Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Ronald

Costco Road Show

9 posts in this topic

Now for starters my Weber gas grill is fine

With that said Costco did it to me again

I was in Costco and they were having a Traeger grill roadshow

I was looking for a small dedicated smoker

I had my eye on a WSM to match my gas grill

I had tried the Akorn Kooker because I missed the Roadshow Vision sale

The Kamodo style cookers are not easily refueled for long cooks

Anyway

There was a Traeger Junior for $299 just calling my name

It came with a cover and some rubs

They were also selling pellets for $14.50 for 20lbs

With the Costco return policy the deal was too good to pass up

I purchased this to be used as a smoker.

For that it works well.

I can actually fit more food in the JR. Than the Akorn

I much prefer burning Pellets to Cowboy Lump charcoal and adding wood chips

Yes for smoking I have come over to the Pellet side

Hey Ronald,

Let us know, as I'm sure you will, how Junior works out.

I'd be interested at that price, to compare the results to my modified Gennie if you find it a worthy smoker.

Be well,

elliot

Ron,

My grill guy gave me a Green Mountain Davy Crockett to full around with. Its their portable model but has a digital controller on it. Got to admit it's not very portable least wise not in my opinion.

You can put alot of product on it, however I'm not convinced for me anyway that pellets are away to go yet. I like my Kamado's better (BGE's & Kikuya) seems to deliver a much better smoke flavor and ring. My eyes and mind are still open to pellet cooking so time will tell.

Have to ask the question why on earth were you using Cowboy Lump? That stuff is "sh*t house doors off of fishing boats" laced with varnished hardwood floors and moon rocks. I really don't pay much attention to Naked Whiz's lump data base either even though he puts alot of time into it. One of his reviews mentions Chef Wagon lump and gives it a poor review. I've had nothing but success with it and have gone over 21 hours in a large BGE without refueling without any of the funky smell he discusses about the smoke.

Looking forward to your reports on the Trager.

Jeff

Elliott

I will let you know

I'm going to do some side by side cooks of the Pellet Smoker vs my Kamado Smoker

Vanole

I went through many types of charcoal in the Akron

I only have the Akorn because I missed out on the Costco Road Show earlier when they had the Vision BGE knockoff.

There are a couple of things about kamado type cookers that I don't like.

Mainly the fact that you have to do a very good job on anticipating how much fuel you will need for a 10 or 12 hour cook.

As in order to add more fuel is to remove your meat and then have to set the temp all over again.

I was originally going to get a GMG Davey Crockett but I didn't for the following reasons

1. Portable in name only.

If you need two people to Carry it, it ain't portable

2. The dealers in DelMarVa are overcharging for the smoker and GMG has no solution for the consumer

3. You can't order parts directly from the GMG website

4. The Traeger JR is larger

5. I got the Traeger 3yr warranty plus the Costco warranty over the 2 yr GMG warranty

6. Because of item 2 the Davey Crockett is being sold for approx $175 to $200 more than the Traeger JR. at Costco

7. I prefer Traeger Customer Service and there integrated website

Ron,

I got past trying to figure out how much lump was required. Just fill the firebox and you have no issues. Once your done cooking snuff the fire out put rain cap on and reuse the lump/sumi in the fire box has been working for me since the 70's.

Never seen the Traeger model you have in person. I've seen their portable where I go to get Holland stuff and they want $259 for that which I think is way too much for the amount of grate space and type of controller it has and it weighs about 40lbs. My grill guy sells the GMG Davy Crockett for $379. My intent when he lent me this puppy to see if I liked a pellet grill or not and then if so splurge on a Mak or Memphis. Right now at least I think I'm going to save my money and fly a couple of hours while snowbirding in Fl this winter.

Sure sounds like you got a decent warranty and that is a real good thing.

Ron,

I got past trying to figure out how much lump was required. Just fill the firebox and you have no issues. Once your done cooking snuff the fire out put rain cap on and reuse the lump/sumi in the fire box has been working for me since the 70's.

Never seen the Traeger model you have in person. I've seen their portable where I go to get Holland stuff and they want $259 for that which I think is way too much for the amount of grate space and type of controller it has and it weighs about 40lbs. My grill guy sells the GMG Davy Crockett for $379. My intent when he lent me this puppy to see if I liked a pellet grill or not and then if so splurge on a Mak or Memphis. Right now at least I think I'm going to save my money and fly a couple of hours while snowbirding in Fl this winter.

