Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

richlife

Some catchup

42 posts in this topic

I can't believe what I just finished reading. Rich, so glad to hear you telling your own story. And I'm glad your telling it here. You even responded to my cardiac episode in Shelley's "No Foil" thread without mentioning your incidence. I didn't realize.

And now it's all coming out. James is on this, Dave went trough that. Mikey knows someone on this and he's taking that.

Rich, sorry it took your issue to have us all reveal some of our cardiological short comings and to be aware how vulnerable we could with our love affair with BBQing. In the 50s, 60s club, our mental enthusiasms are far stronger than our physical attributes. Not saying to slow down by any means just to be aware especially of what we eat. Actually, I preach a lot louder than I practice. Silly.

Welcome home Rich. Thank Goodness, you never left. I'm still shocked.

If anyone hasn't tried "No Salt", it satisfies my limited needs and it's Potassium Chloride, not Sodium.

Bye the way Rich, I believe the Statin Crestor comes in 5mg dosages as apposed to Zocor. If it's a real issue ask your doc.

SERIOUSLY NOW, BEST OF HEALTH TO EVERYONE

AND ONE MORE THING. Now I'm angry.

Ever since my stent insertion, I've been reading more and more labels of the food I purchase. It sickens me how much fat and salt we consume in items that really don't seem to warrant the quantities used. You can't get away from it with any normally prepared food items. Also it seems, anything with lower salt or fat content are proportionately higher in price. It figures.... Really angry now.

Ever since my stent insertion, I've been reading more and more labels of the food I purchase. It sickens me how much fat and salt we consume in items that really don't seem to warrant the quantities used. You can't get away from it with any normally prepared food items. Also it seems, anything with lower salt or fat content are proportionately higher in price. It figures.... Really angry now.

Oh and add to the list High Fructose Corn Syrup. That S%^T finds it's way in to nearly EVERYTHING and I am sick (literally) of it. The harm that crap causes the body (especially the liver) is beyond belief. On TV some jerk walks with some beautiful little girl in a cornfield telling us "our body can't tell the difference". What a bunch of bull s^&t. Tell that to my doctor who nearly made me go through a bunch of painful liver tests until she found out the soda I drank caused the issue.

I swear I think I want to pack it in here in the US and go live in Germany or the like. In Europe they are not allowed to use that crap, nor are they allowed to shove GMO products down your throat and not disclose it. Yeah you can buy the stuff but it is labeled clearly and succinctly unlike here where you find out you're consuming products that chemically and genetically do you harm only because your doctor finds out (maybe too late) :angry:

UH OH,

I think someone else is a little perturbed

UH OH,

I think someone else is a little perturbed

Ya think?! :D

Elliot when I shop If I see something on there that I can't pronounce, or don't know what it is, than I don't buy it.

#1 Heres your pretty standard (advertised) healthy bread (not):

Enriched Bleached Flour [wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate (vitamin B1), Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Folic Acid], Whole Grain Flour, Brown Rice Flour (rice Flour, Rice Bran)], Water, Whey, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Gluten, Sugar, Yeast Contains 2% or Less Of Each Of the Following: Vegetable Oil (soybean and or Cottonseed Oils), Calcium Sulfate, Salt, Dough Conditioners (may Contain One or More Of the Following: Mono- and Diglycerides, Ethoxylated Mono- and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Calcium Peroxide, Datem, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide Enzymes), Guar Gum, Calcium Propionate (preservative), Distilled Vinegar, Butter (cream, Salt), Yeast Nutrients (monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Ammonium Sulfate and or Calcium Carbonate), Corn Starch, Natural Flavor, Vitamin D3, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour.

#2 Heres bread I buy:

100% Whole Wheat, Water, Barley, Millet, Malted Barley, Lentils, Soybeans, Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Wheat Gluten

#2 Because it has no preservatives, you do have to store it in the refrigerator.

#1 Can sit on your counter for 2 months :o

#1 sends my spell check into a frenzy :P Does anybody know what that junk is?

