cuskit

Best Way to Sharpen Your Kitchen Knives!

post-640-0-76706300-1359316416_thumb.jpgpost-640-0-93991300-1359316414_thumb.jpgpost-640-0-14127000-1359316413_thumb.jpgpost-640-0-80250200-1359316408_thumb.jpgpost-640-0-43595400-1359316406_thumb.jpgpost-640-0-41955800-1359316404_thumb.jpg

Well, I've done it again. Dropped my dime (okay - 69 dimes to be exact) for a new knife sharpener. I've been getting by with a stone and steel as well as a couple of those hand held gadgets you buy at 3:00am off the tv, but my knives had finally gotten to that point where a butter knife might do better.. B)

Looking around at my options, I decided to try out this Power Belt Sharpener Having seen ads for this unit on TV, I felt confident placing my order since I had seen a

with this machine and it looked kinda cool to me. So, based on the endorsement of our very own astute member - improv, I ordered it on Amazon and just recently took delivery. I have to say I'm quite pleased! As the attached photos (compliments of my Lumix G4 DLSM camera) show, I ran a sampling of my knives through and now it's time to BE VERY CAREFUL when handling these knives. Suffice it to say they are SHARP! More so than when they were new. It's rare that when you see a "toy" such as this advertised that they fill your expectations, but this one actually surpassed mine. Sure, there's a ton of machines available, but at this price point I don't believe you can beat the results. I was skeptical to put some of my more expensive cutlery to the belt, but after running a couple of my "average" cost knives through I discarded my apprehension and ran all of them through it. I feel more confident with an abrasive belt than a grinding wheel as it causes less heat. I take this mantra from my professional tool sharpener service since they apply that same practice to all my shop cutting steel.

The unit comes with a variety of different grit belts, I merely used the one that came pre-installed on the machine, and then followed that with a few licks across my steel rod. It's one off the top as to abrasion, but the smoothest one above it does no more than my steel rod would do. And besides, I like to make that "galloping" noise when I use my steel just for the hey hey of it.. :)

As shown in the video I had seen - my newly sharpened knives now cleanly slice through the edge of paper in a lethal manner! I'm now confident that I can tackle any carving chore thrown at me now that my knives are up to snuff. I'll update this post down the road a bit to let you know how long they hold an edge - though that would probably be more a reflection of the grade of steel used than the angle set with this machine, which appears to be just perfect. I'm so tickled with this machine, I'm taking it to my shop and dressing up the dozen or so knives I use there for utilitarian purposes, including several pair of scissors, a couple of hatchets and my paint scrapers! :P

One small tip I don't believe I had seen, but I finish the last couple of swipes on the edge of the belt driving upwards into the blade. For me, this ensures there will be no small burrs left as you might incur when the belt is driving down, away from the edge of the knife. Those who ever used a stone would already know this little tiddy.. ;)

So, here ya go. Mikey's New Toy:

ok Mike

I know I dont sleep. I didnt know you had the same problem.

Is it a AARP thing?

So where in your shop does this go?

Mikey whats the hot tip for sharpening your serrated knives (my weapon of choice) I try a stone and only get the outer edges

jim

Jim, on this machine you just run the knife freehand across the flexible part of the belt - see the second part of this

. But that basically just hits the points, as you probably have been doing on your stone. I follow up by going across the edge of the belt at a slight angle - this lets the belt edge run up into each serration. You can't put a lot of force since that will change the shape of the serrated points, but I found the purple belt least "destructive" for that purpose. Worked like a charm - my bread and tomato knives never worked so well before!

In the past I've used my cloth rag wheel on my grinder along with abrasive polish - always did the trick but was kinda messy. Here's a guy showing basically the same way I do it: Rag Wheel Serrated Sharpening Method To tell you the truth, probably just running the serrated edges over the flat part of the belt on this new machine is all you'll ever need since it hits the pointed parts only, and it's my feeling that only those points dull up anyway. The valleys never really get dulled since the points enter the piece you cut first and take the brunt of the work.

Now, if you want to go crazy and really get down and dirty - grab yourself a dowel, some emery cloth, a couple of clamps and start polishing the valleys on every single serrated section. See this idiot

Of course, you'll want a couple/three six packs, a bucket of wings, NO company cause you'll find yourself growling a lot and allow most of the afternoon for just a couple of knives. Yea. Right. I found a six pack per knife side followed by a break mowing through the bucket of wings did the trick. And you know what? By the end of the afternoon my knife may have been more sharp, but I couldn't really tell much since I was flogged from those three six packs... :P And didn't really care if they were sharp or not 'cause I'd already made up my mind that only an idiot would waste time doing it this way. Me - I'd buy a new knife before I ever go through that ordeal again! Nah - do it my way (above) and you'll be fine. :) Oh yea, by the way. By the third six pack I guess I was so wasted that I started grinding the top (wrong) side of the knife because the day after Patty was asking "when did I buy the two-sided serrated knives" she saw in our knife drawer.. :wacko:

Ron - not sure about sleep, I think I usually grab a few naps on the drive to and from work each day (assuming this because I hear a lot of honking horns while I drive). Hey, my built-in sleep clock has been f***ked up for a couple of months now - actually ever since Hurricane Sandy danced into town. I haven't been able to regulate it either. Tired as crap all day long, but wide awake through the night. I eat dinner and guarantee within 30 minutes I'm sound asleep. Then I wake up anywhere between 9:00 and midnight, and that's it for the night. Just can't get back to sleep. So, I walk the dog, munch through all kinds of crap goodies, watch tv and surf online.

Oh yea. And log onto B&H Photo and donate my usual evening $... And then spend whatever's left on these other very not necessary toys like the Work Sharp! :lol:

A Sharper Mike :)

Dave, re-read my post in your thread, I quote: "Dave, you sold me! I just ordered it from Amazon, $68.95 with free shipping". I had previously seen the ads on tv and noted it on my iPhone calendar to research it further - your subsequent post "SOLD ME" on ordering it.. :) Very sorry I forgot to credit you with the "push and shove" to buy it, I honestly forgot about that when I finally received the unit and posted about it, I only remembered the tv ads because they pop up every day on my iPhone calendar "reminders".. You have my abject apologies and I am forever in your debt for failing to credit you with the purchase of this wonderful machine! Thanks for selling me on it! ;)

Definitely I really dropped the ball on this - but you have to remember I am after all, 62 years old and forget what I had for dinner yesterday - let's not even go there! :wacko:

So, if you'd take a second and check out my "edited" initial post in this thread - you are now and forever escalated to esteem status! Thank you profusely! :)

A very mortified and chastened, mike

Haha, not sure I needed all of that, but thanks. :lol:

I'd never heard of this unit until a cooking buddy on another forum recommended it to me. You can't beat the price considering how effective it is. One word of advice: be careful to stop pulling the knife before you reach the tip or else you run the risk of removing the tip altogether. It happens quickly.

Yard tools also take on a whole new level of efficiency after a couple passes through this beast. I've been doing all my family and friends' knives, too. It's addicting.

Hey - for selling me on this unit you deserve tons of accolades, I like it THAT much! :) Thinking about starting a cottage business sharpening my customers knives... ;)

mike - the cunning sharp guy..

I purchased one of these last spring and couldn't be happier with it and the results on all my knives, even a Buck 110 that has one of the hardest steels I've ever encountered