Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

richlife

Special Mothers Day Thrills

10 posts in this topic

Well, lots of good things on Mothers Day! Can you find the new feature in my grill space? No,not the grill.

post-8639-0-16817800-1337008418_thumb.jpg

After delaying the cook of a small standing rib (only 2 ribs, but 5 lbs!) for months because other things were in demand (brisket, pizza, new grill, etc.), the day finally came to prepare this roast. I spent a lot of time trying to find a recipe/technique for cooking it (Sheila bought the roast and was adamant she didn't want me to smoke it :( ), I ended up deciding that, given the new 330, it would do it what I thought was best. It may be typical, but I after searching dozens of websites, I didn't find one that specified a grill sear followed by slower cook at medium heat.

So I thawed the roast for three days in the fridge, let it warm at room temp for two hours and bound it with butchers twine to push into a more round shape. Then applied a mix of a little Worcestershire and lemon juice in a couple tablespoons of EVOO and sprinkled it heavily with Montreal Steak seasoning all over. While the roast was warming, I cleaned marinated a couple heads of broccoli in a 1/2 & 1/2 Worcestershire and EVOO. These were heated for a minute in the microwave to ensure they would grill properly. Then starting with a recipe for a "hobo pack" I found with one rib roast recipe I found on AARP, I modified it extensively to come up with this for 3 people:

Hobo Pack (wrapped in foil and heated 40 - 45 min on the grill -- could be place right down on coals if wrapped multiple times)

3 large baking potatoes cut in sixths

8 gloves of garlic halved

18 - 20 pearl onions

18 - 20 button mushrooms

8 - 10 baby carrots

2 Tbs. sage powder (or chopped fresh sage)

1 Tbs. EVOO

1 tsp. Worcestershire

The potatoes, garlic, EVOO and sage were the original recipe. I wrapped all this in 24x24" sheat of heavy duty foil carefully crimping all edges together. Then covered with another sheet of foil to contain any leakage.

Wish I thought to get pics before, but this what it looked like while grilling. Notice the wood chunks (cherry) on the flametamers below.

post-8639-0-69561800-1337010312_thumb.jpg

But first, I took the bun warmer off the grill to have open grate space. Then I heated the grill with all burners to 650* (or could be just really hot to get good searing). At that point, turned off the right-most burner and dropped the rib roast on it's side (no fat) and seared for 2 minutes. Then turned over to the other side for 90 seconds (first roast sear -- I was concerned for over-doing it), then on the fattier top side for one minute. I could have left it for 2 minutes on all sides, BUT... I was also concerned for burning through the butchers twine -- I should have soaked it before tying. One strand did burn through, but two held up though heavily charred. After the searing, I moved the roast to the right side and turned off all burners except the left most set to around Med. The roast was bone down with one side toward the heat. Also, stuck a Maverick probe in the heart of the roast. Damn! Still only 48* after two hours on the counter! Big roast! When the roast got to 90*, I turned it so the other side would be heated.

I fidgeted a little with the left and sear burner controls to keep the temp at a constant near 350* after the original sear. (Sometime in there, the twine did split, but the roast was shaped by then). The dogs were fascinate through the whole cook. "Man, I know there is something good up there!"

post-8639-0-89074500-1337011283_thumb.jpg

The roast took ABOUT 1 1/2 hours to get to 125* internal . Then I removed it. The hobo pack and broccoli was added on the bun warmer (now added) about 30 minutes from when I expect the roast to finish. The broccoli came off early, was covered and allowed to stay warm. The hobo pack stayed on until the roast had rested about 20 minutes. Then I set all in servers and fortunately Sheila started taking pictures. This is my Mom all ready to go.

post-8639-0-45648000-1337011302_thumb.jpg

Then I finally made the first cut -- a perfect medium rare under that nice sear. But definitely could have done a longer sear on the opposite and top sides.

post-8639-0-73141000-1337011993_thumb.jpg

Everything was delightful. Mom and Sheila were happy and I learned a lot.

