Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seantheman

Meet Press

Was looking into grill or a meat press. Are they really unnecessary? Are they really functional ? I see them range from 5.95 up to $100 + dollars. They come in stainless, Cast Iron, etc.

Meat Press

I cook on a Weber charcoal grill.

Was looking into grill or a meat press. Are they really unnecessary? Are they really functional ? I see them range from 5.95 up to $100 + dollars. They come in stainless, Cast Iron, etc.

Meat Press

I cook on a Weber charcoal grill.

They work great if you want to squeeze the juice outta something your cooking, might come in handy for making a samwhich

They work great if you want to squeeze the juice outta something your cooking, might come in handy for making a samwhich

TMO (Totally My Opinion). What a waste of money and good food! These things were intended for solid grilling surfaces to 1) hold meat (like hamburgers down to keep them from balling up or bacon to keep it from curling) and 2) retain heat on an open (solid) grill so things will cook faster. As Jim said, they have side effects on a grill grate like squeezing out juice (nice, dry burgers) and helping to get food caught between the grate bars.

To keep your burgers from balling up, put a big thumb print half way into the burgers before putting them on the grill. To keep bacon from curling, cook it slower at lower temps -- high heat causes curling. An oven or covered grill environment is best.

To cook faster, be patient and enjoy. :)

(All true and offered as well-intended device. I remember those meat presses from my days as a waiter at the now long defunct Harry's Deli in Chapel Hill, NC. Know internationally up and down the East coast for it's surly waiters. "Thanks for the dime tip...") :lol: :lol: :ph34r:

Rich

Unitasker. Get a nice array of cast iron cookware instead. They work just as well if not better at flattening meat on the grilltop. Though such a technique is not generally my cup of tea, it can be nice for evening out the finish on big chicken breasts.

Bonus with cast iron skillets: you can heat them up with the grill and cook both sides at the same time.