richlife

Presenting my New EP-330

Well just when I thought I had pretty much done all I can do with this EP-330 (without getting repetitive) a couple of new things came up. For one, I didn't grill yesterday ;) . My daughter's 40th birthday celebration.

And today I decided to smoke a set of spare ribs on my WSM. So what does that have to do with the 330? -- lots. First I set my chimney on the side burner, turned it on high, turned around twice and said "alacazam" and the charcoal was going on it's own. Damn! Nice! It used to take me that long just top get canola oil on a wadded paper towel! First success.

Later on I was working on a bbq sauce. Set the pot on my 10 cast iron skillet (thanks for the tips, guys) and watched to see what happened. Oops, starting to boil, not simmer. I happen to have a couple of 2 1/2" SS rings that came from my old hammock when it died years ago. I couldn't see why I kept them, but -- you know... Anyway, I thought to put those rings (3/8" thick) on the skillet under the pot and -- whaddaya know! Simmer!! I love it.

So two uses of my side burner in one day.

Rich

I used my side burner yesterday to boil my cornell chicken marinade to use as a mop. Very convenient, and the reduction from the high heat was a plus rather than a detriment. Made it easier to mop. The results:

j1z5l.jpg

Doncha love it?! I suppose one day it will all just seem so NORMAL, but I can look back at this and see just what an improvement it is to have a 330.

Thanks for your posts about your own, Dave. They were a big part of my deciding to try to sell my E-310. Once it was gone... well, what choice did I have? :blink:

Rich

I used my side burner yesterday to boil my cornell chicken marinade to use as a mop. Very convenient, and the reduction from the high heat was a plus rather than a detriment. Made it easier to mop. The results:

j1z5l.jpg

Beautiful Dave, can I have a drizzle of the sauce please :)

Saucy,

jim

jim can have the sauce - just pass me one of those cutlets! Hey, when are you guys gonna send me your contributions for a new camera? Loving Dave's shots for sure! :)

mike

Yeah, it figures. I think I'm in for a lot of that. :lol: :lol:

I think these probably round out the trying out of the new grill -- all the rest is just same old, same old. :P

The other evening, I did some smoked Cajun almonds (280*) and added some Friday's frozen quesadilla rolls. The almonds were fine and the rolls the best I've been able to do with them, but Sheila and I both agree that my quesadillas are MUCH better and really easier to prepare.

post-8639-0-44163500-1336332060_thumb.jpg

Then yesterday, the final piece de resistance! The great tenderloins from my butcher. That sear station is awesome! At 1 1/2" these were about 3 min. per side and came out a perfect medium rare.

post-8639-0-39884400-1336332183_thumb.jpg

So now it's time to retire the grill... :D :D :DB)

Rich

Tenderloins look delicious!!

When you do potatoes like that do you just brush them with a little olive oil and how long do they take? I am always looking for different ways to grill spuds and my wife loves em.

Tenderloins look delicious!!

When you do potatoes like that do you just brush them with a little olive oil and how long do they take? I am always looking for different ways to grill spuds and my wife loves em.

Greg, I got that potato idea from the Virtual Weber Bullet Board. It actually is a horrible recipe that uses BUTTER over the cut potato. The cuts are made by putting the potato between two thin cutting boards (to keep the cut from going through), soak in water to minimize excess starch, and then spread with butter, salt, pepper between the leaves. Grill like any baked potato. (ok, I'm equivocating here -- I blew it and the potatoes didn't get done :( ) Try at medium-hi for about 20-30 min. They should "squeeze" nicely with tongs.

They are really good (what do you expect with butter).

Naturally, you can also fake them as you please with whatever you want. Frankly, I really blew these -- not only didn't cook them long enough (I was focusing on the steak) but forgot the salt and pepper. AND I meant to sprinkle with smoked paprika, but completely forgot.

Rich

Greg, I got that potato idea from the Virtual Weber Bullet Board. It actually is a horrible recipe that uses BUTTER over the cut potato. The cuts are made by putting the potato between two thin cutting boards (to keep the cut from going through), soak in water to minimize excess starch, and then spread with butter, salt, pepper between the leaves. Grill like any baked potato. (ok, I'm equivocating here -- I blew it and the potatoes didn't get done :( ) Try at medium-hi for about 20-30 min. They should "squeeze" nicely with tongs.

Naturally, you can also fake them as you please with whatever you want. Frankly, I really blew these -- not only didn't cook them long enough (I was focusing on the steak) but forgot the salt and pepper. AND I meant to sprinkle with smoked paprika, but completely forgot.

Rich

Rich the water also helps them from turning purple on you, I honestly have not ever tried "grilling" one, I put them on a sheet pan at 475 in the grill to make them crunchy and tender, its more like 45 minutes though, the paprika sounds good, I use a season called "21 salute" from trader joes, not even sure what's in it, I know there's no salt though, the wife and kids call them "mojo's" to me its a damm potato wedge :D great with reduced catsup and a steak

Rich

Butter… All the better, Thanks Rich!!

I believe it is known in the industry as a "hasselback" potato because that's the name of the hotel where the style was invented. I use chopsticks when cutting mine to avoid cutting through the whole way, and I nuke them for 5 minutes or so before grilling or roasting. Rinsing after cutting is key, though, or else it will just glue itself back together again when cooking.

I believe it is known in the industry as a "hasselback" potato because that's the name of the hotel where the style was invented. I use chopsticks when cutting mine to avoid cutting through the whole way, and I nuke them for 5 minutes or so before grilling or roasting. Rinsing after cutting is key, though, or else it will just glue itself back together again when cooking.

Thank, Dave. You're right. Now the guy on TVWBB from whom I got the recipe/procedure was from Sweden. ;) All good. The Nuke idea is a very good one. Otherwise, jim I think you're more right about the time than I was. That's why I got partially cooked potato.

Rich

Just curious, how is this grill holding up?

The fire box on the Ducane 4400 has rusted out again, and is unsafe to use. I don't want to spend more money to have this happen again, so I ordered this grill today.