Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
u078356

Natural Gas line size??

6 posts in this topic

We are in the process of building a new deck. As part of the project, we are installing a new gas line from the meter to where we will be locating a Jenn Air 730-0336 grill. There will will have a valve which will have a quick connect on the outlet. We will connect the grill's line to the quick connect.

Question: does any one know the best size for the line from the meter?

I was thinking 1/4" would be fine, but I want to make sure.

UPDATE: Since I didn't seem to be gaining much attention on the forum, I contacted Nexgrill and after a 30 minute wait listening to some very soothing west coast jazz, I was able to speak to someone. They then spent five minutes trying to find a techie. Recommendation: 1/2" line.

Thanks!

David

We are in the process of building a new deck. As part of the project, we are installing a new gas line from the meter to where we will be locating a Jenn Air 730-0336 grill. There will will have a valve which will have a quick connect on the outlet. We will connect the grill's line to the quick connect.

UPDATE: Since I didn't seem to be gaining much attention on the forum, I contacted Nexgrill and after a 30 minute wait listening to some very soothing west coast jazz, I was able to speak to someone. They then spent five minutes trying to find a techie. Recommendation: 1/2" line.

Thanks!

David

David, sorry no one got back to you sooner, guess we must all be working harder today! Anyway, 1/2" minumum up to maybe fifty feet, 3/4" over that. If the line is outside, better to use galvonized, the black iron will rust eventually. If you have a long run, better to use the 3/4", there is just a small difference in price (material cost only, labor is the same) and you can only come up short on volume, never too much. You probably don't need a regulator on the grill, todays meters are already regulated properly. Mike

Thanks!

David

U078356:

As cuskit said, sorry you didn't get a response earlier .... welcome to the forum.

I can't help ya .... I live in an all electric house ... and I feed my JA with propane. ;)

Good luck with the gas line.

BTW - I've made many trips to Lake Jackson, on business. Nice community ... sure beat Midland, MI (a Dow reference) :rolleyes:

Billy Goat in WV

BTW - I've made many trips to Lake Jackson, on business. Nice community ... sure beat Midland, MI (a Dow reference) :P

Billy Goat in WV

Someone who knows the territory... I better be careful now...

The good thing about a gas grill in this area is that after the next hurricane, I might still be able to cook...

I just have to make sure I secure the grill before I leave town...

Someone who knows the territory... I better be careful now...

The good thing about a gas grill in this area is that after the next hurricane, I might still be able to cook...

I just have to make sure I secure the grill before I leave town...

Hey, we get the hurricanes before you! Not that I'd be sorry if they all missed us and continued westward. Oops, don't take that wrong, I don't mean to send harm your way! But I know what you mean about securing things, we get a good blow from our occasional Northeaster's hereabouts! And regardless of the electric lines blowing down, we can always cook, albeit in the dark < chuckle >. Have you had your line installed yet? Still waiting for those pictures < smile > .. Mike

Thanks!

David

David,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I purchased a 730-0337 and installed the line myself. One question is whether your line is copper tube or black pipe as they have much different capacities. And also how long a run will it be? I ended up running black pipe as I had a 50 foot run.

If you have already run the line fire the gill up and turn all burners on. Most report a 1 inch flame. I removed the regulator at the grill and it improved the performance. Your meter probably regulates the gas to 6-7 inches of water column and the regulator on my grill regulated to 3-5 inches of water column.

There are charts that show what size tube or pipe is needed for a given btu draw at varying run lengths.

http://www.firelogs.com/gasline.htm

This one is a bit conservative but gives an idea of what is recommended. Also I found the 1/2 " valves were sized for 1/2" tube, so when I installed the 1/2" black pipe line I actually used a 3/4" valve where the line originated so there wasn't a choke point. Good luck with the grill and give a shout if you need any help.

Add to post - also related to the quick connect my grill came with an pretty nice quick connect with a 10 foot flexible line. So you may not need to get the quick connect.

Dan