Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Grill Guy

Wire Brush Bristles

I suppose most here have seen the recent reports of wire bristles from grill brushes coming off and then sticking to food that was grilled and then... ending up in someone's throat or stomach. It's just a reminder to make sure and use high quality utensils and it makes sense to wipe down your grilling surface with a wet cloth after scrubbing with a bristle brush.

Link to News Story

Always a good reminder, Barry.

And also the reminder in the article that our grilled foods have long been known as a carcinogen. (I'm so sick of THAT topic -- please take my comment with the sarcasm intended. ;) )

Now that I have SS grates, I'm using a SS brush. I noticed that Grill Daddy (incidentally the maker of the brush I have) says they have no reports. I wonder how many would report that anyway.

But my real question here, is whether anyone has noticed SS brush bristles falling out onto their grill. When I was using a brass brush (both on the grill and in my shop), bristles coming loose was common. Since using the SS (only in the past three months), I haven't seen any loose SS bristles.

Rich

I must say I have never seen this happen either with my brass or SS brushes. Anything is possible I guess. I guess one precaution would be to use Steven Raichlin's advice and always wipe the grill down with an oiling cloth after brushing.