I agree you cant even buy canned tomatoes without it being loaded with junk and salt

We need to all do like Shelly and grow our own produce and make everything from scratch

"The Environmental Working Group compiles a yearly list of fruits and vegetables with the highest levels of pesticide residues, based on USDA and FDA testing data. The current top 12 are:"

Apples

Celery

Sweet Bell Peppers

Peaches

Strawberries

Nectarines (imported)

Grapes

Spinach

Lettuce

Cucumbers

Blueberries

Potatoes

You can scrub any of these till the cows come home, but I'm pretty sure if its in the soil, its in the food

Kinda makes you stop and think B)

jim

James,

I like the no pronounce philosophy. I'll consider that approach on Sunday when I do my weekly shopping. I doubt that I can fill the cart unless I go to a specialty store. I'm in the City where everything is tainted. Who knows what's natural here or not.

Also, I can spend easily between 150.00 and 200.00 normally for the 3 of us in the average supermarket. In a health food store, I could imaging the increase. With my daughter coming home from school this week, that much more. But what's more important that health, right.

As far as bread goes, I'll just buy matzoh (flour and water) but the flour is probably bleached. It'll just be used to hold the pastrami I eat to watch my salt and fat intake.

I really shouldn't kid about this and get on the right track regarding food intake. Sooner or later it all catches up.

Next week I'll be planting my summer's intake of vegetables and fruits and harvest them for as long as I can.

James,

I like the no pronounce philosophy. I'll consider that approach on Sunday when I do my weekly shopping. I doubt that I can fill the cart unless I go to a specialty store. I'm in the City where everything is tainted. Who knows what's natural here or not.

Also, I can spend easily between 150.00 and 200.00 normally for the 3 of us in the average supermarket. In a health food store, I could imaging the increase. With my daughter coming home from school this week, that much more. But what's more important that health, right.

As far as bread goes, I'll just buy matzoh (flour and water) but the flour is probably bleached. It'll just be used to hold the pastrami I eat to watch my salt and fat intake.

I really shouldn't kid about this and get on the right track regarding food intake. Sooner or later it all catches up.

Next week I'll be planting my summer's intake of vegetables and fruits and harvest them for as long as I can.

Yeah its hard Elliot, I find the low carb/fat items are in more variety than the low sodium products, its really hard to find both in the same item, I look at stuff like "Lean Cuisine" fantastic low everything till you get to the 950mg of salt per serving.

I'm lucky my blood levels are good and my Hypertension is primary, or essential, meaning that it exists as a separate entity not related to any identifiable disease, secondary Hypertension means that it occurs as a result of another disease process, which could be the boat you and Rich are in with the artery problems.

I find by knowing how much salt is in what I'm eating I can plan my meals a day at a time and not go over 1500mg's a day, if i get 100mg's in cereal for breakfast and eat rabbit food for lunch I can then have a cheeseburger with 1400mg's for dinner.

jim

Sorry, for dropping out on you guys. I like where this tread is now and will leave it open as EVERYONE should be aware of this crap -- but I'll start a new one also for us to continue on what's happened to me (nothing serious). After all, you know I love to talk about myself.

elliot and jimbo, I'm right in your camp on the crap in our "prepared" foods. That's causing a lot of issues with us right now. Jim, you mentioned the canned tomatoes!!!!! I wanted soup for lunch yesterday -- the best I could find was black bean with ONLY 590 gms of salt!!!

I'm sure glad all you guys are around with tips, pointers and methods. Thank you from the bottom of my now strongly beating heart. :P

(Oh, and I won't abandon this thread.)

Rich

Rich

Yes unless you have the ability to grow your own food. Eating healthy is very expensive.

Thats why I eat so much fish. I catch it , I store it. I cook it.

I only buy fresh kill from a slaughterhouse. Anything else only comes from COSTCO.

I have a rule. If the word FRESH is in the name of the market. I wont shop in it.

It is a given that markets are only suppose to sell fresh food. If they have to remind us it is fresh, that usually means it is not

Legally, fresh means not frozen. Produce, fish, etc. can be on the shelves for days or weeks and still be considered fresh. But in the public's mind, fresh means just picked, caught, etc.

If you're going to read labels on canned foods, please also do so with frozen processed pre cooked foods like meatballs, chicken strips, tator tots, etc. They're convenient, very tastey and higher in fat and salt than most canned goods. And you may have to stop eating in some of your favorite restaurants.

Or send for a copy of my cookbook which is full of low fat, low salt ideas (not Ronald who has).

Shameless plug. :-)

Shelly

Yes unless you have the ability to grow your own food. Eating healthy is very expensive.

Thats why I eat so much fish. I catch it , I store it. I cook it.

I only buy fresh kill from a slaughterhouse. Anything else only comes from COSTCO.

