cooking, when I grill I have a beautiful view of a stucco wall with a window and door in it :(

I have been thinking of getting a longer NG line and turning my grill around so I can at least see the pool, grass and desert shrubbery :D

jim

Yes sir according to my wife I'm the best cook this side of the Mississippi, ask my daughter though and she'll say eeew I don't like that, I want McDonalds

Great Looking Steaks Rich! I never thought to smoke almonds, I have smoked kosher salt though ;)

I think with your view I would gladly do all the cooking, when I grill I have a beautiful view of a stucco wall with a window and door in it :(

I have been thinking of getting a longer NG line and turning my grill around so I can at least see the pool, grass and desert shrubbery :D

jim

Truth be told, jim. I'm one of those people who must have there back to a wall rather than an open space. I think it comes from reading too much James Bond when I was a teenager -- really.

Rich