Wild Bill

JENNAIR / 2004 - 2006 HEAT MODIFICATIONS

I OWN A 2005 JENNAIR GRILL THAT HAS ALWAYS GIVEN ME A PROBLEM WITH HEAT LOSS. I RECENTLY FOUND BARBEQUE SOURCE FORUMS AND FOUND SEVERAL TOPICS RELATING TO MODIFICATIONS THAT SEVERAL USERS HAD MADE TO THEIR GRILLS TO HELP THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO ACCESS ANY OF THEIR SOLUTIONS OR PICTURES BECAUSE THEY WERE SO OLD.

1. ONE SOLUTION WAS TO PUT A STAINLESS ANGLE INSIDE UNDER THE HOOD THAT REDUCED THE CLEARENCE ON TOP. THIS REDUCED SOME OF THE HEAT LOSS.

2. THE SECOND SOLUTION WAS TO PUT A FLAT PLATE OVER THE LOUVERS ON THE BACK OF THE GRILL. THIS ALSO REDUCED SOME MORE OF THE HEAT LOSS.

THE DISCUSSIONS INDICATED THAT THESE MODIFICATIONS HELPED THEM TO INCREASE THE INTERNAL HEAT TO 600 OR 700 DEGREES WHICHED HELP THEM IN THERE COOKING, SMOKING, CLEANING ON THEIR GRILLS.

IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THESE MODIFICATIONS? I WOULD SURE APPRECIATE ANY DRAWINGS OR PICTURES OF THESE MODIFICATIONS SO THAT I COULD FINALLY FIX THIS HEAT LOSS PROBLEM. I REALLY LIKE MY GRILL AND WOULD LIKE TO FIX IT.

I OWN A 2005 JENNAIR GRILL THAT HAS ALWAYS GIVEN ME A PROBLEM WITH HEAT LOSS. I RECENTLY FOUND BARBEQUE SOURCE FORUMS AND FOUND SEVERAL TOPICS RELATING TO MODIFICATIONS THAT SEVERAL USERS HAD MADE TO THEIR GRILLS TO HELP THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO ACCESS ANY OF THEIR SOLUTIONS OR PICTURES BECAUSE THEY WERE SO OLD.

1. ONE SOLUTION WAS TO PUT A STAINLESS ANGLE INSIDE UNDER THE HOOD THAT REDUCED THE CLEARENCE ON TOP. THIS REDUCED SOME OF THE HEAT LOSS.

2. THE SECOND SOLUTION WAS TO PUT A FLAT PLATE OVER THE LOUVERS ON THE BACK OF THE GRILL. THIS ALSO REDUCED SOME MORE OF THE HEAT LOSS.

THE DISCUSSIONS INDICATED THAT THESE MODIFICATIONS HELPED THEM TO INCREASE THE INTERNAL HEAT TO 600 OR 700 DEGREES WHICHED HELP THEM IN THERE COOKING, SMOKING, CLEANING ON THEIR GRILLS.

IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THESE MODIFICATIONS? I WOULD SURE APPRECIATE ANY DRAWINGS OR PICTURES OF THESE MODIFICATIONS SO THAT I COULD FINALLY FIX THIS HEAT LOSS PROBLEM. I REALLY LIKE MY GRILL AND WOULD LIKE TO FIX IT.

Hi Bill, no need to yell, we can hear you in lower case ;)

A word to the wise don't block any louvered vents below your burners, they not only vent gas but supply air to the fuel so it can burn properly, without that air you have a bomb on your hands.

Hot air rises so blocking those vents are not were you are loosing the majority of the heat.

I would suggest if you want to close off the hood to bucket gap you do it from the outside of the grill with something that slides rather than just a hinged bracket that completely closes the gap.

You mentioned 6-700F can you not get that hood temp now?

Have you measured the heat at the grates? you could very well have 700 at the grates and since your hood gauge is mounted opposite of the exhaust escape (where the hot air wants to go) you could have decent grate temp, will it sear up a steak nicely?