I'll do another post here about that new feature... :P

Rich

Ok, I assume by now anyone reading is bored but wondering "what new feature?". I've been working on and off for more than a year on a new cabinet for my grill space. Someplace to store commonly used items other than the larger implements that are now under the grill. And I've never liked the way the Genesis tries to hang tools off the ends of the side tables -- not convenient and always in the way. So I designed a cabinet for my purposes. For people like Mikey, it's all in black walnut and "features" sapwood. The top is "shingles" of the same wood with a slightly darker stain. All the stain is TWP (Total Wood Preservative) which is a penetrating oil for decks with a mildew retardant.

You may be able to see the through tenons for case top and sides. The fixed dividers (vertical and horizontal) are in with sliding dovetails.

post-8639-0-19811300-1337012607_thumb.jpg post-8639-0-98350500-1337012620_thumb.jpg

Rich

Very nice Rich, i'll bet that was tasty :)

And here I thought it was the Lowes bucket!:lol:

Ok, I assume by now anyone reading is bored but wondering "what new feature?". I've been working on and off for more than a year on a new cabinet for my grill space. Someplace to store commonly used items other than the larger implements that are now under the grill. And I've never liked the way the Genesis tries to hang tools off the ends of the side tables -- not convenient and always in the way. So I designed a cabinet for my purposes. For people like Mikey, it's all in black walnut and "features" sapwood. The top is "shingles" of the same wood with a slightly darker stain. All the stain is TWP (Total Wood Preservative) which is a penetrating oil for decks with a mildew retardant.

You may be able to see the through tenons for case top and sides. The fixed dividers (vertical and horizontal) are in with sliding dovetails.

P1070370 Grill Cabinet.JPG P1070371 Grill Cabinet Open.JPG

Rich

And I thought it was the beer can crusher hanging on the wall! :)

Rich - cabinet looks great! Nice simple style that fits well into your grilling environment! Few would appreciate the construction - but I say kudos! I'd be a little worried the doors might cup without bats though. Speaking of bats - it kinda looks like a bat house - watch out, they may come a running! ;)

As to the roast - well, that speaks for itself! Most deliciosis roast I've seen in a bit, and you've got my mouth watering over it! I also like your table settings, very tasteful without any fanfare. Mom looks great - I bet she really enjoys dining at your house!

Nice post - loved taking the time to check it out as well as the great photos. The backdrops for all are just perfect!

So, can I be any more of a fanboy?..... ;)

A very impressed mikey

And I thought it was the beer can crusher hanging on the wall! :)

Rich - cabinet looks great! Nice simple style that fits well into your grilling environment! Few would appreciate the construction - but I say kudos! I'd be a little worried the doors might cup without bats though. Speaking of bats - it kinda looks like a bat house - watch out, they may come a running! ;)

As to the roast - well, that speaks for itself! Most deliciosis roast I've seen in a bit, and you've got my mouth watering over it! I also like your table settings, very tasteful without any fanfare. Mom looks great - I bet she really enjoys dining at your house!

Nice post - loved taking the time to check it out as well as the great photos. The backdrops for all are just perfect!

So, can I be any more of a fanboy?..... ;)

A very impressed mikey

Thanks for the many kind words, Mike. And yes, I agree -- somewhat concerned for the viability of the doors as is. But I figured take a shot and the worst I can do is have to rebuild them -- with bats. And again you're right. I may have our bats flocking (or whatever they do) in. They love the open space surrounded by all the trees around our deck.

Rich

Great job on the cabinet Rich!!

The roast looks mighty tasty!! I am going to do one on my rotisserie sometime.

Great job on the cabinet Rich!!

The roast looks mighty tasty!! I am going to do one on my rotisserie sometime.

Greg, a rotisserie was actually my first thought even though I don't have one. But then I read to never drive a rod through a roast like this as it will heat up and overcook the center. But maybe you have one of those new-fangled rotisserie machines....

Rich

Greg, a rotisserie was actually my first thought even though I don't have one. But then I read to never drive a rod through a roast like this as it will heat up and overcook the center. But maybe you have one of those new-fangled rotisserie machines....

Rich

I Never had the rod overcook a roast Rich

You have a beer can crusher? you lucky dawg :D

I have had one off a rotisserie at a friend's house and it was excellent.