Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

ceedubb222

1993 Weber Genesis 1000 Rehab

3 posts in this topic

]Hey everyone,

So after stumbling upon this website and previously "inheriting" (more like saving from the city dump) my late Papa's old '93 Weber Redhead Genesis 1000, I decided to rebuild the grill myself, piece by piece, part number by part number, and I thought you all might like to see how it turned out. I know I didn't stick with the redhead look, but the opportunity to get a brand new complete lid assembly with stainless steel handle from Weber for only $119 was just too good to pass up, plus my old lid needed some serious restoration, primarily paint (and lots of sanding), so it wouldn't have been the original color anyway. I do, however, still have the lid sitting on my back patio, I'll upload some other pics of it later, so any advice on how to restore that to like new condition would be very welcome, that way I can have two different lids, one for summer and one for winter!

Anyway, back to the restoration of this Genesis 1000, I did everything to it I could, including all new stainless steel everything (burner tubes, flavorizer bars, cooking grates, handle, etc.), took the grill completely off it's frame and wet sanded before painting with Rustoleum High Heat Matte Black, and replaced all the external hardware as well, including the wheels and burner knobs. I also replaced the manifold, regulator and hose, and bought a couple brand new propane tanks to go with it, which I would eventually like to paint a matching color as well, just for the heck of it.

To maintain as much originality as possible, I also redid all the wood, what you're looking at is the finest red cedar I could find at the Home Depot, sanded down and then pre-conditioned, stained and varnished over a two-week period. I think it came out really well, what do you think? The grill didn't come with an original wood bottom, so I used 17 individual planks of the red cedar and cut them to a precise width, so they just sit on top of the wire basket on the bottom as snug as can be and don't move an inch. This way I can also take them out and just use the wire basket as well if ever need be, nice option in my opinion. I double reinforced the left hand work table and pop-up table as well, so they're as sturdy as can be.

I grilled a couple ribeyes and some corn on the cob last night, first time using since restoring, and the grill literally heated up to over 650 degrees (I cook hot and fast, Ruth's Chris style) in under 4 minutes. No hot spots, no flame ups, worked better than some new Weber Genesis Grills I've used, so am definitely happy! Total investment came out to $269, far cry from paying almost $900 or so for a new 3-burner Weber, and I also think these older models are of superior quality with twice as many flavorizer bars and steel cores, reason they can last 40 years or so, right?!?!

Let me know what you think, and any advice on the old lid would be helpful. I'd also like to eventually add an additional wooden work table on the right, not sure if that's possible, any ideas? Cheers!

~Chris

post-25946-0-61449200-1377811740_thumb.jpg

post-25946-0-68430900-1377811610_thumb.jpg

post-25946-0-86255200-1377811629_thumb.jpg

post-25946-0-34507700-1377811649_thumb.jpg

post-25946-0-11189000-1377811683_thumb.jpg

post-25946-0-43725700-1377811717_thumb.jpg

post-25946-0-44960900-1377811862_thumb.jpg

Looks real nice. In the future when you post pics downsize them to like 640x480 or they blow off the screen and are hard to view

Really nice! You did a fine job -- congrats.

Rich