underthehood

Primarily for Tubby but all opinions welcome

So Jim I am looking at this http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/hsh/3531721424.html I sent it to my bro but now he says he wants ONLY a Weber. I can appreciate that. However I know you have great things to say about this units big brother. Would you say if I let my bro have my Summit 450 for $400 this would be a good trade off? This would give me a nice outdoor rotisserie grill (besides my old Garage Queen Ducane). which btw as I post this is spinning a Chuck Eye roast on it's rear burner rotisserie :P

But this Ducane in the ad has my attention. What's your thoughts? I have no clue what the innards are or even what the model is called.

So Jim I am looking at this http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/hsh/3531721424.html I sent it to my bro but now he says he wants ONLY a Weber. I can appreciate that. However I know you have great things to say about this units big brother. Would you say if I let my bro have my Summit 450 for $400 this would be a good trade off? This would give me a nice outdoor rotisserie grill (besides my old Garage Queen Ducane). which btw as I post this is spinning a Chuck Eye roast on it's rear burner rotisserie :P

But this Ducane in the ad has my attention. What's your thoughts? I have no clue what the innards are or even what the model is called.

Nice hood thats before the Meridian, I can tell by the skirt on the bottom of the chassis,(its got the older square temp gauge if you need one I can send you a new spare) its SS from top to bottom, you paid 50 bucks for the Summit and can pretty much trade for the Duke with IR rotto, I would say heck yeah, you see the advantage of the rotto burner, plus the Duke runs a good 100+degrees hotter than the Weber, the chassis is stellar, cast brass side burner, it does look like someone took a brillio pad to the grill, well for sure make sure it all works, as you know I chose my grandaddy Duke over a 670 at the same price and have no regrets, dukes going on 7 years old with no signs of corrosion anywhere.

does the guy have the rotto with it?

I would say go for it because it has the rotto burner

you got the Genny I would go for it, I am sure you will be happy with it, it sears like a SOB, and its a 24"s wide so birds will be browned with no scorch

jim

Hood

If the guts of this grill are intact then it's a good buy

OK guys we'll see what the Bro says to my offer. Never know. What are the internal burners like? What does this use as a flame tamer/flavorizer system? Frankly I have never even seen one of these "in the flesh" so I am kinda flyin' blind. I think the brillo effect may be due to weird flash angle from the poster.

Hood,

Is that one of the Home Depot Ducanes? If so, then my dad has had one for over six years. He got his a year after I got my original Jenn-Air, and at the time I thought that the JA was a heavier and better grill. Of course I am on my third grill since that JA and he still has the Ducane, so I guess I was wrong!

The only trouble that he has had was the center burner (tube) rusted through; Weber replaced all three burners under warranty. I cooked on it once last year (chicken and burgers) and was fairly impressed with the heat eveness. Overall, I'd say it is a good grill. I think that he paid $700 for the grill new.

Thanks Ron G. Can't really say about the HD thing. For some reason HD is a store I pretty much stay out of. They pissed me off a couple times and now unless I need something they have they are never on my "go to" list

Nice hood thats before the Meridian, I can tell by the skirt on the bottom of the chassis,(its got the older square temp gauge if you need one I can send you a new spare) its SS from top to bottom, you paid 50 bucks for the Summit and can pretty much trade for the Duke with IR rotto, I would say heck yeah, you see the advantage of the rotto burner, plus the Duke runs a good 100+degrees hotter than the Weber, the chassis is stellar, cast brass side burner, it does look like someone took a brillio pad to the grill, well for sure make sure it all works, as you know I chose my grandaddy Duke over a 670 at the same price and have no regrets, dukes going on 7 years old with no signs of corrosion anywhere.

does the guy have the rotto with it?

I would say go for it because it has the rotto burner

you got the Genny I would go for it, I am sure you will be happy with it, it sears like a SOB, and its a 24"s wide so birds will be browned with no scorch

jim

Hey Jim

Is this http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/app/3487539570.html the same grill? If so I think I am going to try and jump all over that :rolleyes:

Hey Jim

Is this http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/app/3487539570.html the same grill? If so I think I am going to try and jump all over that :rolleyes:

YEAH BUDDY, drop the mouse and run to this guys pad 100 BUCKS!!!!!

ut oh "Available for pick-up only in West Allis on Saturday, January 5th, 2013"

does he still have it?

I'd have to think so he JUST posted the ad. I will have to see if my bro can get there. I cannot this week. S%^T

YEAH BUDDY, drop the mouse and run to this guys pad 100 BUCKS!!!!!

ut oh "Available for pick-up only in West Allis on Saturday, January 5th, 2013"

does he still have it?

Well just got back from Germany last night. So I just might go see this guy with the $100 special. Might be worth grabbing and using it to replace rather the supplement. Apparently from the Ducane web site they just call this a stainless. Appears to be have been made about 7 years ago. Sound about right?

