Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cuskit

What does the Source, a china hutch and a grill have in common?

7 posts in this topic

Why me, of course! :rolleyes:

Here's another fine woodworking project I've completed. Had fun with some hand tools (my set of carving knives - no, not meat but rather wood carving) which combined with some of my really great shop machinery, a few hours or more (gasp) and some decent wood inventory resulted in a nice dining room hutch. This piece was commissioned, fabricated and installed for a lovely couple living in Spring Lake - a quaint little town on the Jersey Shore. For those who don't know me or my custom woodworking shop - I bring in materials in the rough (wood straight from either a sawmill or kiln). Using my jointer, planer, wide belt sander as well as hand planes, chisels and hand saws I turn these rough sawn timbers into pieces such as that displayed in this post. No outsourcing, I even run my own moldings and do all carvings in house. Between my hands and on occasion those of a some really gifted craftsmen I've had in my employ - we toil our way through sawdust, chips and splinters, culminating always in a very rewarding and satisfying completion of every project coming through my doors.

The design of this particular china cabinet was loosely based on a photo my client had taken from a magazine - basically just the carved valance in the center. From there she gave me free reign to create what I felt would fit into the decor of her house. So, after a couple of ideas in my head, a liberal time schedule and a couple of weeks later we we showed up at her house with the results of our toils. You see here what we did. We also ran all the room moldings and trim for this dining room. Another fun project and one more for the books.

You now ask what this has to do with grilling? I met this couple at a local hardware store while they were shopping for a Weber grill. I ultimately spent a couple hours with them discussing grilling, these forums and my participation here as well as many of the menus we've prepared on our grills. The next day they took delivery of a Weber Summit. We have since become very close and have been retained to do more work in their home. We will be attending a barbecue this spring at their home - I'm looking forward to that I can tell you for sure!

So, here ya go - enjoy the four photos as well as (hopefully) clicking on the link for a YouTube slideshow video chronicling the fabrication of the upper unit in my shop. I apologize for not displaying any video on the lower section - to be truthful, I lost the SDHC card that contained all the photos taken during the course of building the lower unit. :( Yea, I'm bummed not only on the loss of those pictures, but also the card itself. It was a 64 GB Sandisk Extreme Plus UHS-1 Card with speed up to 80 MB/s... Expensive little bugger and hard on the wallet when you lose one!

See the video here:

Be sure to view the video in it's YouTube window and please click on the "like" button, as well as "Subscribe" to my channel for more exciting videos. Thanks again folks! :)

Heirloom China Hutch Cabinet:

post-640-0-68495100-1393870609_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-16161500-1393870612_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-41990000-1393870613_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-66310600-1393870614_thumb.jpg

Cuskit,

Nice work.

I think you would enjoy Yukon Lumber down here in Norfolk. When I was on active duty (Navy) I was stationed at a joint command and had a Air Force 05 working for me that had every wood working tool imaginable (well at least to me). I wnet over to his house one day and commented to his wife who was a really good egg that she was the only woman I knew that had a closet sized kitchen and whose husband had a warehouse sized wood shop. Was surprised I did not get the business end of a frying pan upside my head.

One day this guy (Mark) and I played hookey from work after lucnh and ventured down to Yukon lumber. Both went in sepearte trucks towing trailers to cart wood back to his place. I was amazed at all the different types of woods and what it looked like all rough wood. Was a amazed at the furniture he produced.

Thanks for the post.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the compliment! :)

Yea, I'd probably enjoy getting down there! I'd be like a kid in a toy shop - nothing beats a couple loads of rough timber, knowing what you can do with them.

Okay, I have to ask - what's an Air Force 05? My military experience is my twin served in the Army in Vietnam (helicopter pilot), my Dad was in the Army in WWII (served on a hospital ship), my Uncle a Marine paratrooper in Korea, a nephew served on a nuclear sub (Navy), a brother-in-law Air Force in Vietnam, another BIL Vietnam (Army) and my Mom a WAC in the Army. Yet - I've no idea what an "05" is.. I'm embarrassed to ask since I feel I should know that, but I just don't. But I can say I've no bigger hero than any person who's ever served for our country - past, present or future!

mike

Mike,

You will never be an embarrassment. Its my fault for throwing military speak out their. An 05 is a Lieutenant Colonel and this rank is used by the AF, Marines and Army. Of course the Navy and Coast Guard go a different route and an 0-5 is a Commander.

V/R

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I assumed it was for a certain rank, but not sure. If my twin brother was still alive he'd probably have given me one on the cheek side for not knowing! ;-) I do hear those referenced on tv and movies often and always wondered just what rank status each one meant. I appreciate you enlightening me on the 05!

well done sir, but....where did you hide the grill? flip top counter? :)

kidding aside, it's amazing what can be done with skill and tools and passion. A couple of colleagues of mine (computer coders no less) had great shops at home and didn't really know each other were so into wood working until retirement. sort of funny. Neither would work for money but if you asked they would make some of the most amazing pieces just for the joy of it.

well done, keep up the fantastic work.

Thanks Grilla! See my other post (The Next Norm Abrams) for my reply to your post there. mike :)