Sure sounds like you got a decent warranty and that is a real good thing.

Thanks

The issue I have is getting the charcoal/ wood chip ratio worked out

I think I'm going to start keeping a log

I'm not yet sold on a pellet smoker either.

I think I will get a Vision at the next road show.

My issue with all grills and smokers is the environment in which I keep it.

Since I have extremely high humidity and salt air and mist.

A cover does more damage than good

It never drys

The 304SS and Ceramic cookers do not rust.

For my environment they have proven to be the best options.

My Akorn has been repainted with Rustoleum High Heat Grill paint

That's all that's holding it together

I knew it was going to be an issue when I got it.

Hence the look at a pellet smoker

I find it interesting that Traeger actually says to keep the smoker waxed.

At least they did address the issue.

In the back of my mind I am actually considering a Weber Smokey Mountain and adding the pellet hooper to it if the Traeger can't survive.

Ron,

Know what you mean about the weather here in the Mid Atlantic region.

I have pretty much zero'd in on one thing for all my grills and so far so good in keeping Mr Rust away. Its a bit pricey but its called Sheila Shine. Works on Stainless, Aluminum, Plastic, Leather, Brass, Fiberglass (motorhome loves this stuff)and more. Its a polish/Surface protectant. Can be found at Ace hardware. If you consider buying it get the liquid form (I was a moron and bought the spray version) difference in price is negligible and the liquid version comes in a can somewhat like Paint thinner. A little bit of this stuff goes a long long way.

The WSM idea is sound in my opinion, I've seen a hopper for the Kettle before and it looked pretty nice. Now if you have some money running up hill or stuffed in your mattress take a look at the Black Olive its a ceramic kamado that can be bought in a pellet version.

On the wood to lump ratio in a Kamado I never add more than a hand full unless the audience really likes smoked flavor. Sometimes even on that (crowds who really like smoke flavor) I just throw the guests of honor in the freezer for about an hour before I start cooking them. With that approach it just takes longer to get above 135 degrees or so hence the guest of honor is in contact with smoke longer. I also have to admit I only use the BGE's and Kikiuya for long lo and slow cooks. I have a couple of other grills that do a better job on quicker/leaner items that I can get some smoke into the mix if need be.

Ron,

Know what you mean about the weather here in the Mid Atlantic region.

I have pretty much zero'd in on one thing for all my grills and so far so good in keeping Mr Rust away. Its a bit pricey but its called Sheila Shine. Works on Stainless, Aluminum, Plastic, Leather, Brass, Fiberglass (motorhome loves this stuff)and more. Its a polish/Surface protectant. Can be found at Ace hardware. If you consider buying it get the liquid form (I was a moron and bought the spray version) difference in price is negligible and the liquid version comes in a can somewhat like Paint thinner. A little bit of this stuff goes a long long way.

The WSM idea is sound in my opinion, I've seen a hopper for the Kettle before and it looked pretty nice. Now if you have some money running up hill or stuffed in your mattress take a look at the Black Olive its a ceramic kamado that can be bought in a pellet version.

On the wood to lump ratio in a Kamado I never add more than a hand full unless the audience really likes smoked flavor. Sometimes even on that (crowds who really like smoke flavor) I just throw the guests of honor in the freezer for about an hour before I start cooking them. With that approach it just takes longer to get above 135 degrees or so hence the guest of honor is in contact with smoke longer. I also have to admit I only use the BGE's and Kikiuya for long lo and slow cooks. I have a couple of other grills that do a better job on quicker/leaner items that I can get some smoke into the mix if need be.

My mattress is empty

I had my youngest graduate college in may

My wife just got her PHD and she turned 50

I'm trying to get a larger boat

My grill budget is shot

How is the GMG working out.

Just so you know , there is a store in the ohio valley called Menards.

They are selling the Pit Bo's 820 for $399 as part of there End of summer sale.

It's the same size as the Daniel Boone and the Little Tex

It is Dansons first entry into pellet grills/smokers for the masses.

It is a completely different line than there Country Cookers

The best thing. Is that it comes with free shipping

I thought it was a poem or a limerick at first.