Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FrankM

Success At Last

3 posts in this topic

I wasn't going to say anything about this, since I know for certain that many of you mastered the art of barbecue long ago so why should my little success matter. But I just can't help myself, I gotta tell somebody. I've tried and re-tried over the years and produced some not very good and some just okay examples, but last Sunday I nailed it. This would be my second attempt on my Weber kettle. The first try was okay. Not great, just okay. In thinking about that last effort I identified a couple areas I could improve on.

I set up my kettle for indirect with Minion method briquettes on one side and water pan on the other. Lit the fire and closed off the vents to bring the temp down to 250°. Don't be in a rush. This is where I screwed up the last time, in that I put the ribs on before the temp was stabilized. In plain English it was too darn hot. I was using the lid thermometer as well as an oven thermometer on the indirect side of the grate. I finally got them in sync at 250°, added a nice piece of pecan wood and put my dry rubbed loin ribs on bone side down. I had buried two pieces of pecan in the unlit coals to give me some smoke later on. I waited an hour then turned the ribs. I was a little concerned as I didn't see a lot of smoke pouring out but it smelled good so I pressed on. No flip here, just a turn to keep from overcooking one side although that was not a problem with only one rack. The temperature was rock solid at 250° At two hours I wrapped the ribs in HD foil and sprayed them with a mixture of apple juice and cider vinegar for a Texas cheat, and put them back on the grill. At this point the ribs weren't showing any signs of pull back so I cracked a vent to let the temp creep up to 275°. At the end of three hours I unwrapped the ribs, now that's what I'm talking about!!!!! There was a nice uniform pull back all across the rack. I'm thinking, man we are really close here, I better be careful to not overcook this babies. When I picked up one end with my tongs they really bent so I knew I was close. So back onto the grill which was still at 275° and now I started saucing. Waited ten minutes, sauced again, waited another 10 -12 minutes, sauced both sides and loaded them onto a platter and into the house for a short rest.

I cut them apart and let my wife go first as she's the canary in the coal mine. In fact they were fantastic, moist, nice smoke ring, meat just sliding off the bone. They were so good that SHE wanted to have the leftovers Monday night. This is from a woman that doesn't ever want ribs, so I took that as a pretty strong endorsement that I finally got it right. This was a major hurdle for me and I feel really good that I can finally produce something that can be enjoyed with no excuses.

Thanks for listening/reading, I just had to get that out.

Frank

Frank,

Good job!

The old addage of "eat no swine until its time" is alive and well.

Frank - well done! Sounds like you've got your kettle wired now for ribs. Patience is always a virtue with slow cooking meats, and maintaining that humble temperature is equally as important. Happy you nailed it and made the wife happy, life doesn't get sweeter than that! Kudos, my friend.

Now, ever hear the phrase "no pictures it didn't happen"??? ;-)

mike