I have a rule. If the word FRESH is in the name of the market. I wont shop in it.

It is a given that markets are only suppose to sell fresh food. If they have to remind us it is fresh, that usually means it is not

Thats cool Ron, the stuff in the market thats "farm raised" is terrible for you, I always get the "wild caught" fish, yeah anything with names like "real" "lite" means the company just coined a phrase for the junk they are selling.

What I hate is to get organic chicken that hasn't been plumped with salt can be ten bucks a pound, supposedly if you soak the chicken in buttermilk it leeches the salt from the meat, bread or potatoes soaking in fresh water with the bird will help draw the previously injected salt from the chicken.

I used to brine my chicken and turkey, probably why I have high BP now, well that and years of eating off roach coaches on construction sites :)

jim

"Thats cool Ron, the stuff in the market thats "farm raised" is terrible for you," Actually not totally true. There is some farm raised fish (Salmon in particular) that is actually better for you and better eating than the wild. Just happened to see it on America's Test Kitchen. Turns out that Julia Collin Davidosn's husband is the show's private fish monger. He noted that Salmon farm raised from Europe (in particular Ireland's Claire Island) and from Scotland are particularly more wholesome and better tasting than wild. He said that the wild tends to have a lot of PCB and stuff which the top quality farm raised does not. I have 2 stores near by that sell these particular Salmons and I have to say they blow the wild stuff "outta da water" (no pun intended). They are not cheap but OH BOY are they ever good. The guy also indicated these particular FR salmon have higher levels of the good Omega stuff because they are raised in the Atlantic in very cold waters.

Anyway just my .02 Euro ;)

OK, OK, you bullied me into it. :-) , Shelly.

Rich

"Thats cool Ron, the stuff in the market thats "farm raised" is terrible for you," Actually not totally true. There is some farm raised fish (Salmon in particular) that is actually better for you and better eating than the wild. Just happened to see it on America's Test Kitchen. Turns out that Julia Collin Davidosn's husband is the show's private fish monger. He noted that Salmon farm raised from Europe (in particular Ireland's Claire Island) and from Scotland are particularly more wholesome and better tasting than wild. He said that the wild tends to have a lot of PCB and stuff which the top quality farm raised does not. I have 2 stores near by that sell these particular Salmons and I have to say they blow the wild stuff "outta da water" (no pun intended). They are not cheap but OH BOY are they ever good. The guy also indicated these particular FR salmon have higher levels of the good Omega stuff because they are raised in the Atlantic in very cold waters.

Anyway just my .02 Euro ;)

Ya don't say, I thought it was just the opposite heres some stuff I found:

"The program cited a pilot study conducted by Dr Easton with David Suzuki Foundation. The study found that farm raised salmon and the feed they were fed appeared to have a much higher level of contamination with respect to PCBs, organo-chlorine pesticides and polybrominated diphenyl ethers than did wild salmon. It concluded that it seems that contamination in farm fish comes from the feed."

"the Environmental Working Group EWG released a report stating that farm raised salmon purchased in the United States contain the highest level of PCBs in the food supply system. In the report, EWG reported that farm raised salmon have 16 times PCBs found in wild salmon, 4 times the levels in beef, and 3.4 times the levels in other seafood. EWG recommends that consumers choose wild salmon instead of farm raised salmon, and they should eat an 8 oz serving of farm raised salmon no more than once a month.

Science Journal: In the journal Science warned that farm raised salmon contain 10 times more toxins (PCBs, dioxin, etc.) than wild salmon. The study recommends that farm raised salmon should be eaten once a month, perhaps every two months as they pose cancer risks to the human beings.

"Many farmed salmon are also treated with antibiotics to increase their size, and they are artificially colored to make the flesh a deeper pink color.

Since farmed salmon are raised in close proximity to each other there is also a much higher incidence of disease and sea lice than found in wild fish. To combat this many fish farms put antibiotics in the fish feed to keep infection down and the fish healthy. As a result the areas around fish farms can suffer negative ecological effects from the engineered fish feed and fish waste."

“Wild salmon become pink by eating sea creatures like krill, which contain a carotenoid called astaxanthin. Farmed salmon are naturally grayish but turn pink when they are fed various sources of astaxanthin, including one that is chemically synthesized and others that originate from yeast or microalgae.”