If you will post a pic of your grill showing the gap and the outside back of the grill at the gap.

jim

Hi Bill, no need to yell, we can hear you in lower case ;)

A word to the wise don't block any louvered vents below your burners, they not only vent gas but supply air to the fuel so it can burn properly, without that air you have a bomb on your hands.

Hot air rises so blocking those vents are not were you are loosing the majority of the heat.

I would suggest if you want to close off the hood to bucket gap you do it from the outside of the grill with something that slides rather than just a hinged bracket that completely closes the gap.

You mentioned 6-700F can you not get that hood temp now?

Have you measured the heat at the grates? you could very well have 700 at the grates and since your hood gauge is mounted opposite of the exhaust escape (where the hot air wants to go) you could have decent grate temp, will it sear up a steak nicely?

If you will post a pic of your grill showing the gap and the outside back of the grill at the gap.

jim

post-17867-0-28313400-1364244502_thumb.jpgpost-17867-0-90154900-1364244486_thumb.jpgpost-17867-0-98462000-1364244465_thumb.jpgpost-17867-0-06338600-1364244448_thumb.jpgpost-17867-0-20906600-1364244432_thumb.jpg

I apoligize for yelling. I don't text very much.

I did not mean that I was trying to block the airflow below my burners.

This heat loss problem was solved back in 2004 to 2006 on this blog. I'm still trying to get drawings,sketches or pictures of the modifications made for the 2004 - 2005 JennAir Grills. This would be for the Top Gap, The back vents and the divider panel between sections. I've tried everything that I know on the Barbeque Source but am unable to access any of the drawings or pics. that have been posted.

Maybe you know how to contact the people who posted this old info?

My hood temp. never goes over 450 degrees. and I cannot sear a steak on my grates. I do have an IR burner when I need to sear a steak.

I have attached a couple of pics of my grill for your info.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can also contact me at wfremer@att.net

Thanks in advance.

Bill

I apoligize for yelling. I don't text very much.

I did not mean that I was trying to block the airflow below my burners.

This heat loss problem was solved back in 2004 to 2006 on this blog. I'm still trying to get drawings,sketches or pictures of the modifications made for the 2004 - 2005 JennAir Grills. This would be for the Top Gap, The back vents and the divider panel between sections. I've tried everything that I know on the Barbeque Source but am unable to access any of the drawings or pics. that have been posted.

450F is depressing for a grill of that stature.......

Maybe you know how to contact the people who posted this old info?

My hood temp. never goes over 450 degrees. and I cannot sear a steak on my grates. I do have an IR burner when I need to sear a steak.

I have attached a couple of pics of my grill for your info.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can also contact me at wfremer@att.net

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Hi Bill, no need to apologize buddy (yelling is what you say when someone posts in all caps) ;)

Ok wow now I see your problem, I would start by blocking those slots for sure, maybe just a piece of sheet metal and some self tapping metal screws for that, I don't see how your rear IR rotto burner would even project heat out to what you're spinning, with those slots projecting out right above it, let alone any kind of heat retention

I would give that a try for starters, the gap above those slots doesn't look overly large.

If that doesn't work you could then get about a (2" tall x the width of the hood) piece of sheet metal and cut/drill some slots in it at both ends, drill a whole in both sides of the hood put a bolt through (from the inside of the grill), put the sheet metal on and fasten it with a "wing nut" "butterfly nut" so you can snug it with your fingers, then the metal should slide up and down for your adjustment as needed and even allow you to close one end completely and have another end open, that will help if you smoke meats in the grill.

Sorry I never saw the post with drawings you are looking for.........

jim

Ive been looking at doing the mods I have read about to make the Jenn-Air grills run hotter. Anyone have pics of these rear vent and cover gap mods? would make my day. Ive been not using my grill due to not being able to get the temps up to where they need to be. This year Im vowing to change that.

Thanks in advance.

Ive been looking at doing the mods I have read about to make the Jenn-Air grills run hotter. Anyone have pics of these rear vent and cover gap mods? would make my day. Ive been not using my grill due to not being able to get the temps up to where they need to be. This year Im vowing to change that.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Newbie,

I received some answers to my post but have not had time to make modifications. It would be easier to just forward the emails I received to you. I would need your email address to do that. You can reach me at wfremer@att.net.

Bill