Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

jrguzmanr

chicken and steak

9 posts in this topic

I just got my new EP-310 this weekend and I need to cook some chicken and steak tonight. From what I've read, they need to be cooked at different temps, do I need to cook them separately?

not really I do them all the time. Just start the chicken low/slow first when nearly cooked zone the grill to a higher heat. Leave the chicken over a burner either on low or off and do the steak on the higher side. Chicken pieces require about 40 minutes so jusy time accordingly

Nothing to add to what hood said. We all at times (and some of us amost always) cook various different foods -- meats, veggies, etc -- at the same time. Your new grill will take a little getting used to so you know how to used the zone options (each burner controls it's own zone and may be used in combo). The most frequent zoning I use is to have the right and left burner on while grilling in the middle.

Depending on which burners you use, you should be able to maintain about 300* or so with only one burner on Low, up to 500* or more with two burners on higher settings. Be sure to watch the grill and your food -- two burners on Med will easily and quickly get to over 400*.

Rich

Beef should be cooked at 145 ºF and three minutes of rest. Apart from doing all this efforts visit http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/restaurants/moon-thai-approachable-twists-on-traditional-thai-food-7290540 for delicious food.

Hmm, maybe you could say beef should be cooked TO 145* -- if you want a med rare steak. Lots of options for cooking steak. Not sure what that link is supposed to provide other than a tourist link.

Lopkar, the beef steak you grill is very dependent on the type and thickness of the steak. Search around in the source, and you will find many options to get you going. I recently had a whole New York strip cut into 1 1/4" steaks. That is grilled much differently than I do a thin cut or a chuck steak, etc. I'd suggest a few decent 3/4 - 1" steaks to start. Grill on high a minute per side (a little longer if you want med rare), and see if that's what you want. If not, do another, but change the time. Each cook, poke the steak to see what it feels like before you remove it from the heat and get to know by feel when it is ready. Also, you can use an instant read thermometer (like a Thermopen) to see what the temp is that you like. Descriptions like rare, med rare, medium, etc. are somewhat helpful, but they are a point on a continuum. You want to learn to grill to your own likes.

Good luck and post back here how you did. And don't forget to let any meat rest at least 5 minutes before cutting into it so that the juice flow from the outside back into the meat.

Beef to 145 is over done IMO. 120 = rare, 130 to 135 medium and 145 = burnt offering

True there are cuts that benefit from slightly higher finish temps (chuck, brisket, etc) but a "true" steak should come off the grill no hotter than 130 and rest for 5 to 8 minutes which will finish it about 135.

That's my story and I am sticking to it LOL

Anyway thanks for the info hood..ohh cooking beef at 145 is over done?I was not knowing ...since beef steak I have not done

Anyway thanks for the info hood..ohh cooking beef at 145 is over done?I was not knowing ...since beef steak I have not done

Awww hoods like me cut its balls off and put it on a plate (not his balls, the meat) yeah 130 is a perfect med rare and like hood im in the camp of after that its jerkey or dog treats