Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

improv

My first ever chuckie

14 posts in this topic

I've been wanting to do a chuck roast pretty much since I got my kamado. It's a rainy day today and I have off, so I figured I'd smoke it up with some vegetables.

I started last night by blending up onion, tons of garlic, tomato paste, sherry wine, worcestershire, salt, and pepper into a marinade that went for about 10 hours. Then onto the Akorn:

hPbu44Xl.jpg

I put the roast on at noon and gave it ~250° for 2 hours, taking it to about 160° internal, where it stalled a bit.

ZvVqfOUl.jpg

I added a skillet of veg and basted with more marinade.

0bRNykcl.jpg

Another 2 hours. Cook temp snuck up to 275° and eventually to 300°, but I let it go to try and time out the smoke to 4 hours total. Nailed it right on the nose and pulled it at 195°.

s2dD8wJl.jpg

I stirred the veg and put the roast directly on top. Wrapped the whole skillet in foil and now I'm finishing in a 170° oven for about 2 hours give or take. I am so excited to eat this thing. The smell it's generating while cooking is phenomenal.

I've been wanting to do a chuck roast pretty much since I got my kamado. It's a rainy day today and I have off, so I figured I'd smoke it up with some vegetables.

I started last night by blending up onion, tons of garlic, tomato paste, sherry wine, worcestershire, salt, and pepper into a marinade that went for about 10 hours. Then onto the Akorn:

hPbu44Xl.jpg

I put the roast on at noon and gave it ~250° for 2 hours, taking it to about 160° internal, where it stalled a bit.

ZvVqfOUl.jpg

I added a skillet of veg and basted with more marinade.

0bRNykcl.jpg

Another 2 hours. Cook temp snuck up to 275° and eventually to 300°, but I let it go to try and time out the smoke to 4 hours total. Nailed it right on the nose and pulled it at 195°.

s2dD8wJl.jpg

I stirred the veg and put the roast directly on top. Wrapped the whole skillet in foil and now I'm finishing in a 170° oven for about 2 hours give or take. I am so excited to eat this thing. The smell it's generating while cooking is phenomenal.

Looks outstanding. How's that Maverick working for you?

I have lost faith in the wireless ones and rely on my Thermapen....which was pricey but but is rock solid. I have also had great luck with one of these....a poor mans version of the Thermapen:

http://www.meritline.com/admetior-instant-digital-thermometer-blue---p-88562.aspx

I use the Admetior at our beach house.

Also picked up a 20 lb bag of Frontier lump which I am anxious to try.

The Maverick is ok. I cheaped out on an older model (ET7). The newer one that costs over twice as much apparently has a much better range and is popular. This one will go 100 feet but only through one wall. So I have line of site out the back door through my dining room into the living room, which is good enough for my needs right now. I'll upgrade in the future.

I also have a Thermapen for spot checking meat. It's very slow for air temp measurements, though.

The Maverick is ok. I cheaped out on an older model (ET7). The newer one that costs over twice as much apparently has a much better range and is popular. This one will go 100 feet but only through one wall. So I have line of site out the back door through my dining room into the living room, which is good enough for my needs right now. I'll upgrade in the future.

I also have a Thermapen for spot checking meat. It's very slow for air temp measurements, though.

I had the Maverick ET-73. It sucked. Only worked about 50% of the time and was finicky as hell when it did. The probe crapped out after about six months. Next time I go wireless, I'm getting a good one.

Everyone seems to like the ET-732 best.

Improv,

How was the final outcome of the roast and veggies?

A bit dry, honestly. I might top it with bacon or something next time... or use a larger roast. It was still very tasty, especially leftover sliced thin and tossed in BBQ sauce. The veg was lovely. I could see this being my favorite style of pot roast. Just gotta figure out how to keep it from drying out.

TawcemZ.jpg

2n3Z6wd.jpg

Certainly looks good, Dave. My one attempt at a chuck was not real successful -- I probably didn't cook it long enough.

But regardless, I have an opinion! :rolleyes: I think the extra two hours in the oven even though covered was probably too much and dried it out. If you're going to cover it (good idea), I would do it at the 175 or higher point and continue to cook it until 190 - 195. Then let it rest at LEAST a half hour.

At least that's what I'm going to do when I try to steal your idea! :P

Rich

I agree with Richlife I think pulling at 195 and then foiling with veggies did not help any. I'd do like mentioned and foil at a lower temp. Put you meat probe back in the roast and oven cook away and pull it out of the oven when the veggies are done the way you like them.

I'd also look for a rounder roast with consistent thickness to lessen the edge being/getting burnt. Heck at an internal of 195 you could have pulled that puppy for pulled beef sammies.

This is all good stuff here. I think you were on a great track from the beginning. Maybe pulling it sooner and then finishing it in a CI Dutch oven on the grill would give you a better result.

All the guides I read said to cook it to desired temp, and then foil and cooler/towels or warm oven (170°) for a couple hours to tenderize. I took it off on the early side because I wanted it sliced and not shredded/pulled. Perhaps it wasn't foiled tightly enough in the pan with the veg? Maybe I should have gone over 200?

All the guides I read said to cook it to desired temp, and then foil and cooler/towels or warm oven (170°) for a couple hours to tenderize. I took it off on the early side because I wanted it sliced and not shredded/pulled. Perhaps it wasn't foiled tightly enough in the pan with the veg? Maybe I should have gone over 200?

I'm going off my experience with Boston Butt (yeah, not beef, I know). I think going over 200 will cause even more problems.

I also agree that a "rounder" roast will get you more what you want.

Rich

Hey Dave,

Doesn't look dry, but i believe ya. Did you top it with something? I wonder if extra natural juices from a successful cooking experience could be frozen and for how long if such an emergency arises.

Anyways, whose lucky plate was that with the end piece? I usually ignore the doneness issue and go for the end piece especially when I order prime rib in a commercial establishment. Heck with the pink, I'll take the spices.

Enjoy,

elliot

I topped it with reserved juices from the cook, so it was wet enough. But the meat was mealy and dry regardless. I got the end piece. :)

Most guys take their chuckies up to 210 for pulled beef. So I don't think I overcooked it. I think I just let it dry out for too long while resting... not sealed up tight enough. A cooler might have been a better environment. Perhaps doing vegetables at the same time with a cook like this was not wise.