Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveA37

Forum activity

11 posts in this topic

Is this forum still active? I haven't seen any threads for some time, most recent are 2 - 3 years old. What's up with that?

It's active if people us it! Apparently there's little interest ;(

Maybe some 4th of July bbq activity will help bring in some posts. How about it folks? What are you all grilling up for the holiday weekend? Menus, photos and descriptions please! :):):)

mike

There is no question that traffic on the BBQ Source has slowed a lot. The original statement about no posts for years is definitely not true -- I suspect the OP is just not seeing posts in his area of interest. I also suspect that lot of folks are grilling but don't necessarily have much new to contribute. My grilling life has slowed due to my wife's meat allergy, but I still prepare almost all of my meals on my grill or smoker and a significant number of hers on her "non-meat/dairy" grill. How many different ways can you describe or take pictures of the kinds of meals that you have already discussed? And we all have various interests and events in life that have to be managed.

But since you ask, Mike... :P

For the 4th, I have my grandsons coming on the 3rd to help smoke their first brisket. Not their first eat, they love my brisket. But at 11 and 13. this will be their first overnight smoke. (At least their version of overnight -- I suspect THEY will get a good night's sleep -- and I will not.) As part of the festivities, we'll have our annual re-watching of "Independence Day" -- this time in prep for the sequel. (I don't care about the reviews, I'll still watch it.)

The boys will get to unpack, clean, watch the fat removal, try their hand at doing the rub, monitor the smoke, help wrap and add apple juice at the right time, help with testing and removing the tender roast, wrap in towels and put in the cooler for resting, remove and smoke the point some more for burnt ends, and participate in the cutting, carving and serving. And maybe they'll want to eat some! :lol: All of our family in the area will be coming for our meal.

So this will be a special Fourth! How about yours?

Rich - that's great how you are introducing the grandchildren to the world of bbq/smoking... That combined with the Independence movie sounds to be a great holiday in the making! For myself - after watching the trailer, I'm highly anticipating an excellent sequel regardless of any reviews!

Have a great weekend, both you and the entire family group gathering at your house!

mike

I made some grilled chicken sandwiches using an orange juice/Dijon mustard marinade. I toasted some corn-dusted buns and grilled some onions in butter on the side burner, and added some fresh lettuce and tomato. The result was delicious!post-3728-0-41559500-1467488922_thumb.jpg

Has been a fine 4th, Mikey. Time to relax!

A most interesting brisket cook... 12.5 lbs with way more fat than it appeared. The boys did a little of everything including trimming the fat. "It's a lot harder than it looks." And before starting on the brisket, they cleaned and set up the marinade of some wings which we also smoked. The 13 yo was enthusiastic and really loved it. The 11 yo participated. (Maybe next time.)

I anticipated 12--15 hours for the smoke, but I wanted to try wrapping it in foil at 150*. Everything went as anticipated for the first couple hours and we eventually got to 150 and did the foil wrap with six oz of apple juilce. (Meantime, the wings were done after 1 1/2 hours, were cooled and put in the fridge in a freezer bag.) At that point the thermo went into double time! I couldn't believe how quickly the temp indicated the brisket was getting done! After 6 hours total, we hit 195 and testing with my Thermopen showed the same. The meat seemed a little stiff like still cool butter, but I decided to call it cooked. Wrapped the whole thing in towels and put into a cooler while we went to watch Independence Day extended edition (with a break to make popcorn). After the movie the temp had dropped to 165 (probe slid in faster) and I decided to wait a couple more hours and then refrigerate it and go to bed.

This morning, I looked up various opinions and then decided to do as planned after seeing the accelerated finish -- put the wrapped brisket in the oven at 250* for a couple of hours until the temp went up to 145. At that point sliced (was nicely tender and juicy), topped with some of the drippings and sent out for testing by way of my sister. Beforehand, I had added more Franks Red Hot and some EVOO to the wing bag, mixed and tossed in a half cup of Panko, shook and grilled on medium indirect long enough to heat well (165+) and crisp. By the time I got outside, there was a half slice of brisket left along with two smoked wings. (Some had gotten in two helpings before I got there...) But my! they were good (and I have some leftover flat and the point). Sheila had made potato salad and baked beans. My sister brought a vegan fresh peach gallette and we all had a fine meal. At least that was the way the reviews went!

So -- I was shocked at how fast the cook went and will be trying that method again as it all went very well. Smoking temp was right at 235*. Got a little warmer after the wrap, but never over 250 and that dropped pretty quickly. I will also be doing the wings that way again -- I recommend you try it if you haven't done them like this before.

Hope you and others also had a good 4th of July cook!

Sounds like a great cook Rich, but there must have been some kind of oversight as I never saw my invitation in the mail LOL

Oh! I thought that went without saying... :P

I had an after-the-event discussion with my older grandson -- the developing cook. We both agree that while this brisket was good and we both like the juicy tenderness of it, we both also preferred earlier cooks where I did not wrap at all and got a little drier meat but great bark and flavor. This technique is worth a try if you haven't done it, but we decided that next time I will do everything the same (generally) but open up the foil for at least 30 min at the end to try to develop better bark. I'll probably drain off the drippings at that point too. Until I get this figured out, I guess I'll just have to expect some big differences in cook times...

I've been seeing a show on PBS called BBQ with Franklin or something of that nature. The guy is a little quirky but fin to watch and pretty informative. He calls foil wrapping the "Texas Crutch". He also has a technique doing a wrap with butcher paper. Kind of bridges the gap. Good bark and keeps it moister and very flavorful. I just don't ever have a big enough crowd to do brisket and I don't want to bother with a little flat I'd love to do a whole one.

I understand the hesitation on preparing a chunk like a brisket, but I've found that it tends to freeze well. And leaves a great aroma in the freezer bag for opening! :P

I've also tried doing a couple of chuck roasts ala brisket, but somehow the flavor and texture hasn't been as good. Not bad, but brisket remains king in my book!