Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Grills Gone Wild

Outside Kitchen on your deck

20 posts in this topic

I'd like to see some pictures of your grilling area. I need to find a new home on the deck for the new grill and need some ideas. It would also be cool to see any other addons like prep tables, counters etc around your area.

I'd like to see some pictures of your grilling area. I need to find a new home on the deck for the new grill and need some ideas. It would also be cool to see any other addons like prep tables, counters etc around your area.

GGW -

Whole section on custom outdoor kitchens

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...hp?showforum=47

S

GGW -

Whole section on custom outdoor kitchens

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...hp?showforum=47

S

Thank, those were great, but none really done on a deck (i think Mlang has one) like i am looking for.

Its not a clear pic but is this what your looking for? Jenn Air three burner, Magic Chef stove with stainless top (salvaged from a burnt camper), and Coleman all stainless "garden cart" with sink.

Thank, those were great, but none really done on a deck (i think Mlang has one) like i am looking for.

Hey GGW -

I have my grills on a raised section of our deck:

1056738314_f1fc1b2f83_d.jpg

That is kind of a poor picture, but the best I have right now. The old table to the left is temporary until I get my act together and build my outdoor prep area. I have been putting it off all summer. I am planning on making a six foot long tabletop area that will include a prep sink and some under counter storage. Although I would love a solid surface counter top, I will most likely go tile. I am going to use composite siding material for the sides so that I can paint it to match the house.

When we are entertaining outside, I hate having to run back inside again. With the sink and work area, I could move the whole "operation" outdoors. Being on the deck, which I way, way overbuilt several years ago, gives me the ease and flexibility of running additional electrical, water and drains.

Do you have anything planned?

Mike

Here's a slightly better picture...minus the ugly bald guy:

1056837628_d036310c21_d.jpg

How big is that section of deck Mike? I was thinking of doing something similar. Right now i have one huge deck that runs along the whole back of the house. Its about 50 x10, Parallel to that deck is a above ground pool with a 16 x 10 deck off it that is attached to the main deck. Right now the grill is on the main deck against the house, to the right of the kitchen window. Which is great, we use it as a pass through, and i can put dirty items right into the sink from the outside, i can even use the faucet, so with the grill there, i have no need for a sink outside.

The only problem is with the grill there, it is kind of in the middle of everything, so i worry about the kids running around, but on the plus side, it allows me to socialize while i am cooking. To help with the kid issue, and to add some prep counter area, i planned on building some walls on each side of the grill about counter height and about 4 feet off the house, so the grill would be in its own little alcove, and i would have 36 x48" of counter space on each side of the grill. The counter would over hang on the two outside ends to allow a couple of seats on each side, kind of like seating at a kitchen island.

However, not having actually seen a 650, only a 450, i am worried that this whole setup might be too big.

The other option is to build an elevated deck off the end of my main deck, the area would be about 10x 8 and would have about 5 steps up to it, so i don't know if i want to be walking up and down 5 steps to and from the grill area. Normally not a hard task, but add the tray of food in one hand and a beer in the other to my increasing uncoordination and it could get ugly!

The raised area is approximately 18'x11'. It is the highest point of three elevations. Originally, I had the grills on the bottom elevation, next to our pool, but because I wanted to add a prep area, we moved them to the top. I like them up top because when we have kids around, they are out of the way.

The 650 is about 5-6 feet long (off the top of my head). Although four more feet of surface off both sides of the grill, might seem like a lot, I think you would find it really beneficial. Especially if it will do double duty for island seating.

At one point, I considered doing a drop in Summit, but seeing how much we move things around, I am happy with the route I went. My prep area will actually start on the elevation below and then take a step up as it appraoches the right side of the 650. It must be nice having a pass through window to move things out to your deck. I have to do the old "three steps down and three steps up" just to get to the grills. No big deal in the summer, but come winter, it gets to be a pain.

Mike

WOW - Sweeeet!

Scott

Thanks - A work in progress; part of a whole house re-do.

The grill is a Jenn-Air 720-0100 NG. Not meant to be built-in but 4 screws and the whole thing slides right out.

I've been lingering arount this forum for a couple of months now - great group of grill-heads here!

Thanks - A work in progress; part of a whole house re-do.

The grill is a Jenn-Air 720-0100 NG. Not meant to be built-in but 4 screws and the whole thing slides right out.

I've been lingering arount this forum for a couple of months now - great group of grill-heads here!

TJM,

Very impressive! Nice way to join up here, you obviously have the necessary credentials to speak up! :)

I'd like to extend a very warm welcome to you, happy to have you aboard. It's a great pleasure to view your setup, especially the integral look with a freestanding unit! Be sure to update us often, we absolutely love pictures!

You fit into my WOW! factor!

Mike

Thanks Mike, glad to be here and happy to answer any questions.

BTW - I just got the cabinet doors hung today.

Still need to install shelves inside the cabinets as well as shelves on the wall above the counter; that's tomorrow. Also need to install a floor recepticle under the table for a little heater on cool nights and maybe a lamp on the table for playing cards.

AZEK railing cap to install and paint the existing railing structure and I'm DONE. OK OK - I think I'm done but my Lady keeps adding to the list... <sigh>

Tom

Absolutely Great!

Now that is countertop space!

It must be nice not having to juggle an umbrella when it's raining!

Mike

Here is the oposite view

DSCF1947.jpg

Very very nice.