Since i'm in the states I'm going for the wild caught :)

although not to disparage Julia Collin Davidosn's husband :rolleyes:

jim

He addressed that in the interview and noted that many of those fish (cited for contamination) were raised in Chile (which I avoid like the plague) and even the ones raised in the USA were noted for being fed GMO feed and such. While the salmon raised in Europe were the healthiest. I don't believe there was any hidden agenda. His sales were not on the line. Even my own senses tell me it's high quality. There is no need for artificial color disclosure as they don't have any, they are truly fresh (not "previously frozen") as you see in the fish case all the time. It cooks wonderfully and I personally have confidence in it. Things I do avoid. The aforementioned Chile Salmon, Tilapia (of all kinds ), any fish farm raised in countries I don't believe in (Vietnam, China, and so on). I will purchase wild caught catfish from USA, Lake Superior Whitefish wild from USA and so on, I do some mean Octopus on the grill (wild caught) same with calamari (wild caught).

But just because something is farm raised it does not scare me as long as my research shows it has not been fed GMO product, hormones, antibiotics and so on

But I do understand the study you cited but note they don't even mention the certified organic raised product(s) I buy. If you find these products do the research yourself and try them you will be pleasantly (as I) surprised.

He addressed that in the interview and noted that many of those fish (cited for contamination) were raised in Chile (which I avoid like the plague) and even the ones raised in the USA were noted for being fed GMO feed and such. While the salmon raised in Europe were the healthiest. I don't believe there was any hidden agenda. His sales were not on the line. Even my own senses tell me it's high quality. There is no need for artificial color disclosure as they don't have any, they are truly fresh (not "previously frozen") as you see in the fish case all the time. It cooks wonderfully and I personally have confidence in it. Things I do avoid. The aforementioned Chile Salmon, Tilapia (of all kinds ), any fish farm raised in countries I don't believe in (Vietnam, China, and so on). I will purchase wild caught catfish from USA, Lake Superior Whitefish wild from USA and so on, I do some mean Octopus on the grill (wild caught) same with calamari (wild caught).

But just because something is farm raised it does not scare me as long as my research shows it has not been fed GMO product, hormones, antibiotics and so on

But I do understand the study you cited but note they don't even mention the certified organic raised product(s) I buy. If you find these products do the research yourself and try them you will be pleasantly (as I) surprised.

I wish Hood my market is soo limited, my choices are usually poop and crap :) heck my costco is 50 miles each way from the house. I would have to drive 110 miles out to the coast to get really good fish.

Some of you guys are lucky you have access to good organic foods.

jim

Actually I thought I lived the "barrens". When I first moved here I asked people where I could find good deli. My answer always came back "What is deli?" Having been born/raised in Chicago on da nortwest side and living there most of my life I became used to culture. Like knowing the Italian neighborhoods, the Polish, Middle Eastern and so on and could plan menus accordingly. Wife and I used to live only 4 doors away from a very famous fish house in Chicago. That was really nice. I could come home from work, change, light the grill and walk down the alley to the shop. I'd walk in and tell them I just lit the charcoal or the gasser and the guys knew me and they'd make recommendation on what flew in fresh that day.

Now I am at the mercy of only 2 real groceries. None of which are anything to write home about. But at least between the 2 of them I can find decent fish. the one is run by an Italian family from Chicago so I can lay my hands on some pretty decent sea food.

Otherwise like you I have very limited options and VERY expensive. Our Schnuks markets are so expensive for meats that it makes sense to be a vegetarian. Can you imagine having to pay close to $11 lb for CHUCK?! :( I can't always buy at Sams because I really hate buying such huge quantities and having to freeze but I can buy tenderloin for the same cost that Schnuks charges for their worst cut of round!

Yep they got us by the stones because there is no competition

. Can you imagine having to pay close to $11 lb for CHUCK?! :( I can't always buy at Sams because I really hate buying such huge quantities and having to freeze but I can buy tenderloin for the same cost that Schnuks charges for their worst cut of round!

Yep they got us by the stones because there is no competition

I would never pay that for chuck, thats robbery, I'm lucky in the beef department, my market has great prices on choice beef, but if I want prime I have to go to the butcherpost-6248-0-95920800-1368302594_thumb.png

Yeah I hate frozen beef myself, always seams to cook up a bit stringy (unless maybe I vac seal it)

I don't think any of us here are eating like crap, its the crap thats in the food thats suppose to be good for us thats killing us :D

jim