Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

improv

Grilled chicken marsala

8 posts in this topic

We're huge chicken marsala fans in this house. This is the first time I've tried adapting my recipe for the grill. I started by marinating chicken thighs and legs in marsala wine and herbs de provence for about 8 hours. I trimmed and dried the parts well, dusted with paprika and kosher salt, and arranged them indirect on the Akorn.

EPDCcthl.jpg

Started up the mushrooms in some bacon fat on the Genny side burner

32IYUrAl.jpg

After about a half hour at ~400, I added oiled and seasoned asparagus to the direct part of the grill. The mushrooms got tomato paste, garlic, butter, marsala, and chicken broth and reduced.

OuobPdil.jpg

The chicken got a tad over temp, but did not suffer any real moisture loss in the kamado.

NmPxdsEl.jpg

The asparagus turned out really smokey. I'm investigating ways to reduce that aspect because otherwise this was a really easy cook that turned out delicious.

UIXixK5l.jpg

Dave

What flavor wood chunks did you use in your Akorn?

The food looks great

I didn't use any smoking chunks for this cook, just Royal Oak lump. Next time I'm going to try a pan to get a bit less smoke. If that's still too much, I'll just foil them in the future.

Improv,

Beside foil and pan you could also experiment with other lumps.

If you can find Coconut lump it has less of the smoke bite, so does Chef Wagon lump. It is hard to get rid all of the smoke flavor but it can be mitigated somewhat.

I didn't use any smoking chunks for this cook, just Royal Oak lump. Next time I'm going to try a pan to get a bit less smoke. If that's still too much, I'll just foil them in the future.

Dave

What I have been doing (and you can thank Shelly for this)

Is to add some pellets to my lump.

The pellets come in a variety of flavors

You can also use the bradley smoker pucks.

They also come in a variety of flavors.

Dave

What I have been doing (and you can thank Shelly for this)

Is to add some pellets to my lump.

The pellets come in a variety of flavors

You can also use the bradley smoker pucks.

They also come in a variety of flavors.

But the issue here was too much smoke flavor with just the lump. How would adding more smoke help?

But the issue here was too much smoke flavor with just the lump. How would adding more smoke help?

By using the pellets or the pucks.

They will take the place of some of the lump.

They are used in place of the lump to change the smoke profile

You can get a steel pizza pan at Dollar Tree. I bought two and drilled about 35 holes in it and kept the other as is. They work great as diffusers.

The Royal Oak is about the best available lump around here. The other readily available kind is Cowboy at Lowes and HD and it sucks.

BJs has Frontier lump for $20 for a 34lb. bag...it's supposed to be good stuff. I'm going to get a bag. Still have 2-3 bags of Wegemans brand which is rebadged Royal Oak and is good stuff especially when you can get it on sale for $6/bag.