Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vanole

Holland Epic

4 posts in this topic

Well I added another Holland to the herd. This is the first new Cabinet Cart Style Holland I have owned. I went with the Epic because a couple of years ago I bought a Searmate and attached it to my Holland Classic and the Searmate was black in color vice stainless steel. With that in mind I thought the Searmate would look better on the Epic than on the SS Apex plus I got an incredible deal on the Epic.

First thing I noticed is that I really like the cabinet cart version of this Holland. Cabinet is square and door hangs on it perfectly. This provides a very stable unit for the grill box. My older Classic was and extremly stable unit also, however the design on the Legacy allowed for a bit of a wobble now and again which I did not carefore. The only swing and miss in my opinion on the lower portion of the grill cart is the casters. Though high qulity rubber wheeled they are too small to comfortably roll this grill around on anything but the smoothest surface in my opinion. I've gotten hung up twice while moving this grill around on a walkway with a crack in it.

The grill box really had no design change to it other than the stacks appear to be shorter and squater. Lower right portion of the grill box has a smoker drawer not sure how effective it is or will be. Lid has an easy read thermometer mounted on it. I typically don't rely on those so I won't speak of its reliability. An area that has been dumbed down is the following internals drip tray, heat diffuzer, cooking grate.

Drip Tray is made of a much lighter aluminum material than my Classic or Legacy.

Heat diffuzer is made out of stainless steel on this grill compared to cast iron on the Classic and Legacy.

Cooking grate is still made out of high quality food grade stainless steel but the edge wrapping of the cooking grate is made out of the same lighter weight aluminum that is used in the drip pan.

This grill cooks in the 425 degree range which is hotter than both the Classic or Legacy and I feel that temp difference is due to lighter construction of the drip tray and heat diffuzer.

Concerning grate temps. I utilized 5 cooking grate thermometers in a X pattern across the cooking grate. After a 30 minute burn all thermometers read 425 degs with the exception of the lower right front thermometer (which surprised me) read 435. That reading if the thermo was not bad could help the smoker drawer be a bit more effective.

Just like all Hollands with the exception of the Companion portable grill this grill has no temp controls its on or off with nothing in between. Like I have said in the past Hollands are not for everyone, however its a great entertaining grill and the food that comes off of these grills is second to none.

Owners manual and documentation that comes with the grill is good.

I have dealt with Hollands customer service in the past and its as good as Webers is perceived so you will have no issues with part support or service.

If you have any questions about the Epic or Holland grills in general fire away.

The wonder is that you ever get to use them all!! :D :D

Since the casters are all you don't like, hopefully will be easy to replace them. Looking around in my shop last week, I found six sets that might be suitable. Take a run on down...

Rich

Rich,

I've already been sniffing around for a new set of casters. Think I found what I want at Taylors now have to get motivated to change them out. Hopefully do the swap out before I head south for the winter. Slowly been loading the M/H and plan on being southbound by the end of the month. Think this will be my last trip drving down though the Mrs is/has been house hunting in Florida so I think a move is in our not too distant future.

Don't tempt me running down to NOCAR I've seen pics of your hacienda and think I could camp out on your porch and be one very happy camper or "Q"uer.

Jeff

Snowbird, huh? That's a good purpose for a motorhome. Have you found a particular area of FL that you like best? -- sounds like it if you're scoping out homes.

But moving would sure be a major venture for you. I think you said at some point that you've been in the tidewater area a long time, is that right? AND you would need a separate van just for your herd!

Rich