Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bten

Weber Genesis Silver B Rebuild

10 posts in this topic

I just picked up a used Genesis Silver B for a song. I intend to rebuild it and give it to my son. The top is in great shape, and the burners look good, still need to check them out.

The bottom pan looks to have been replaced in the last year or so, and is in good shape.

I need to put in a new drip tray. Of course, the grates, flavorizer bars and igniter are in bad shape, and I know where to sources those.

The pit has no casters or wheels. Before I replace with oem type parts, is there anything else that someone has done that might work better?

Looking forward to a fun rebuild project.

How much of a difference do the big wheels make? I can get 4 casters and just pop those in.

Thanks,

I don't know if the grill will sit level. You have to measure the length of the legs

I agree, I just ordered the weber parts. Tough to pay $50 just for plastic wheels, but I don't see anything else that would work right and look right.

Today was clean and paint day, I masked the grill and painted all the aluminum parts flat black. The main body was almost white, so I cleaned it and decided to do the top aluminum parts as well. That was going well, and while waiting for the paint to dry, I checked the thermometer. I read 170 deg F in a cup of boiling water. another thermometer I had was over 200.

Back to Amazon, thermometer ordered (I am sure glad I have prime!)

I then installed the new igniter, and it works well.

I decided to clean all the ports with a small screwdriver (eyeglass type). AFTER, I cleaned all all those litte holes in the crossover pipe and the back pipe, I started working on the center pipe. As was cleaning it, a small section between the slots fell out. Even though I had hit it with a small stainless steel brush, and it looked good, it turns out the burner is very brittle and the more I tried to do something with the hole, the bigger it got.

Back to Amazon, new burners ordered. If I knew I would have to change the burners out, I would have taken the whole base out to paint it, instead of all the masking I did. The joys of a rebuild.....

The grill is in great shape, as far as the body and frame go, (even the wire basket on the bottom is free of rust) it is the little things that drive me crazy.

New parts:

Wheels and castors

Grease pan and holder (small one at the lowest point)

igniter

burners

flavorizer bars (stainless)

grates (stainless)

thermometer

One quick question on the rod that the wheels are mounted on, is it 3/8" in diameter?

Thanks

I think 3/8 it is

Well, I got everything finished and brought it over to my son. He was impressed at how nice the grill looked!

The old burners were worse than I thought and very brittle. The crossover bar broke in half when I took it out.

Thanks for the help and advice!.

The wheels looked great, and the grill got over 650 deg F, when we burned off all the machine oils and a second time when we seasoned the grills. The old Genesis series really does perform well. This grill was a 2001 Genesis Silver B. I spent about $200.00, but feel like I ended up with a grill worth much more than that.

You did. It saved you from buying a made in China Weber so it saved you $1000!

At $1000+, there is no way he would get a Weber grill from me! :rolleyes: