Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bten

Using wood pellets in a gas grill for smoking

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone used wood pellets for adding smoke in a gas grill. I usually use wood chips in foil or a smoker box when doing any type of grilling. I get some smoke, but it usually doesn't last very long.

I have been looking a wood pellets, and wondering if they would be better? I have seen the smoker tubes for this, but it seems you have to start them with a blow torch to get them lit.

Can they be used in a standard smoking box without pre lighting the pellets?

I am trying to understand how they work and the best way to use them.

Thanks!

I know there are little prepared packs of pellets you can buy for gas grills that are disposable. Me, I simply take a bunch of chips in foil poke a couple holes and I'm golden. I actually can smoke things like spare ribs and get a smoke ring

I experimented today. I put a small handfull of regular wood chips in one of those stainless steel mesh pouches, and then put some wood pellets in on top of them. I flattend it out and put it on the grill. I found that the smoke lasted 3 times longer!.

I put some of the regular wood chips in because I wanted them to start the pellets.

I really like the way it turned out. I will do a boneless pork rib rack in the next week or so. I will put a bit more pellets in the pouch and see how it works out.

I am working with a new grill, and so far I am very pleased with it.

If you want to try something different get yourself an olde smoke cone or simular item at store. Light the smoke cone or simular item put your guest of honor on the cooking grate with your grill OFF close the lid. The smoke cone will burn for 25-30 min. After that fire up grill and cook away. Have had success with that method in the past.

BTW this cold smoke method works great for smoking cheese.

Thanks,

I have not gotton into cold smoking yet. Something I definitely want to try. Just started with pellets. I know my wife will be wondering why I have all those different wood chips, and now want all those different pellets!

I actually just used the cold amoke routine on 2 racks of ribs and have them now cooking away on one of my hollands.

Also have 3 racks in my BGE smoking away with my Digi-Q running the show.

I have looked at these, but you still need a blow torch to get them started. The method I used with the ss pouch, self started with the regular wood chips. It produced a lot of smoke because the pellets burned faster, but the smoke doesn't last as long.

Do you have one of these? How do you start it?

Thanks

I never use gas grill...But I am interested in that.

I bought one of those tubes and filled it with pellets. Lit it with a small torch. It lasted over 4 hours. Was great not having to contiually add chips.

I had been using the Man Law smoker box and cutting mesquite chunks into 1/4 a 1/2 thick pieces for quite a while and this works fine in this traditional "on grate" smoker box. I tried a batch of the smoker pellets in the box but didn't have too much luck. I could not keep the pellets burning / smoking even with the lid off the box. After lighting with a torch numerous times and letting them burn for a minute to really get them going they would fizzle out within about 5 minutes and need re-lighting. To keep them burning, I had to light the burner under the box and supply quite a bit of extra heat but this then made the grill to hot for what I wanted.

The smoker tubes let in much more air and I thought that may be part of the problem. I won't pay $15 - $50 for a piece of perforated stainless steel pipe called a smoker tube which only runs a few bucks a foot so I picked-up a stainless steel mesh drawn organizer for $3 and used it instead. This works fine.

Long and short of this: the smoker pellets work fine on a gas grill but a "closed" smoker box may not work well.

I bought one of the smoker tubes and a cheap torch. It does work well. mine last about 4 hrs. I find if I use a mesquite pellet, I can better taste the smoke on the food.