Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vanole

Flap Meat NAMP-185A

5 posts in this topic

Never have cooked this stuff in the past and fact can't find it here in the Tidewater area. My wife brought some home from her recent trip down south. Thawed it out and the way it was packaged she thought it was a brisket. The shape of the frozen chunk of meat looked like a Tri-Tip to me. When all else fails read the label.

After reading the label about Flap Meat everything I researched on the internet pretty much said its tough and is best to grill it hot and fast and it takes well to marinade. I'm not a huge hot and fast fan on anything. When we finally got this thawed out and opened the cryovac package much to our surprise this meat was already cut into 7 pieces. So the wife and I talked about it and figured we would give this meat a go on multiple herd members Weber Genesis, AOG and Holland.

This meat isn't skirt steak, flank steak, hangar steak etc ... It comes from a different cut of meat, though it is very similar. Did a bit of research for something different to marinade it with and found this site about churrasco steak (which calls for a different cut of meat) http://icuban.com/food/churrasco_cubano.html Along with the marinade we also made the cuban version of chim churi which BTW was great.

Set up as follow:

Weber: All burners on high grill topped out at about 650 degs. Threw the meat on and cooked each side for 2.5 mins for some nice grill marks. Turned the grill down to low and did each side for an additional 4 mins. Grill never really got below 500 degs rest of the cook. Results were great, meat was tender and done to a medium doneness. Great flavor.

AOG: Both burners on high grill was pegged at 850 degs and most likely much hotter. Threw the meat on for 1 min per side for spectacular grill marks. Turned the grill down to low and did each side for an additional 6 mins. Grill got down to the 420 deg range rest of the cook. Results were great, meat was tender and once again done to medium.

Both the Weber and AOG cook alike and looking at a sliced piece of meat you could easily see the grain and stringiness of the finished product. Both tasted great.

Then broke out the Holland and all I can say it debunked all the reading I did about hot and fast. Of the 3 cooks this was far and again the most tender and flavorful.

Holland: One burner only lit and chugging along at 420 degs. Threw the meat on and turned it at the 18 min point and continued cooking for an additional 18 minutes (36 min total). Taste on this one was much better in our opinion which means nothing. Meat was again done to a meduim. One big difference is that we did not leave much of the spices on the grill after the cook. You could see the spices on the meat and little if any left on the grill grate. A sliced piece had a different look not as stringy, but looked more like a typical steak off the grill.

I'm posting this not to start a grill war but to say that Flap Meat is a great cut to play with on the grill. I have to admit I'm a 2" Rib-Eye type of guy but am rethinking my meat of choice now. Heck at $4.99 lb what my wife paid for this I can eat a boat load of this and have money left over for some good suds.

Bottom line this meat when cooked and marinaded is very tender, full of flavor, cheap and would be a great addition at a party to feed the masses.

V/R

Jeff

Happy 4th, Jeff. And thanks for the commentary about the flap steak. I had to look it up to find that it is sometimes called the bottom sirloin. I only tried it once, but now will again try using your slow method.

As you said, people tend to know and pay for the "good" cuts of meat. And typically they are easier to grill since fast will usually work (though it may not always be best). The past couple years, I've been playing some with cheaper cuts. You may read about how many of them have better flavor. Brisket used to be a cheap cut before all the competitions made them popular. But the flavor is still best. I've found that chuck-eyes and blade steaks cook really fine when done slow and indirect and then add just a quick sear before serving. In fact, the chuck-eyes tend to be my go to steak now. Very flavorful.

Rich,

I read somewhere a few years back that "Chuck-eye" was the poor mans rib eye. I have to agree on that. I have a recipe for beef skewers (we called it monkey meat on a stick) like the ones sold/hawked on every street corner in the PI. Ate a gazillion of those darn things while on liberty there during my active duty time. It calls for chuck steak if you are interested in it let me know. Can do it on a gasser or kettle.

I did find one article on flap meat that said prior to butchering it is actually attached to the Tri-tip and then seperated. I will say this I can't find it around here however I'm heading south (house hunting) in two weeks and will come home with some. If we haven't moved by April 2016 you can take it to the bank that the motorhome freezer will have a few bundles of that in it.

Rich hope you and the Mrs. have a safe and wonderful 4th of July holiday weekend.

V/R

Jeff

Hi, Jeff. Hope things are going well with ya'll and all the good hangers on here at The BBQ Source. We've been working through the summer heat and now have been much enjoying the August respite Mama Nature has given us the past two weeks.

The grill continues to be active. Last evening fixed yet another 1" chuck eye (one of 5 I found at HT). So very good! I've run out of smoked beef shoulder and Boston Butt, so need to get the smoker cranking. I have a real hanker for brisket right now, so I thing the WSM will be loaded with a brisket, a small beef shoulder roast and two BB. That should keep me for a while. I'll get some pics when the time comes.

Rich

Rich,

That sounds like an awesome cook. Might have to sneak down to NOCAR while you are getting some shut-eye and do some looting of your smoker. Course I would leave you what I could not pry off the cooking grate.

See you mentioned HT. Have you seen a BBQ sauce their called "Mississippi Barbecue Sauce" the Sweet Apple flavor is my new gold standard in store bought sauce. I like it better than all the Sweet Baby Rays offerings. It takes chicken to another level. Can only find it at HT around here.

Waiting for the pics once the cook is wrapped up.

Jeff