underthehood

Mod for Older Genesis Grills

Hey Rich and others who have been watching about my mod(s) (I did this mod to my Spirit 500 and my Summit). I got some nice fatty sausage on the genesis and was able to get some flare up under the burners. Mind you I had to REALLY "push" the limits to make this happen. However despite still not cleaning the grease funnel (I really am ashamed at how dirty it is but science MUST prevail ;)) the flames did not go in to the grease tray/funnel area. Instead it was just excess fats burning off the deflectors and the flame was VERY minor. Kinda like what you might see coming off the flavorizer bars only from underneath the burners. There was no bad smells or anything like when the grease tray catches it just burned off the deflectors.

I am so totally amazed at how this simple cheap mod is working (that's why all my grills have it now) including my dad's and even my ham fisted relatives have not been able to ruin a meal on his grill since the mod :P

If anyone wants photos of the Summit and Spirit mods PM me I will be happy to send. So far all I can say is this has elevated really good grills in to outstanding performers.............really

hey guys,

Coincidentally, I'm writing this as you posted your last entry.

FINALLY, received the correct vaporizer bars from amazon last night. Haven't had the chance to cook with them installed yet but after firing it up, the surface temp seemed higher just holding my hand over the grating. I have a feeling the overall temps as an oven won't change that much, but at the immediate surface level of the grating the temperature would be more intense. Removing the two flavorizer bars that are not over the burners might increase it even more so. Lots to play with. Thanks Hood for the initiative. I will keep in touch,

Be well, do something fun over the weekend.

Elliot

Elliot I would not recommend to anyone cooking with uncovered burners. Two things. Burner is unprotected so can be damaged and or clogged by drippings. Also the "tents" even out heat dispersion and spread the heating out better.

I can't wait for you to report your results. The real test will be when you have a dirty grease funnel and drippings get real hot drop down there and poof you have a fire. When I actually do remove mine and clean it I will grab a photo and show everyone how bad I have let it get. Believe me I know from past experience I would have total infernos by this time if I had let it go like this before the mod.

Thanks for the updates, Mr. Hood :lol: . I bet if Weber just paid attention, they could make a good profit off of selling "upgrade" heat reflectors for their older grills.

And I'm with you about not cooking over uncovered burners. On my older Genesis, I tried leaving the two flame tamers out that didn't have a burner underneath (and with some success, elliot), but with the new Genny it's just not necessary and on the 330 only one flavorizer DOESN'T have a burner below. But an interesting thought -- leaving out that one bar might help balance the heat with all 4 burners going. I might try that sometime if I feel I need more balance -- it's not even been a thought before now as it heats evenly even with the offset sear burner running.

Rich

I can see where Hoods mod would be excellent for getting more heat to rise, that open space below the gennys burners is pretty substantial, I bet if Hood were to put a temp gauge on plain with his grease funnel without his mod, then with it there would about a 100 degree temp swing leaving the bottom of the grill.

Like Hood and Rich I would never let sauces drip on a lit or unlit burner, thats one of the few ways to prematurely ruin an otherwise good burner.

I can see another great mod for those Tamers Hood found, I would take a few and bend them tighter, (shorten their width, raise the pitch) however you see it, and put it over my burners so that when on high flames actually protrude out the sides of the tamers, so I could flame/char broil burgers and steaks, my ducanes tamers are slotted at the outer edges, you dont need the grill to be 1000 degrees then because your food is being kissed by fire :)

I wouldn't go bending up my factory parts though

post-6248-0-85749200-1347813158_thumb.jpg

Never thought about actually measuring the temps. I may actually (thanks to a vacation day) get to cleaning that grease funnel today. I did a bunch of chicken thighs last night so I am quite sure that thing is a mess. I will take photos and post. But rest assured knowing my grill if I had normally let it go this long I would have melted the box and burned the deck down by now. Especially "pushing" it the way I have been doing. The temperature "efficiency" difference (at the grates) is real but not drastic. I do find though that many times cooking on 3 burners low direct is not "low" enough. So I have been going down to "indirect" more times. I think I may actually drop my jet size a tiny bit. I have some blanks I can use and maybe drop my BTU from the 36k size down to say 32k or so. (i.e 10.5 per burner as opposed to 12k per burner). Oddly I have not even cooked on my Summit yet since the deflectors were installed. Maybe rack of lamb on that tonite? ;) I have been enjoying that Genesis so much more now the Summit has kinda been on the "back burner" :)

... I have been enjoying that Genesis so much more now the Summit has kinda been on the "back burner" :)