Any gottchas on these anyone knows about? How about parts...................easy to get?

Well just got back from Germany last night. So I just might go see this guy with the $100 special. Might be worth grabbing and using it to replace rather the supplement. Apparently from the Ducane web site they just call this a stainless. Appears to be have been made about 7 years ago. Sound about right?

Any gottchas on these anyone knows about? How about parts...................easy to get?

Hood

How you dealing with the jet lag?

If I was in your shoes I would get that grill in a heart beat.

Due to it's age it has to be 304SS.

Anything else it may need Weber will supply

Talking about a bargin

Jet lag is fine ;) I actually had a slightly easier time on return than going over. But at 3 am I woke to a little "sound". Little grand son woke up and turned on his own light in his room and than came in our room and proudly announced I turn on the yite (which translates to I turn on the light. So Nona got up with him, his mom still sound asleep and they found a Wiggles show. He went potty and than she put him in with daughter and she went to bed again about 4 and I got up about 430.

We actually went to the Henkels factory in Solingen Germany on Wednesday! Found another knife for my collection too :rolleyes: (knives and grills gotta love em).

I was looking at the old Ducane reviews on the HD web site and noticed quite a few folks lamenting rotted out burners though and Weber not standing behind them.

Any input? I am kinda used to the actual Weber product where the burners seem to last and last (only replaced one on my Genny in nearly 20 years) so having a little "cold feet". Also I know Jim (Tubby) has the Meridian for quite a while and wondering if this is just a smaller version of the Meridian? How his has held up or anyone else with real world experience on these can offer advice.

Part if me says jump on it and another says stay with the Summit.....................................decisions :huh:

Jet lag is fine ;) I actually had a slightly easier time on return than going over. But at 3 am I woke to a little "sound". Little grand son woke up and turned on his own light in his room and than came in our room and proudly announced I turn on the yite (which translates to I turn on the light. So Nona got up with him, his mom still sound asleep and they found a Wiggles show. He went potty and than she put him in with daughter and she went to bed again about 4 and I got up about 430.

We actually went to the Henkels factory in Solingen Germany on Wednesday! Found another knife for my collection too :rolleyes: (knives and grills gotta love em).

I was looking at the old Ducane reviews on the HD web site and noticed quite a few folks lamenting rotted out burners though and Weber not standing behind them.

Any input? I am kinda used to the actual Weber product where the burners seem to last and last (only replaced one on my Genny in nearly 20 years) so having a little "cold feet". Also I know Jim (Tubby) has the Meridian for quite a while and wondering if this is just a smaller version of the Meridian? How his has held up or anyone else with real world experience on these can offer advice.

Part if me says jump on it and another says stay with the Summit.....................................decisions :huh:

We were just having a discussion on how is it that Weber burners last and last an everybody elses's rot

I dont know what Weber does but it works.

Mike found a third party place for burners. I think he put it in the JenAire/nexgrill section

I would get a good look at the inside of the grill before I made a decision

Yep trouble is I have to drive nearly 90 miles in my gas hog mini van each way and wanna be sure it's worth the drive

Can you ask the guy to take pictures of the inside for you and email them to you or text message them to you .

That will do 2 things.

It will really let you no the condition of the inside of the grill

If he dosent want to do it then it saves you a trip

Can you ask the guy to take pictures of the inside for you and email them to you or text message them to you .

That will do 2 things.

It will really let you no the condition of the inside of the grill

If he dosent want to do it then it saves you a trip

You know Ronald........................I think I am going to "count my blessings" and hang on to my $100. Right now I am so pleased with how well my Genesis, my Summit, my electric Q140 and yes my old garage queen Ducane 2004 models cook I think I will pull a Black Jack move and "stay". I was thinking I might sell the Summit but I get a bad feeling in my stomach thinking about that. I have a "fleet" that seems to do everything I want (and very well), I don't have much invested ($$$ wise) so maybe it's best to just stick with what I have. Plus I already have quite a lot of spare stuff I picked up from a scrapped Summit 450 built in model I picked up for a song. Including a very nice sky blue lid that will be installed this spring.

It seems my research shows that this particular Ducane was a "one off" made for HD by a different company than made the Meridian (like Jim has). I think it was Grand Hall. And if so after being through that with the Sam's grill I had (which looked great even after the insides had burned/rotted away) I think I will work at modifying the weak spots in the old Ducane I have and making it in to a decent "keeper" along with it's co-workers. Thanks for all the tips though

hood - now you're thinking rationally... :)

mike

hood - now you're thinking rationally... :)

mike

I know.....................every once in a while that happens and it scares the hell out of me. Could I be getting old? :huh:

I think your right Hood, its called a stainless, well worth the 100.00, for future reference the Meridians all say Meridian under the knobs, and should have a round temp gauge if 06 or 07, heres some pics of them

post-6248-0-89635000-1359237487_thumb.png