Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

NVNJ

Screwed up my rib eye steak.

16 posts in this topic

Hi all

I thought it would be nice to grill some Black Angus Rib Eye Steak for the wife and I. This was my first attempt. Needless to say I was not happy at all how they came out. They looked like they were about 3/4" thick. I pre heated to around 525 and put them on for 3 minutes each side. I think that may have been to much. I went off of what the Weber iPad app suggested for medium rare. Please see te attached pics. I was looking for more off tender final product. Did I get the wrong steak to achieve this? Should I have left it on for less time? I'd really appreciate some suggestions. :).

post-11640-0-98285000-1367841053_thumb.jpg

post-11640-0-73573600-1367841142_thumb.jpg

Rib eye steaks can be tricky. First while flavorful they are not really that tender unless you get the prime cut (very hard to find). I have found my best ribeyes start out as very thick steaks, than I do a very hot and quick sear, and switch to some gentler indirect cooking IOW more of a roasting method combined with grilling. As long as I have thick enough steaks I can accomplish a pretty tender/tasty result that is still visually pleasing also.

Tip: Look around your market for Chuck Eye steaks. These are a little secret. They eat darn near as well as a ribeye yet cost substantially less. Bottom line though when I want a really tender steak I use tenderloin. When I want really tasty I use the chuck eye.

Hi all

I thought it would be nice to grill some Black Angus Rib Eye Steak for the wife and I. This was my first attempt. Needless to say I was not happy at all how they came out. They looked like they were about 3/4" thick. I pre heated to around 525 and put them on for 3 minutes each side. I think that may have been to much. I went off of what the Weber iPad app suggested for medium rare. Please see te attached pics. I was looking for more off tender final product. Did I get the wrong steak to achieve this? Should I have left it on for less time? I'd really appreciate some suggestions. :).

Were they previously frozen?

Did you marinate them?

Did they come out med rare just tough?

3 minutes a side should have been about right for that temp a good rib eye should stay tender even at med well, providing like Hood mentioned it has some nice fat (marbling) to it

Your pic is to large to view but were they bone in?

I usually buy the standing rib roast and cut them myself (bone in) or have the butcher cut mine an inch plus, the wife and kids a half inch, I usually find bone in to be more tender and flavorful regardless of what cut it is.

Try a Porterhouse sometime their Filet Mignon and Strip Sirloin together separated by the bone and priced about the same as rib eyes.

jim

It was not previously frozen. I purchased fresh from the butcher on Friday. Seasoned it with spices on Saturday and grilled it Sunday evening. Maybe I shouldn't have seasoned it untill ready to grill. They were bone in. Just not sure as to why they were so tough.

It was not previously frozen. I purchased fresh from the butcher on Friday. Seasoned it with spices on Saturday and grilled it Sunday evening. Maybe I shouldn't have seasoned it untill ready to grill. They were bone in. Just not sure as to why they were so tough.

"Seasoned it with spices" any chance one of the spices was salt? salt will draw moisture out of meat if left sitting on it, some folks salt and let it sit for an hour, rinse and pat dry and swear by it, but a day is most likely to long.

Bone in med rare should have almost cut with your fork ;)

jim

Lol. Definitely salt! That would make sense. I left it in the fridge with salt, pepper on it for about 30 hours. It certainly tasted dried out and would not cut with a fork for sure. That's what made me think that I over cooked it. With that being said, if I did "over cook" than why would te inside still be pink. Hmmm

Lol. Definitely salt! That would make sense. I left it in the fridge with salt, pepper on it for about 30 hours. It certainly tasted dried out and would not cut with a fork for sure. That's what made me think that I over cooked it. With that being said, if I did "over cook" than why would te inside still be pink. Hmmm

Some folks love a "cured" steak, not me buddy, sounds like you either :lol:

I try to take them from the butcher to the grill :)

jim

Butcher to the grill :+). I like! Thank you for the advice

Butcher to the grill :+). I like! Thank you for the advice

Yeah if you can swing it, you'd be surprised how good it is, I'm fortunate to have my market and butcher about a mile from my house, so if its steak night I just scoot over about 4:30 grab what I want and we are eating it by 6pm, last thing I'm ever going to do is get a 10-15 dollar per pound cut of meat and freeze it :D

I think (I could be wrong) if you do want to fridge it for sometime do it unwrapped like you dry age meat, never tried it but its supposed to add some flavor.

jim

I salt and pepper my steaks liberally no more than an hour before hitting the grill. Occasionally a montreal steak rub. But as you've seen any longer will go into curing land.

3 minutes a side would be about right for a 1"- to 1.25"-thick steak on my EP-330 (I forget at the moment which you're using). Anything thinner and you have to keep a closer eye on it to keep it from going over medium rare. If they are room temp at 3/4", 2 minutes a side is a better starting point. You can always chuck it back on the grill for a few seconds if it's under, but there is no return from going over. When I went Weber it took me a LONG time to adjust my cooking times to the quicker side. These grills are just hot summabitches! B)

For thin steaks, I like to add a touch of corn starch when seasoning an hour prior and stash in the freezer for 15 minutes to really dry out the surface and bring the core temp down. That allows you to get a really nice sear quickly before the middle goes over.

The problem with ribeyes is that they like longer cook times to render all that delicious intramuscular fat. That's how you get it tender. Hard to do when they're under an inch thick. Hood's suggestion for chuck eyes is a great one. Much better bang for your buck.

Yeah. I'm going to attempt chuck eye next time in addition to not seasoning the night before.

A little late to the party/thread. But I definitely second the suggestion for Chuck Eye steaks. Excellent similar flavor, tender. About half the price.

Sorry that didn't work out for you. I don't go by temp because I cook over coal/wood. I go by how long I can keep my hand over the grate about 4". For I thin steak like that I would go 3 seconds for my temp. 1 minute each side, then 1 minute in a cool zone on the grill with the lid down.

To add a note: I would put them in the fridge on a rack, over a pan for about 4 hours to dry them out. Then take them out 30-40 minute to get to room temp prior to grilling. 10 minutes before grilling I would brush with clarified butter, and season liberally with salt and pepper only. After grilling during a 10 minute rest I would put on some garlic butter, and sautéed onions. Rest the steaks under a loose foil tent.

I was wondering what is the recipe, so that I won't have to throw them away. At the end I am hungry and dissatisfied and besides, I have to clean the grill...

So thaks for the recipe, buddy ;)

Another method I have tried and with wonderful results (so good it's now my got method) is the reverse sear method. Very slow roast until internal temp to your liking. (I ususally get them off about 120 to 125). At this point they're pretty much cooked but not rested and not nice to look at. I than rest them tented loosely under foil. During this 10 to 15 minute rest I get the grill screaming hot. Than I sear them quickly (usually lid up BTW) this keeps internal temp from rising much if at all. Put the sear on them take them off and enjoy.

This works especially well with ribeyes since ribeyes are very close to the chuck. They have far more connective tissue than say a strip. This allows the slow low cooking to break down the connective tissue and gently melt some of the fat internally to lubricate the meat fibers. Also visually it gives you a stunning steak. There will be no gray band it will be perfect doneness right out to the crust.