What a sad state of affairs! :lol: :lol:

Rich

post-8321-0-98433300-1347910589_thumb.jpgpost-8321-0-39545500-1347910581_thumb.jpgpost-8321-0-54021500-1347910571_thumb.jpgOK as promised here are full photos of the internals. Please don't laugh or scold me :rolleyes: I have left it this way in the name of science :D

For clarity I have removed the flavorizer bars so it is very obvious how well the shields/deflectors have protected the grease tray from becoming a total inferno. Again this has not been touched since before I installed the deflectors. So believe me by now had they not been there this thing would not have quit burning until it went clear through to Chinapost-8321-0-72194000-1347910555_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps with anyone who may be sitting on the fence about doing this. the photos should speak for themselves.

I was already convinced, but these pictures really show it. If I still had my older Genesis, there would be no hesitation.

Rich

I'm verifying that this is certainly a worthwhile investment. I too have had only beneficial results. Well almost. Before installing them, when low and slowing, my lowest temperature allowing me to maintain a steady stream of smoke was 225-250. After I put the reflectors in, the lowest temp I could achieve, while maintaining the smoke, is 250-275. So the same flame level is ~25 degrees higher. I certainly didn't use my scientific training when smoking my latest brisket to obtain these observations, but the applied scientific results were evident. It shows that the temperature efficiency has increased in the cook box slightly. The temperatures mentioned above were using the hood thermometer which reads virtually identical to the oven thermometer resting on the second level grate withing the cookbox. Also, these temps were obtained by using just the front burner at ~4 o'clock on the dial with the lowest being 3 o'clock.

As I mentioned previously, the heat at the regular grilling surface seems more intense using the "hold your hand there" testing thermometer. I also stated that perhaps removing the flavoriser bars might increase it even more. I was referring to the two bars that aren't protecting a burner. One I've already flipped over as a cradle to put my wood into for smoking. Works pretty well.

Well, so far, it's been a big plus for myself and I appreciate your incite Hood. I wish I could contribute more besides just finding a lasting glue for the gasket material and adding shelves to the inside of the cabinet. I guess the ultimate Nobel prize modification for the Genny would be a solution that would remove those drip lines on the outside of the cookbox. But alas, that achievement rests in the minds of greater chemists than myself. I only went as far as organic.

Be well people, and enjoy the week.

elliot

Well, so far, it's been a big plus for myself and I appreciate your incite Hood. I wish I could contribute more besides just finding a lasting glue for the gasket material and adding shelves to the inside of the cabinet. I guess the ultimate Nobel prize modification for the Genny would be a solution that would remove those drip lines on the outside of the cookbox. But alas, that achievement rests in the minds greater chemists than myself. I only went as far as organic.

Be well people, and enjoy the week.

elliot

Geez, elliot -- now you want to be everything to everybody? :D:P I for one tremendously appreciate you finding that gasket cement! And your continuing contributions to discussions. I would be great if all the readers, lurkers, etc. contributed as much.

And double ditto to the "ultimate Nobel prize modification". I haven't seen anyone post a real solution.

Rich

Hello to all,

I'm a new member here and really excited!! I will implement Hoods mod by making custom SS heat deflectors for my 2007 Spirit E-310 at my local fabricator.

Should I do it out of 1/12" or 1/8" thick SS? Any suggestions are very welcome.

Also can someone point me to the "gasket mod" cause I haven't been able to locate it.

Welcome, GregM! -- And are you ever in luck! I found the right search terms "gasket mod richlife" and found what may be the best pics I have of that mod and the right high temp glue. I've looked several times, but this time was gold.

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=8028&hl=%2Bgasket+%2Bmod+%2Brichlife#entry73906

Again, use caution in applying both the gasket mod and hood's heat deflectors. Be sure NOT to block the rear exhaust and check the effect of the mods carefully at lower temps. Weber designed these grills as is for perfectly good reasons.

So I got my custom heat reflectors and can't wait to test them!

So, do I use laa 5 flavourizer bars or just the three sitting above the burners?

post-28924-0-14073500-1472215402_thumb.jpg post-28924-0-95464500-1472215620_thumb.jpg

post-28924-0-26347900-1472215434_thumb.jpg post-28924-0-36617200-1472215737_thumb.jpg

Thanks hood. Tested today with 4 juicy beef burgers. Really amazed at the performance improvement and at the fact that I had zero flareups even though I had all burnes on half. Not even with hood open. So thank you for sharing this mod!!!